05 TE250 maintenance

My 05 TE250 is now well above 100 hours, but I don’t know exactly.

The piston and valve seals were changed in May and the bike is running great but the mechanic told me the rod and bearings should be changed soon because they tend to fail (sorry if I choose the wrong words, but my English is not very good).

I really like the bike and want to keep it for 2 or 3 more years, but according to the manual, half the bike should have been replaced by now!

Can someone tell me which parts should really be changed to be on the safe side?

Thanks!

I have had my 04 te250 from new. It has done 9000 miles. I have done 2 top end rebuilds and one complete engine rebuild.

In total it has had 3 pistons, 2 valves, 3 sets of valve oil seals, 2 cam chains. Had crank main bearings but still got original rod & bearings as they were well within the service limits.

It is difficult to predict when a part is going to suddenly fail but you can assess evidence of wear and damage, ?

I have had my 04 te250 from new. It has done 9000 miles. I have done 2 top end rebuilds and one complete engine rebuild.

In total it has had 3 pistons, 2 valves, 3 sets of valve oil seals, 2 cam chains. Had crank main bearings but still got original rod & bearings as they were well within the service limits.

It is difficult to predict when a part is going to suddenly fail but you can assess evidence of wear and damage, ?

Thanks a lot for you answer. I know it is not easy to predict what will fail or not, but some bikes are prone to certain problems, and that is what I am trying to know.

Like I said before, I really like this bike and I want to keep it running well for a couple more years but I am also trying not to waste money changing good parts.

Except for oil and filters, I don't do the maintenance myself and the mechanic charges by the hour...

Do you still use the original cylinder?

Yes it still has the original cylinder barrel, it has no wear or scuffing.

Glad to read that you want to keep your bike for longer, I have had mine 6 years and spent £1000s on spares and breakages I still think its the best fun ever. ?

Only one problem, My mates like it and a 'can I ave a quick go' lasts for ever:ride: