kx 250 build dates?

i have the chance to get a 2002 kx 250 that needs work.... it needs a new kicker shaft. from what i understand from the guy who owns it is he replaced the complete top end and ran 3 or 4 tank of gas through it... then one day it got flooded and when he went to kick it the shaft broke. he said the bottom end is a 2003 out of a bike that had a broken frame.... also the front suspension is from a new kx450f i think....

anyhow my question is this how many years they made the kx 250 compatible with the 2002... from what ive been reading the 2001 and 2003 are basically the same....i know nothing about the newer kx. the newest one i owned was back in 1992. i dont want to buy a pig in a poke kinda deal that im gonna have to mix and match parts . if its just a matter of a few bikes are the same then i would feel better about getting it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the chance to get a 2002 kx 250 that needs work.... it needs a new kicker shaft. from what i understand from the guy who owns it is he replaced the complete top end and ran 3 or 4 tank of gas through it... then one day it got flooded and when he went to kick it the shaft broke. he said the bottom end is a 2003 out of a bike that had a broken frame.... also the front suspension is from a new kx450f i think....

anyhow my question is this how many years they made the kx 250 compatible with the 2002... from what ive been reading the 2001 and 2003 are basically the same....i know nothing about the newer kx. the newest one i owned was back in 1992. i dont want to buy a pig in a poke kinda deal that im gonna have to mix and match parts . if its just a matter of a few bikes are the same then i would feel better about getting it.

Both the '02 and the '03 have many unique parts.
then one day it got flooded and when he went to kick it the shaft broke.
My understanding of that statement is that he hydro-locked the engine with liquid. If that's the case, and he kicked it hard enough to break the kick shaft, I wouldn't be surprised if the rod is bent.

well i ended up getting the bike and by catching it in gear it started up easily and it run good ... so ill have to fix the kicker shaft. heres alist of what it is.

The engine was completely rebuilt with new crank, new top jug, new V Force piston and rings, new clutch steels and fibers were replaces, new FMF Platnum Fatty pipe, new FMF Power Core II silencer, and the plastic is in good shape. I only ran about 3 tanks of gas threw it and the first tank was for break in. The front end is off a 2007 KXF 450. Its the complete front end forks, bars AVS unbreakable levers, and break setup is all off an 07.Suspension

kx250.jpg

By null at 2010-11-28

ive been doing some reading and research on here ..... heres what ive found. 99 through 2002 kx 250 are the same bike ... 2003 and up kx 250 are different. next question is this, the guy i got the bike from told me the bike has 2003 bottom end.....is this possible? it seems to run good other than the broken kick start shaft. i have checked the numbers for the kick shaft and the 01,02,03, all have the same part number.

ive been doing some reading and research on here ..... heres what ive found. 99 through 2002 kx 250 are the same bike ... 2003 and up kx 250 are different. next question is this, the guy i got the bike from told me the bike has 2003 bottom end.....is this possible? it seems to run good other than the broken kick start shaft. i have checked the numbers for the kick shaft and the 01,02,03, all have the same part number.
The bottom-end went through only modest changes from '92 to '04. There are some incremental changes from year to year, but the design and overall dimensions remained the same, as did most of the parts. So yes, it's very possible that the bike has an '03 bottom-end.

Hydro lock possibly on a 4 stroke, but with a domed piston and ports I doubt any fluid could remain in the cylinder long enough. Maybe if it was gushing in. There's a list somewhere showing what case numbers are what year.....or maybe it's in the case number itself. What's the #? It's on top of the clutch cover under the radiator hose.

While yes the frame design is the same from 99 to 02 there were many changes suspension wise and other parts. I am not sure of all the changes but I know that the Forks were much bigger around on the 02 compared to the earlier bikes. I just used that as an example. It looks like a fun bike. I love riding my 02 KX250.

http://**************/KAWASAKIKX250BIKEID.aspx

It's a 00 or 01 bottom end. The 00 case was superceeded to the 01 part number so it's the same thing. Order parts for one of those 2 years. The 4 digits on the cylinder will determine what year that is since that number is the last 4 digits of the part number.

TT automatically edits the link, here it is: oem(hyphen)cycle(dot)com/KAWASAKIKX250BIKEID.aspx

i bought a kicker shaft for an 02 and after i put the gears on it i relized the plastic under the spring would not fit.... then i notice it wont fit through the case and the kicker is different....but theres good news. after reseaching things on here and everyones help i was able to pull the case and the parts i needed to replace without taking it to a shop. i want to thank everyone for their help so far. its definatly something easy as everyone told me..