XR650L Brake light issue

Hello,

I have a problem that I can't figure out. I have a 1993 XR650L. I went riding with friend a few months back and he mentioned that I did not have a brake light. The taillight only burned as a running light. I have no idea how long this has been going on, but I would like to fix the problem.

I cut a the original leads to mount a low profile light a few years ago. I decided to put the original tail light back on and the problem persist.

Electrical is not my thing, so not real sure how to hunt down the problem.

Am I messing a ground?

I matched the color code on the wires and soldered them and place heat shrink tube around each connection.

Any advise or help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Andy ?

One thing missing in your question is;; "I have checked the bulb and it's fine"

So is the bulb ok??,, and if so does neither the hand brake nor the foot brake have any effect.

I had to get one of my bikes inspected for use on the road the other week and I couldn't seem to get the brake light working no matter which way I had the wires hooked up to the rear light. The inspection guy told me to take the seat off and we'd have a look..One minute later he had it working correctly,,Wiring for the brake switch, brake light, running light was the wrong way round..Beats me why I coulldn't get it figured out as I'd tried all sorts of combinations of those wires with no success before I took it for the inspection,,Anyway..If the bulbs fine I say that is your issue,,wiring not correct to the rear light.,,even though you say it is..

When you have it hooked up correctly the running light is supposed to be kinda dim,,Sort the wires out so that side of it looks right first..ie,,dim not bright..then put your foot or hand on the brake levers and the bulb should light to full capacity..If it doesn't continue with the dim look but swap the other wires around till you get the bright part correct and you're more or less there. Forget the colour coding side of things and work your way through the combinations of those three wires which control the rear light/brake light,,nothing should blow or burn up..One of my other bikes (Non batteried 86 XR600) which has a LED rear light on it also has the same problem,,today I'll fix it or at least attempt to.,,Hoping it's not some resistance problem with it.

Edited by Horri

Thank you for you quick responce and your time.

Yes, I checked and replaced the bulb. The hand and foot brake...nothing. I also replace the plunger near the foot brake.

I'll disconnect them all tonight and try again to see if I have them crossed.

Andy

Andy said:: "I'll disconnect them all tonight and try again to see if I have them crossed".

Think you'll find that's the issue..Just fixed the ones on the 86 XR600 and sure enough,,wires round the wrong way was the problem..Take your time on it as theirs a few combos to try before you finally get it right..A comfy chair and some Crocodile clips attached to some spare bits of wire makes it easier to figure out.. Good luck and come back if it fails.

[quote=ajones,,Well it works. After trying several combinations, the brake light works. (foot brake only, but it's a start) The radio shack lead clips was the way to go also.

Does the running light and brake light work at the same time??..ie is that side of it now fixed and working how it should.??

If the hand brake side doesn't work then their may be a problem with the little switch that actuates the brake light. It's on the actual handlever assembly,,check it out and its wiring..Think it connects up behind the headlight so take a look in there as well..Should be the Green/Yellow and a black wire your dealing with in that department.

Edited by Horri

The running light works. When I press the foot brake the brake light works. I believe that both work at the same time.... it is brighter when the brake is on.

When I pull the front brake, just the running light works. Just a FYI, the bike is a '93 I updated the tail light to a '00.