Im gonna say it first, The "new" JT gear looks stupid....

I think the new gear is sick, especially the red white and blue set. Ill be picking me up a set if their not outrageously priced. I HATE almost all new gear with its stupid "loud" patterns and ridiculous color schemes and im only 25. I just like solid colors, thats why I always end up rocking TLD, moose or thor or one of the cheaper brands, because they are the only ones that seem to have simple designs anymore.

and its not just you older guys who spend money. In the last 8 years I have had over 20 dirt and street bikes and countless sets of gear. I have 8 helmets sitting on my shelf right now (3 are my wifes) lol!

Im with ya on the plain and simple looking gear. I get a headache just seeing some of the new patterns on the latest gear and to me it's "girly" looking and reminds me of something a thug rapper would sport because of the "bling" factor.

But....Im from the late 80's/90's era so I remember when all of the day-glow colored gear was the thing and even though I thought it was cool at the time, the older guys I rode with laughed at me and said I looked like a roman candle. I guess what Im trying to say is I like the new/old retro JT gear look but can understand why the new breed hates it because......because....damn it.....ok...Im getting old..!?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The JT gear will not be for everybody.....I say vet riders will love it.....A teenager or a person in there 20's that doesnt even know about JT Racing....wont think a thing about it.......I remember the JT Racing stuff.......I wore it when I was a teenager........so I think its cool.....I think some of the gear thats out now..looks really stupid....But I dont go around bashing it.......Thats why there are so many styles of gear out there......

Wow is it really that much?! I paid only $130 for my TLD pants, jersey, and gloves combo shipped. ?

That's how it works in Canada. When the gear companies started to have their stuff made in China instead of the US, the prices in the US went down (I remember reading in MXA about 10 years ago about a new pant from O'Neal that was priced at $200 USD). The Canadian distributors kept the same pricing and put the difference in their pockets. When our dollar went up in value from 63c US to parity, they kept the same high prices and put the difference in their pockets.

Now back on topic.

I like the JT gear (I'm 26 btw) because I've always preferred simple designs. It reminds me of my GS3 stuff that I wore back in 02-03. I'm not sure about the helmet though, I'd wait until more specs come out, because at first glance I think it looks like a chinese knockoff of the old design.

About the overpriced gear. I have found that the ridiculously expensive like fox actually falls apart the fastest. I wasted my money on that stuff. On another note, I have been riding and racing every week since 07 with two sets of thor phase gear that just wont fall apart!! I just picked up last years model of one industries gear that has been holding up pretty well. I also think that I don't wear the crazy looking gear either. If you look at thor phase it is pretty basic, the same goes for my white set of one industries gear, its just......white!. I just don't like the newer JT weird colors. I used to wear that when I was riding 80's and stuff but you have to offer something slightly different.

The trick to finding cheap gear:

Buy models that are a year or two old. You're an idiot just burning money if you buy the newest latest and greatest gear. The only difference are the freakin patterns and colors. 2009 gear is like 1/3 the price of the brand new stuff and everyone has tons of it for sale (I'm talking brand new from a store not used here)

I used to wear a lot of JT, so I'll take a look at it and see if it's quality made. Some of that on the vid isn't me though. Some looks alright.

I've had issues with lots of gear over the last few years. I've recently fallin into a KLIM phase, but my new $160 Dakars just ripped in the crotch. Stitching came apart. Also, the leather in the calves ripped too easily IMHO. Now they got $1300 adventure suits, and $600 offroad gear. Do they come with a happy ending? They still rip when dragged against the rocks...right? ?

BTW, what happened to Sinisalo? I just found an old pair of pants from the 90's that I'd buy today.

Also, I will purchase any 2005 Thor Ride pants sz 32 or 34. PM me if ya got some ?

It's a smart move really. As the populace ages, so does the motocross crowd. They are betting that all of us over 30 (and apparently some in their 20's) are not digging the new style gear, and are longing for a look we are more familiar with. I imagine they'll sell quite a few as long as the price is decent. I'm liking the green or the red white and blue!

Yep good move. The gear companies lately have been aiming for the younger audience who "dig" a bunch of color paints splattered all over the gear with the icon spalled on top of that. I like it, but I want strong gear too. My blue Shard gear looks good, but is now ripping apart after only a year of wearing it. TLD, some of THOR, and few other companies are an exception, but still.

A "old fart" sees the gear of today. They don't like it. No money for companies.

A "old fart" sees the "old school" gear of today while brand new. $$$ for companies.

I'm sure this been said bunch of times, but it's simple. ?

I think the pants look pretty nice! The jerseys look kinda.. ehh.... just really old. they could have updated teh styling a little bit, without making them look garish or stupid.

