What do you think? Not too bad for a '02.

Just had to show off my bike, bikes running great and hasn't needed anything since installing the SS valves and big bore kit (2 years ago!!!) so I thought I would put on some new plastics/graphics. Also got the ASV levers too. It's the cleanest it's ever looked since I've owned it.

The graphics are cheapo cr250 graphics off ebay. You can see how the bolt holes did not line up correctly. It was my first time installing graphics and was a total pain in the you know what. I took it to the dunes for Halloween and a couple of the corners are pulling up on the shrouds and sand got in there so I might buy a new set and try a different method of applying them (tried with a light mist of Windex and blowdryer).

The seat cover was also cheap and I only paid a 12 pack of CocaCola to a soda fiend at a upholstry place to install it ?

Next I want to put a headlight on it and get some decent black rims (maybe an '05 tank and shrouds as well) but that will sure take a lot of $$$.

Anyways, hope you like it - it's the closet I've ever been to a "new" Honda ?!

Before:

IMG_3509.jpg

After (wish I had the dirt tire on but oh well):

027.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

How do you like the big bore kit? Which Kit is it?

I love it. It is a cylinder works 488cc kit. I've heard a lot of people say the Athena kit is better but I don't know, I've never had it. All I know is that it is hard to keep the front end down in pretty much any gear now ? I didn't really need the extra power but but figure since I was doing the valves and had the money why not?

My wifes is getting a crf250x soon, I plan on doing the same, SS valves with a 290 kit - I would certainly use Cylinder Works again.

Did you have to re-jet the bike after installing the kit?

Was it just a bolt on replacement?

No jetting needed for me, but it states there there are jet kits for "Optimum performance". As long as the bike keeps starting first or second kick and doesn't pop or run hot, then I see no need for the jet kit. And yeah, it is a bolt on - new cylinder sleeve/piston/rings/and gaskets - thats about it. A perfect time to get work done on the head if you need it since it will be off.

I believe it is just like the Athena kits. Here is some info on it -

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/162206-cylinder-works-11002k01-engine-other-cylinder-works-488cc-+4mm-big-bore-kit?find=H0

Not where I bought it from but the same kit I got.

It really gave it a lot more low and mid power, the top end seems to cut out sooner but I'm sure that is mainly due to the SS valves. I noticed that the Athena kit says the water jackets are bigger to allow for more coolant to flow, I'm not sure if the CW kit does too but my bike never runs hot so either it does have the bigger jackets, or doesn't need it. I also saw some other posts that says that jetting the bike was more difficult w/ a big bore kit, but as I said I never jetted it (I ride at sea level to 1000 feet). Runs 91 pump gas just fine - I've never put anything other than that in it.

Hope this helps.

The bike looks great, but excuse me for being a complete noob ; Whats with the rear tire?

Thanks! It is a paddle tire for riding in the sand dunes. More traction in the really soft dune sands. We have some sand dunes here in Southern Californa, other in the US as well. I'm not a big dune person but a lot of my family friends go so I can't say no ?

nice bike brotha, I bought a 2002 crf450r at the begining of the summer, totally trashed except the frame and suspension was good. i stripped it down, new hot rods crank, new weisco 12.5 piston, hot rod mains, all new trans bearings, barnett clutch basket, just getting ready to stab the engine this weekend, just gotta order a new head, plastics and a sprocket set and im golden

nice bike brotha, I bought a 2002 crf450r at the begining of the summer, totally trashed except the frame and suspension was good. i stripped it down, new hot rods crank, new weisco 12.5 piston, hot rod mains, all new trans bearings, barnett clutch basket, just getting ready to stab the engine this weekend, just gotta order a new head, plastics and a sprocket set and im golden

Awesome! ? I hope you took pics of the process, I'd love to see them.

I want project like that too, plus you probably got it dirt cheap. I'd love to come across a cr250 in like condition and rebuild it - just for fun and to have the best of both worlds.

Anyways, good luck and put up some pics!!! ?

To this day I still miss my old 02. Loved the motor and when set up correctly would turn and handle with any bike on the track. I wish I could find a new one that was hidden away in a crate I would buy it in a heart beat.

• 2 months later...