Australian DR-Z owners thread?

I've only just realised that I will never be able to rego my kicker because it does not have a compliance plate :p

Damn I feel like an idiot now. I should have researched this before I bought it :thumbsup:

I guess my only option now is to find an E model frame (doubtful), sell it (or part it out) and buy an E instead :mad::bonk:

Jabtronic , this bike is sold in australia registered , you should be able to apply for a complience plate from the licensing department . I did for my laverda when I swapped states , it didnt have a plate as the original owner never bothered to fix it to the bike . If all else fails get a registered one and keep the kicker for spares , imagine if you got an SM , then you could swap it to trail and road whenever you want . If you could afford it , greg

Hey Toggles - Do you ride much? I have not seen a single 2010sm in Adelaide apart from mine...was beginning to think Im alone with the KTM's and CRF's here.

Im North of the city though , and commute towards Holden.

I have just put the jet kit on and the new MRD exhaust. I've been flat out with my tafe course lately and the weather hasn't been the best.

I'm around Kmart on Anzacs.

If I do ride though it's usually up north with a mate.

We should catch up. Go for a ride. Have a chat. Laugh at my terrible riding skills :p

Jabtronic , this bike is sold in australia registered , you should be able to apply for a complience plate from the licensing department . I did for my laverda when I swapped states , it didnt have a plate as the original owner never bothered to fix it to the bike . If all else fails get a registered one and keep the kicker for spares , imagine if you got an SM , then you could swap it to trail and road whenever you want . If you could afford it , greg

From what I've read on the net, the DRZ400K/DRZ400Y (which I have) was never ADR certified, and as such never came with an approved compliance plate from factory. To get a compliance plate means the bike needs to be engineered which costs $$$$.

When I was inspecting the bike I blindly assumed that the (barely readable) plate on the stem was a compliance plate. However on closer inspection this is what it says:

MFD BY: SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION

THIS VEHICLE IS NOT DESIGNED OR MANUFACTURED

FOR ################### IS NOT EQUIPPED

OR APPROVED FOR OPERATION ON PUBLIC STREETS

ROADS OR HIGHWAYS. MADE IN JAPAN

DSC_0901.jpg

Obviously I'm not going to give up so easily, I'll make a few calls and see if there's any chance of registering this thing. But if not, it already looks like I may have found a complianced frame very cheap from a wrecker who is willing to help me out :p

Can anyone recommend an exceptional mechanic in sydney who can rebuild my drz motor, I live in the sutherland shire but dont mind travelling to find someone who is pro (kinda like eddie but I doupt that will happen lol)

http://www.battyesbikes.com.au/contact.html

They are in menai... Tell Fathead an old Bull sent ya.. :p

Toggles , don't worry mate - Im only learning the whole SM thing myself. Bike's going for its 1000km service next week (150km over that already). Id be eager to hear what your exhaust sounds like - have an fmf which is waaayyyy too loud , I'm on L-plates due to technicalities and don't want to draw attention from the blue's. We should catch up , I'll PM you.

PS : White black and blue 2010?

From what I've read on the net, the DRZ400K/DRZ400Y (which I have) was never ADR certified, and as such never came with an approved compliance plate from factory. To get a compliance plate means the bike needs to be engineered which costs $$$$.

When I was inspecting the bike I blindly assumed that the (barely readable) plate on the stem was a compliance plate. However on closer inspection this is what it says:

MFD BY: SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION

THIS VEHICLE IS NOT DESIGNED OR MANUFACTURED

FOR ################### IS NOT EQUIPPED

OR APPROVED FOR OPERATION ON PUBLIC STREETS

ROADS OR HIGHWAYS. MADE IN JAPAN

DSC_0901.jpg

Obviously I'm not going to give up so easily, I'll make a few calls and see if there's any chance of registering this thing. But if not, it already looks like I may have found a complianced frame very cheap from a wrecker who is willing to help me out :p

Well you learn sumthin every day ! Didnt know we ever got the unregistered model in OZ . Looks like you will have to go plan B

HEY greg .. i read somewhere that you had a YZ 125 X , so did i . did you have a CB 750 F2 as well ? if you did ... so did i

back in the good ol' dayz

Well you learn sumthin every day ! Didnt know we ever got the unregistered model in OZ . Looks like you will have to go plan B

Yep, plan B already underway. I called both the Suzuki Head Office this morning and a local Suzuki dealer to confirm that it can't be registered due to no ADR compliance plate from the factory. They both suggested 'plan B' as well :p It's going to be a hassle but I don't really mind.

