crank sprocket XR 200

I wanted to contribute a tip to this thread. I had a problem with the jaws popping off of the sprocket. I also need a way to keep the puller from rotating. Take a look at the set up I used to finally get the sprocket off:

timingsprocket.jpg

a 3/8 impact works nicely for this. (no rotating) I too have had the jaw slip open a few times and used a C clamp to hold the jaws together.

thanks for the reply. I guess heating the bearing would be a bad idea. I will have to find a good machine shop.

No problem heating the bearing, a kitchen oven won't get it hot enough to damage the bearing but be aware that if you don't clean all of the grease out of the bearing you could really smoke up the house and loose your kitchen privileges. :bonk:

It is the temp differential that counts so put the crank in the freezer overnight and the bearing in a 250 oven for 30 minutes, that will provide more than 300 degrees differential for an easy fit.

The crank has so much heat mass compared to the bearing or sprocket that you can do the reverse for removal; freeze the assembly overnight, set up the puller and use a torch to heat the bearing or sprocket.

How do you know if the sprocket needs to be replaced?  What would be the symptoms of a bad sprocket?

I don't know, although I assumed another installation method would be to debur all surfaces, heat the new sprocket in an oven to 160C ( sorry I don't know F),

Then it would just slide over the crank snout and also allow enough time before cooling for a rotation adjustment if necessary.

Is this acceptable?

rather then using ovens one could try a heat gun

hgd0.00rd.jpg?1516395541

I found this thread very helpful and could not have replace my sprocket without it. 

~Cheap amazon crank puller needs to be modified/ grind to fit under sprocket.  I was able to use this with impact to remove sprocket.

~Used scribe tool method to mark crank and line up new sprocket when installing.

~Hold new sprocket with channel locks while focusing heat from heat gun on  "center of new sprocket."

~Line up and Slip sprocket on with channel locks until it bottoms out. Make sure it lines up.