floating brake

My 2001 has the front floating brake. I have noticed that it not only floats side to side, but will also "float" front to back. If I lock up the front brake and move the forks through their range, at some point the brake then gives and the front wheel rotates slightly. I checked this because I thought I was feeling a "notchiness" in the travel of the fork while under heavy braking. Anyone else experience this?

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh what?

Is no one else experiencing this or is my description confusing? Any replies appreciated.

Yes, this is a nice feature. It reduces brake vibration. It was on both my KX's. It was not on my CR. I not sure it makes a big difference, but it's nice to have.

------------------

Rick

01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

A floating rotor will change its shape when hot.

If You try the same thing when the disc is hot the "float" should be a lot less!!

Numpsy

I thought the advantage of the floating system was less tendency to chatter under heavy braking....and a more "positive" feel under all braking conditions. Perhaps this system also requires more attention to maintenance as well to achieve this result?

When metel get s hot is does expand. But, On my KX's it always had the same amount of play. Even after a moto.

Boit:

You are correct it does reduce brake chatter. It also helps with grabby brakes. My KX had great front brakes, once I replaced the brake line and pads.

My 01 has a steller front brake. I am very impressed with it.

------------------

Rick

01 YZ426F #85 Vet C