Sign in to follow this  

Procycle HID Kit

Hey guys

Has anyone out there tried this bad boy on their DR? It seems like a good idea and i need to come up with christmas present ideas for myself....obviously not too difficult. Do they actually produce a lot more light? How is the low beam, bulb life and how are they to install?

any insights would be appreciated

thanks,

-R

There's a bit of info posted on the additional light, lifespan is my major concern, vibration resistance seems likely with no filament though. I'd hate to burn out and be on the road, then what... It looks to be a really cool mod, less watts, more light, a real high and low beam selection but replacement is my major hold out.

There's a bit of info posted on the additional light, lifespan is my major concern, vibration resistance seems likely with no filament though. I'd hate to burn out and be on the road, then what... It looks to be a really cool mod, less watts, more light, a real high and low beam selection but replacement is my major hold out.

In the unlikely event that the HID expires (capsule, ballast, etc.) it's a simple matter to plug the stock H4 bulb back into the harness headlight plug. No different than if you burned out the stock bulb.

That's great! Stock bulb works even with ballast burned up? On my short list. The Oem light is a piece of shit at best. I really like your headlight adjusted. I take it this kit would also work with a bans designs or trail tech 8" light too? I'm pining for an 8" or dual 8's!! Not much cooler than a nice set of big ass headlights!👍

That's great! Stock bulb works even with ballast burned up? On my short list. The Oem light is a piece of shit at best. I really like your headlight adjusted. I take it this kit would also work with a bans designs or trail tech 8" light too? I'm pining for an 8" or dual 8's!! Not much cooler than a nice set of big ass headlights!👍

No, you take out the entire HID kit and just plug the normal halogen bulb back into the stock connector. The ballast does not get used any more.

The TT and BD lights both use a different bulb than the DR.

Yes, because the HID kit uses the stock headlight plug to operate a relay. The relay activates a solenoid to switch between high and low. The HID harness has a separate headlight plug that powers the HID capsule. If anything goes wrong in the HID system you can just unplug the HID harness from the stock headlight plug and run a standard H4 bulb in the original plug.

As far as working with some other headlight lens, it would have to be tested. Yes it will 'fit' anything that originally had the H4 bulb. The potential problem is what sort of beam pattern will you have. We know the beam pattern works well with the stock headlight lens --> see here.

Because the shape of the light source inside the HID capsule is different than the H4 filament the beam pattern changes when the HID is installed. You really want to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. The only way to know if there will or won't be a problem is the put in the HID and and test the pattern. I went through kits from several HID suppliers until I found one that works well with the DR650 headlight - they are not all the same!

Understood on the pattern... The one major reason I really dig the setup you are selling is the high/low feature. I've not seen any other unit like it. The Baja Designs and such, do have the ability to be quickly adjusted with gloves and maybe even on the fly if you were so inclined to. Another reason I really like that setup. I'd like very much to sell you all at Pro Cycle carry a 8" light or even a dual setup. I've seen some Buell setups as well, but I'd rather not bolt any Harley part on my bike!

Understood on the pattern... The one major reason I really dig the setup you are selling is the high/low feature. I've not seen any other unit like it. The Baja Designs and such, do have the ability to be quickly adjusted with gloves and maybe even on the fly if you were so inclined to. Another reason I really like that setup. I'd like very much to sell you all at Pro Cycle carry a 8" light or even a dual setup. I've seen some Buell setups as well, but I'd rather not bolt any Harley part on my bike!

We're a Trail Tech and Baja Designs dealer. If you want something like that we can get it. Trail Tech is only about 100 miles away from us.

I think quite a few DR 650 owners, myself included, would gladly pay the $150+ for the Procycle HID light kit IF we knew the quality, durability, and brand reputation were there to back this product up.

I hate when I purchase something "new & cool" with unknown durability and quality, only to find out I spent good money on crap. Then you have to deal with the hassle of returns or exchanges.... I hate that!

I love the idea of upgraded HID lighting, but hesitate to purchase.....

Jesse

Going on what the auto electritians at work tell me ,a standard H4 halogen bulb has a life expectancy of 700 - 900 hours, a xenon HID has a life expectancy of 3000 - 4000 hours and LED spot lights like Jeff sells have a life expectancy of 10000 + hours.

DO NOT be afraid to go the HID way, it makes night riding fun and not dangerous. I have just fitted a 6000K HID kit and 2 x 10watt LED spots wired to run on high beem only, I have day light for over 150 meters at night. So much better than the stock light that let me see nothing at night.

Looking at the procycle light patterns (click "see here" on the second procycle reply) The hi beam seems good with the exception of the fact that there is no light on the road. The lowest light is a good 2 feet off the ground. That is cured with the addition of the LED lights, but how much do you have into your lights at that point? I used to think I paid a lot for the buell setup, but since going to HID (DDM - 2 for $40) it seems cheap (the headlight assy was only $59 when I did it). granted it's not plug and play, far from it, but you end up with 2 separate lights in the case of a failure and it is all contained between the fork tubes where it is less likely to get busted off. I also don't like running around with a HID lo beam so I have gone back to silverstar on the lo - this makes the package less than $100. If the buell or some other headlight had individual adjustment for high and lo sides you might be able to adjust the lo - lo enough, but as it is when you get the hi really reaching out the lo is shooting pretty high. Regardless of pattern a HID is a lot of light to throw out. IMO when you are cresting a hill you are blinding oncoming traffic. If you don't believe me park so the beam is shooting over a hill, walk over and try to look at the "arc welder". Keep in mind it is also not legal to have HID on the lo side so if it's a cop coming up the hill you might be out another couple hundred $

• Like 1

The fence we use for showing the pattern is only about 25 ft from the bike. You wouldn't need your high beam shining down at the road so close - that's what low beam is for. And anyway, the pics were taken to show the pattern for comparison t0 the stock H4 pattern. Actual beam height would depend on adjustment.

Oh yeah, check the pics again. The HID high beam still puts more light down at the bottom than the 100 watt H4 does.

While getting all the parts to fit is tricky, my HID is throwing great light without any adjustment from where I had it with the H4. While on low beam, I have not had a single oncoming vehicle flash me.

Two years later I order one up . Price seems to have dropped quite a bit in two years! Huray, How often does that happen.

Unit arrived today but was infact a Bike Master Unit. Maybe hence the drop in cost? Don't know if its a solenoid unit or not. It says Hi Lo??? We will see tomorrow I reckon.

im customizing a dual headlight for my dr650.. was wondering if the alternator is gona handle the extra bulb.. the new headlight i got has 2- 55w h3 bulbs.. im gona try and swap our the bulbs with a hid kit so it will pull out 35w each instead.. but was wondering if the start up power on the hid ballast is gona be too much power for the bike.. has anybody changed to dual bulbs, or try 2 hid bulbs for a headlight.

Unit arrived today but was infact a Bike Master Unit. Maybe hence the drop in cost? Don't know if its a solenoid unit or not. It says Hi Lo??? We will see tomorrow I reckon.

I installed same kit. Works as advertised as long as you connect the short ground to a wire. I got not grounding current on any metal parts near the light.