Sign in to follow this  

03 CRF450R Flywheel Removal Failure

I have removed the flywheel nut from the flywheel on my 03 crf450r. I purchase a tusk flywheel puller I threaded it on the flywheel. I'm using a 15/16 wrench and a 15/16 socket with a breaker bar and I can't get the F*****G flywheel to break loose. Keep in mind that I'm 22 years old, part tie welder/fabricator (so I do have mechanical skills) and weigh 210 lbs and I am a gym regular. I tried using an impact gun but it isn't a quality one like an Ignersoll Rand. What the h*ll is going on? Any suggestions besides taking it to a professional?

First, I hope the flywheel puller had a small cap you thread onto the end of the crankshaft to protect the soft oil passage cap on the end, then thread on the big part of the puller into the flywheel (I hope this makes sense to you). Finally the tighten the part that pushes onto the crankshaft end (covered by the cap) to pull the flywheel. Otherwise you are driving the last part into the oil passage cap and ruined the flywheel. (I hope that's not the case) If this is being done with the right tool, it does take some force to snap the flywheel off. A quality impact whould be best, (I have an IG ti one) but in liew of that a plain old extension should do the trick.

The puller does have a cap and I put the puller on in that sequence. I put all my ass into it and still no go. I think Ill try to find someone with a good impact gun and borrow it and see if that works.

get it as tight as you can use a longer handle for a cheater if you need to I had a 2' breaker par it took more than I thought too. You could try to hit the head of the bolt in as you tighten it. When it comes off there is alot of force behind it the cap nut on the crank will keep it from flying across the room. dont give up you can do it

I would use impact before I used a cheater bar, you can do serious damage with a big bar

Tapping the flywheel, while the puller has tension, will usually result in it letting go. A bit of heat on the flywheel flange can help, too.

Tapping the flywheel, while the puller has tension, will usually result in it letting go. A bit of heat on the flywheel flange can help, too.

Yup the "shock" usually does it:thumbsup:

Ya, you shouldn't be loading up the puller with a bunch of torque. The end of the crank doesn't survive much of that.

Get it tight, then give it a decent smack with a medium sized ball peen hammer on the end of the puller. There's enough space in the back side (unloaded side) of threads for the shock load to break the taper fit of the flywheel. It doesn't take a huge whack either, so don't be getting all mid-evil on it. The whole thing will probably fall right off after a sharp smack.

I put my bike back together so I could go riding this weekend. I put everything back together exactly how it came off. However now bike won't start even if I try to bump start it. Also when the bike is in gear you cannot roll the bike even with the clutch pulled in. Any ideas on what is going on and how I can fix it? One last thing I did the spark plug test and I have no spark.

P.S. I have compression and fuel but no spark. I think is in the ignition somewhere but I dont know where.

I don't know a lot about this, and others will chime in soon to correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have no spark, then you have an elec. problem, and the stator / flywheel / other elec. components are all in that case cover. Possibly put something back together wrong, disconnected/damaged wires, etc... Your engine only takes 3 things to run, and you've already figured out which one of them isn't working properly. The electrical system on this bike is very simply.

Did you ever get the flywheel off? Did you remove the stator?

did you remember to reconnect the ignition pickup (the wire that comes out of left side case cover)? it won't have spark for sure if you did.

Are you screwing the puller too far in and causing it to not be able to move the flywheel?

So am I the only doofus that didn't know that the flyweel doesn't actually "remove" with the use of the puller? The small piece that protects the crank oil passage also prevents the flyweel from actually pulling off the crank. I'd heard the 'pop' of the flywheel releasing but continued on trying to get the puller to pull it off the crank (like 99% of all pullers do). I was putting so much force on the bolt I finally got the "duh, you're doing it wrong" feeling and after removing the tool found that the flywheel slid right off.

So far (haven't started the bike yet), only casualty is my puller (stripped the bolt thread) and my pride...