Sign in to follow this  

California Motorcycle Trespass on Pacific Crest Trail

I have been recieving numerious complaints of dirt bikes riding on the PCT between Rosamond and Tahachapi.

I wanted to throw out the idea to this fourm to see what the best way to deal with this issue would be from the rider's opinion.

Earlier this year we had a large operation with many officers and air support that was effective but expensive.

I have had people lobbying for less officers but much stiffer penalities for those that ride illegaly such as having bikes confiscated. :thumbsup:

I have from riders that there needs to be better sinage that a reasonable person would know they were on the PCT or trespassing on private property.

Outreach to local groups/clubs?

I am up for suggestions. :p

I have been recieving numerious complaints of dirt bikes riding on the PCT between Rosamond and Tahachapi.

I wanted to throw out the idea to this fourm to see what the best way to deal with this issue would be from the rider's opinion.

Earlier this year we had a large operation with many officers and air support that was effective but expensive.

I have had people lobbying for less officers but much stiffer penalities for those that ride illegaly such as having bikes confiscated. :bonk:

I have from riders that there needs to be better sinage that a reasonable person would know they were on the PCT or trespassing on private property.

Outreach to local groups/clubs?

Open the PCT up to multi-use. Problem solved. If you want to make and enforce more laws, the result is more law-breakers. DOUBLY so when the laws are unfair and abusive. There are many sections of the PCT that should be open to multi-use. Dirt Bike riders are very tired of being shut out of most of the areas they have ridden for decades. Very tired. Unfair and abusive laws leads to lawbreakers. Does that surprise you guys?

If you WANT more incidents, more criminals, more fines, more revenue, continue on as is. If you DON'T want to make common men criminals, time to stop and take a look at what "the law" is doing.

WHO is lobbying for less officers, stiffer penalties? Doesn't make sense from either side to me. Sounds like a bureaucratic decision to make more $$$ while spending less. Typical middle management type decision.

So.......air support and more officers?? :ride::lol: Using a sledge hammer to kill a gnat. Come on, it's dirt bikes out on a trail in the middle of the desert.

BUST EM!!!!!!! :mad::busted:

Are these people worthy of the effort in a state with rampant crime (REAL crime) that is bankrupt? Or is it just more fun for officers to get out of the office / patrol car and have some fun on dirt bikes? (THAT I understand, but I wish as a taxpayer I wasn't paying for it.)

PS - who are you "the Law"? If you are in fact a public official, you should identify yourself. If not, you're just a newbie troll. :thumbsup:

Make a motorcycle trail next to it and mark the PCT closed

THAT is a freaking good idea. :p:thumbsup:

Better signage couldn't hurt. Several years ago I mistakenly got on very short segment of the PCT by accident. The location was near the microwave towers above Dove Springs. There were 4X4 posts with a small placket which was the symbol for the PCT. Not being familiar with the symbol and not being able to read it from the saddle contributed to the error.

It would be interesting and perhaps cost effective to install some temporary monitoring equipment to document actual incursions verses reports.

Confiscating machines is not very logical as some may suffer a penalty of $15,000 while others just hundreds for the same infraction.

I think the proven repeat offenders should pay big $ (a part of which could be their ride) but to be set by a judge.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

As a taxpayer, I find this infuriating. With all the violent crime, theft, etc happening, OUR resources and OUR tax dollars are WASTED on catching dirtbikers that have wondered onto a trail out in the middle of the desert:banghead: What the hell is wrong with you and your higher ups that are making these decisions? :thumbsup:

Here's a suggestion, if you and your peers have nothing better to do with your time than chase down dirtbikers out in the middle of nowhere, how about we lay all of you off . . . God knows the state could use that money for something useful.

• Like 2

as a taxpayer, i find this infuriating. With all the violent crime, theft, etc happening, our resources and our tax dollars are wasted on catching dirtbikers that have wondered onto a trail out in the middle of the desert:banghead: What the hell is wrong with you and your higher ups that are making these decisions? :p

amen!

Based on some of the descriptions above, it's very possible I have ridden on the PCT. I am unfamiliar with the desert and I wouldn't even have been riding down there if other areas weren't closed in Northern California but I digress...