HEY greg .. i read somewhere that you had a YZ 125 X , so did i . did you have a CB 750 F2 as well ? if you did ... so did i

back in the good ol' dayz

Would you believe they were the only bikes that I ever bought brand new , back in the day . Every other bike I have owned was secondhand , except for the DRZ which I bought new . Loved that little YZX , should have kept it so I could make a HL500 out of it especially now that I am going to race in VMX when it kicks off up here next year . How long did you have your F2 for ? Thats mine in 1978 in my avatar . Mine chewed out 2 cams and ate its own valve guides in the first year , wasnt too impressed with that one . Found out the oil galleries just were not big enough in that model to allow enough oil flow to the top end , could have been my liking for burnouts ? So got rid of it and bought the waterbottle , greg

Hi, another aussie DRZ400e owner.

Im at the bottom of the hills in Perth.

Never seem to get enough time to ride.

mine is an 01 400e, all up i have spent $3000 on my baby, thats including buying the bike, and picking up all the bits to get it on the road, eg DOT tyres, indicators, mirrors etc etc.

as well as a few xtras like handguards, stickers, engine protection etc.

I love the fact it keeps up with my mates crf450, and cost a 3rd of the price.

001-3.jpg

Wow, that bike looks immaculate! Well done :p

Are those graphics from ebay? They're pretty tidy.

Also what rear plate holder is that?

Would you believe they were the only bikes that I ever bought brand new , back in the day . Every other bike I have owned was secondhand , except for the DRZ which I bought new . Loved that little YZX , should have kept it so I could make a HL500 out of it especially now that I am going to race in VMX when it kicks off up here next year . How long did you have your F2 for ? Thats mine in 1978 in my avatar . Mine chewed out 2 cams and ate its own valve guides in the first year , wasnt too impressed with that one . Found out the oil galleries just were not big enough in that model to allow enough oil flow to the top end , could have been my liking for burnouts ? So got rid of it and bought the waterbottle , greg

yeah .. i bought my YZ 125X brand new from a FMF dealer , when it came time for a rebore i was told it was on the 1st oversize already . yep .. you got it , i'd been scammed ! :p

now .. i bought the F2 new in 1978 and loved it , it used to handle like your airport baggage trolley though . but so reliable , i dirt tracked , wheelied [ got arrested and thrown in the can ] . took it down the drag strip and it took forever to get to the other end LOL . thrashed it for 53000 klm and then got a new CB 900F and then a near new CBX and then :thumbsup:

Edited by chooken

cheers mate, it took alot of scrubbing to get the old girl tidy.

stickers were from ebay, got them from the US, which was heaps cheaper, and took less time to get here than if i would of got them from over east.

would be even cheaper now the dollar is so good.

I cant remember what brand the rear brake, plate holder is, but its another Ebay item, the light tucks up nice and neat under the guard, and is LED.

looks fantastic, and like it was built just for the DRZ, but it is a universal part.

I get most of my bits and pieces from the U.S. on Ebay, and I have saved hundreds of dollars, just on little bits and pieces.

I saved nearly $100 just on the 1 inch longer gear lever.

cheers,

Dan

Could be the edge tail light its very common on drz's

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/3/24/index.shtml

the light looks similar, but the bit that holds the number plate on mine, goes down into a point, rather than just straight across. either way, its a whole lot better than what came out from the suzuki factory.

Can anyone recommend an exceptional mechanic in sydney who can rebuild my drz motor, I live in the sutherland shire but dont mind travelling to find someone who is pro (kinda like eddie but I doupt that will happen lol)

RB Racing Taren pt speak to Harley or Geoff or SPM (Sydney Performance Motorcycles) taren pt

Anybody buying anything from the US soon?

Obviously most of our stuff are buying our gear from US ebay, TT store, Eddie or Wheeling Cycle Supply.. maybe if we arrange to order stuff together we can save on shipping.

I'll be ordering the Edge tail light from Wheeling Cycle Supply sometime in the next week or two. I'm also thinking of ordering a RM250 front fender.

RB Racing Taren pt speak to Harley or Geoff or SPM (Sydney Performance Motorcycles) taren pt

Cheers I was thinking about SPM but dunno about RB Racing. Heard afew bad stories about them last time I did a search.

Anybody buying anything from the US soon?

Obviously most of our stuff are buying our gear from US ebay, TT store, Eddie or Wheeling Cycle Supply.. maybe if we arrange to order stuff together we can save on shipping.

I'll be ordering the Edge tail light from Wheeling Cycle Supply sometime in the next week or two. I'm also thinking of ordering a RM250 front fender.

Eddie and Wheeling are nomrally pretty good on shipping although the TT store can be abit ****ing weird. When I checked how much shipping new valves, springs etc were to rebuild the head of my drz they wanted 150$ shipping @@

i my dealings with the USA , Eddie has the cheapest shipping . Eddie has the best products and the BEST back up to those products .