The helmet looks cool, but I agree, looks like a cheesy chinese rip-off. I'd really like to see the stuff in person. I really hope JT does well again!

For the record- I'm a HUGE fan of closeout gear and Iron Pony, RM, etc... I got a brand new set of 08 AXO Tour pants for 28 bucks.... Thats what I'm talkin' about!!

The trick to finding cheap gear:

Buy models that are a year or two old. You're an idiot just burning money if you buy the newest latest and greatest gear. The only difference are the freakin patterns and colors. 2009 gear is like 1/3 the price of the brand new stuff and everyone has tons of it for sale (I'm talking brand new from a store not used here)

I do the same thing. I only buy pants and gloves, I get my jerseys through my club. I can buy one or two year old, brand new gear on Ebay for a fraction of what the latest stuff goes for. Good thing too, I bought a pair of '08 and '09 Thor Core pants at the same time earlier this year and the '09's are falling apart where the '08's are holding up great. I would have been pretty pissed off to pay full boat for those '09's.

Only problem with buying the older left over gear is I'm size 34 which is apparently a common size. The stuff that comes up in my size I can't always get in a color I like.

I am tempted to buy these JT's as soon as they're out, though, wouldn't want to risk not being able to get my size in a color I want a year from now. ?

I like it, but then I am old school. The kids will hate it.

Funny enough, when the JT stuff first came out, the old schoolers of the day preferred leathers, so there you go.

I'll be glad when the JT gear hits the market. I've been waiting for some gear that appeals to me, not kids who like gear that looks like they threw up on themselves. Besides, it's us 'old farts' that spend the most money on bikes and gear, not pimply faced kids. About time a gear company realizes that.

hey dude im only 13 and i think that old gear is AWSOME!, i like the new gear to but i love old 80s and 90s gear, i love older bikes to i think they just look cool, so ?, you ?

hey dude im only 13 and i think that old gear is AWSOME!, i like the new gear to but i love old 80s and 90s gear, i love older bikes to i think they just look cool, so ?, you :mad:

LOL!!

Trust me, you don't represent your generation. :bonk:

When I look around the pits at the races I go to, I don't see many other kids in your camp. Perhaps you're that little ray of sunshine. ?

I'm 17 and think the old jt gear is awesome. I like the new puked on by a carebear look. By I like the 90's jt gear more. I also have a hardcore love for two strokes. It might be the fact that i've been into mx since I was 5. I miss those days.

haha, I love the way all the guys on here are like "oh the kids these days , they'll hate it" Im not so sure, Im 18 and love the JT gear it looks awesome, but looks well made aswell. I'm fed up of all these mx companies producing taky looking gear, that just falls off you after 3 months.

You wait untill Dungey starts rocking some of that gear and see how many "kids" start to like it ?

Also how many of you out there think the nicest kit fox have made in a loooong time are the retro kits the let out for one of the nationals races over there ? (sorry I cant remeber which race it is, is it washougal ? difficut to remeber when theres hardly any coverage in the uk lol)

Any news of when its going to be available, from where and prices ??

DIITD ?

haha, I love the way all the guys on here are like "oh the kids these days , they'll hate it" Im not so sure, Im 18 and love the JT gear it looks awesome, but looks well made aswell. I'm fed up of all these mx companies producing taky looking gear, that just falls off you after 3 months.

You wait untill Dungey starts rocking some of that gear and see how many "kids" start to like it ?

Also how many of you out there think the nicest kit fox have made in a loooong time are the retro kits the let out for one of the nationals races over there ? (sorry I cant remeber which race it is, is it washougal ? difficut to remeber when theres hardly any coverage in the uk lol)

Any news of when its going to be available, from where and prices ??

DIITD ?

Now come on man, you know your really wanting to rock the Metal Mulisha gear from helmet to boots lol. Your thinking on plain & simple gear is not the norm for the young up & comers riding in the US. It's all about the badass factor on how many different patterns and colors you can sport on one pair of riding gear.

This stuff is not nearly as bad looking as the current clowns suits being sold and better looking than many ... Maybe it will even last a couple of years ?

Yep, the video was just about useless except for Chuck Sun telling about the at-that-time-current World Champion, the fiercest Heikki Mikkola, kicking Hannah's a$$ twice ? ... adding how he had a contract waiting for him was not bad either ... beating DeCoster probably sealed that deal ....

Sinisalo stopped importing to the usa for some reason a few years ago ... I wore their pants and jersey for years ... I had to have them cut off me a few times due to broken bones ... I just had them sewn back together and still wear them today .... The ProGrip stuff looks pretty good to me ... Husky is with them now and not Sinisalo so not sure what is going on ...

Edited by ray_ray