Sign in to follow this  

What chain should I buy? 2001 YZ250

I'm going to buy a new chain for my '01 YZ250 but I need a few suggestions and advice. Does it matter if I buy the cheaper non-O-ring chain or should I spend the money for the O-ring chain? What brands do people tend to like? Any help would be appreciated.

Unless you are a professional racer that must extract every last .999999 hp from your bike, buy an O-ring (X ring-whatever) chain for you bike, along with high quality sprockets. It will be one of the best decisions you can make. Rockymountain sells their Primary Drive brand for a great price. I'm sure it's not the best, but all of mine have given me at least a couple of years of practically maintenance free riding.

They would use non o ring chains, as they have less friction. Again, we are talking about tiny fractions of the total power of the bike--nothing you would ever notice riding a YZ 250. Non o ring chains require frequent adjustment and maintenance, and can be totally destroyed in one mud race (I have direct experience). O ring chains hardly ever require adjustment, and are largely impervious to mud, etc. I never do anything to my o ring chains except for an occasional shot of chain lube, and they have all lasted longer than I keep the bike (usually about 2 years), despite being in the GA mud. Seeing that you live in AZ however, you could probably get by with a regular chain, but you still will have to adjust it, clean it, etc.