Good trail a little mx

Hi im trying to buy a good sport atv, I bought a dirtbike and missed my old fourwheeler so i sold it now looking to buy another. I used to have a 400 ex and i liked it alot it was about perfect for what i liked to do. ok so what would be the best fourwheeler for me to own. I mostly enjoy trail riding and doing a little but of playing in the mud. But every now and then i enjoy hitting some jumps and playing around on the mx track. I have considered buying another 400 ex but i just would maybe like something with a little more get up and go. Yea it was ok fast but i wouldnt mind something that has the ability to hit the trails the track sometimes and has a little more umf then a 400ex. I was looking at like all the 450's maybe a raptor ive heard good and bad my max spending would be about 2500 any suggestions?

The 400EX is an excellent trail quad, but in terms of power/speed it is at the bottom of the pile. So, everything is a step up from there....

Next step up is the Suzuki 400 then the Raptor 700. These are both great trail quads, and the Z should be good on the track. I have never liked the Raptor's ergonomics, and would not want to hit the track on one (they carry their weight to high up in the frame).

Beyond that are the 450's. I like the Honda for fast open country, and the YFZ for fast trails or "play" riding (informal MX). The huge advantage of the 450's it their favorable power/weight ratio. These engines all like to rev though, so they are a pain on slow technical trails (you have to do lots of clutch slipping)!

Do keep in mind that the 450's will be much higher maintenance than any of the trail quads. They will need frequent oil changes, valve adjustments, and rebuilds. .

There are lots of good deals out there, but in your price range, you should be able to find a good trail quad. A "used" 450 is far more likely to have a spent engine, than any of the trail quads. Overall, I would go with the Z400!

I have found a 2006 ltx 400 it is piped, good tires, jet kit, Also found a 2003 polaris predator extended a arms alothough one supposibly is a bit bent and extended axle, cams, valve work, good back tires needs back, also have full header exhaust. Im leaning toward the z but was just updating i have heard they are the best all around quad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...