Removing paint from exhaust head pipe

Hello,

Are there any negative consequences to removing the cheap black paint from the exhaust head pipe? It has started to peel in a few places.

I thought I read on this site that the header was made of stainless steel.

Is any removal method preferable (media blasting, chemical stripper, etc)?

Thanks.

I had good luck using a small, hand held sand blasting gun to strip down the pipe. I was looking for a more polished look than the blasting media left, so I sanded the entire pipe with 320, 600 and 1500 grit sandpaper. I followed that up with buffing compound and a wool buffing pad on an air die grinder. It probably took about 2 beers (2 hours ?) to get it all done. Looks great with the Two Brothers mid-pipe from Kientech, and the GSXR can. Do the header weld while you have it off, about 15 minutes work with the die grinder and a carbide burr.

Check out these threads:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700151&highlight=polishing+header

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=873918&highlight=polishing+header

No real negative consequences that I know of. Once polished, however, it won't stay that beautiful and shiny for too long. It will discolor a little.

Hello,

Are there any negative consequences to removing the cheap black paint from the exhaust head pipe? It has started to peel in a few places.

I thought I read on this site that the header was made of stainless steel.

Is any removal method preferable (media blasting, chemical stripper, etc)?

Thanks.

I removed the header first. Yes it is Stainless Steel that has been painted. I found with a bit of work a wire brush attachment on my drill stripped it all off.

I then used fine wet and dry sandpaper followed by Autosol metal polish. came up a treat and went a lovely golden colour after some running on the bike from heat. I just give it a touch up now and again and am very happy.