First off, the signage is non-existant. Even if it exists and I just missed it, I wouldn't know a PCT emblem from a HOV Lane emblem. Do I want to ride on the PCT on purpose? Absolutely not. Does anybody else? Probably not. The type of trail motorcyclist seek out is not going to be the most beaten in hiking track on the continent. There are plenty of boring trails everyplace else to ride on that don't invlove the threat of impoundment and jail time.

Now I'm not familiar enough to categorically deny there is any reason what so ever to ride on the PCT (like it could be the only connector between areas for all I know) but ask yourself this... How many people have you caught that actually meant to ride on the PCT in the first place? I suppose you and I will never know for sure but I would bet almost nobody. All the trails in the area where I just now learned the PCT to be are not awesome. I doubt anybody is seeking out the PCT to hit it up because its such an epic riding experience.

So what did we learn here.... The PCT is not specifically a riding destination. IF people are riding on it, its for one of two easily solved reasons.

1. They don't know they are riding on it

2. There is no other feasible route to use when attempting to get from A to B through a particular area.

Both problems, easily fixed without requiring a freaking helicopter enforcement operation. In fact, you could of solved both with the funds you burned just using a helo once.

PS - who are you "the Law"? If you are in fact a public official, you should identify yourself. If not, you're just a newbie troll. :p

Guys, before getting too worked up like I did....:thumbsup:

Check the join date, and "The Law's" post history, and his/her spelling & punctuation. This is not the work of a high ranking law enforcement official as we are led to believe.

Too bad the negative gas tank thing is gone.....:mad::smirk: I think the law would be out of gas in minutes.....

i have a suggestion ... stop answering the phone. that will effectively cut down on complaints.

oh and i would like to report the theft of public lands by a special interest group and some corrupt bureaucrats that listen to them.

I also have serious doubts about "The Law" and motives, having said that;

The PCT will always be off-limits to motorized travel, that is not going to change. Something else which is a reality is the fact that the PCT passes through many ORV riding areas and incursions do have a negative impact on our riding opportunities. We are dealing with that now in the Piuets as the ORV management plan for that area progress. Incursions will result in a larger non-motorized buffer area which will result in less riding area and trail miles.

Bruce

We are dealing with that now in the Piuets as the ORV management plan for that area progress. More incursions will result in a larger buffer area which will result in less ricing area and trail miles.

Bruce

That's counter productive though. I like the idea of a trail system that parallels the PCT. That would take all the heat off the PCT, and put it where it belongs - on a legit OHV trail.

Putting "buffers" around the PCT is only going to accentuate the situation on that trail.

I like the idea of a trail system that parallels the PCT. That would take all the heat off the PCT, and put it where it belongs - on a legit OHV trail.

I agree, but in most areas new ORV trail miles is a tough sell, maybe even DOA. Most involved in the process are fighting hard just to keep what we have open today. Always looking for more help fighting the good fight.

Bruce

I believe we need to know just who is Mr. Law. Are you state, local or a Fed? Why hide behind the CHP that is just triple A with a gun. How many are numerous complaints? I bet none are from hikers. Just the three old ladies that do not own any land near the PCT.

Hire dirtbikers to patrol the trail system, kinda like a posse. Help to enforce the other laws that are being broken, like leaving open roads gated, and defication within water boundaries, and noxious weeds from stock, and the list goes on. I would gladly ride the back trails and wilderness areas and access what ever damages are occuring. Multiple trails seems good too, one for every user group, an interstate of trails, or we could all share like human beings.

Does it make a difference if this person is the law or not? Give suggestions or dont. Troll or not. I dont see as how it matters who it is. We all now this PCT issue and others happen, some by accident and others just dont care and ride where ever they want to. I hate the loss of ride spots and trails too. I think that more signs is obviously a place to start. I also think that the enforcement should work both ways. Start doing something about the trash and such the hikers leave behind. Put up some game trail cameras to see if bikes are really using the trail. Do the same at the dumping grounds for all the gal jugs of water left out there.

Does it make a difference if this person is the law or not?

Mike, does it matter if I impersonate an officer - in person or on the internet? Is it against the law? Asking a serious question. :p