TTR 125L Chain Guide

Hey guys, just passed my older son's TTR125 down to my younger son and took them riding this weekend. He threw the chain at least 3 times. The tension was fine. My older son had only thrown the chain once in the 2.5 years that he rode it and the chain was loose when it happened. They definitely have different riding styless, but the bike doesn't have a chain guide. I'm sure that would help. Anyone know where I can get one or what a good one is for the 03 TTR125L? (I'll be putting a new chain on it too)

Thanks!

BBR makes one I believe.

Thanks guys!

I got the BBR for him and it works great. Only problem was that when I put it on, it was squeezing the chain so hard that it would barely turn by hand. A few runs around the block wore a groove in it and solved the problem.

Dont buy the BBR one, the only difference between the BBR one and the OEM one is that its metal and the other is plastic. I used to own a 2003 TTR-125LE and I rode it hard and eventually wore the chain , sprockets and chain guide out. I had enough money to buy a nicer one but it really doesn't make a difference between the BBR and OEM. Just aesthetics. Remember its a dirt bike.

GO with the OEM chain guide. You will save money and OEM is always better.

-Dillon

There is a HUGE difference between there BBR one andthe OEM one. The OEM one is NOT a guide, but guard. The BBR one is a real guide. Get the BBR guide and you will never throw a chain again. You can also make your own if $65 is too much money. Here is a how to on my site: http://www.socalxrs.com/chainguide1.htm NOTE: the guide on the templates if an XR guide, but you will get the jist.

There is a HUGE difference between there BBR one andthe OEM one. The OEM one is NOT a guide, but guard. The BBR one is a real guide. Get the BBR guide and you will never throw a chain again. You can also make your own if $65 is too much money. Here is a how to on my site: http://www.socalxrs.com/chainguide1.htm NOTE: the guide on the templates if an XR guide, but you will get the jist.
Amen to that, SoCal... best $20 buck and 3 hours I've spent. I had to learn, not have a guide is a bad thing, the hard way.

Dillon, it helps if you know what you speak of. The stock TTR-125 doesn't use a chain guide.

-Kerry

5065_45_125-ttr.jpg

Look at the the left side of the swing-arm, the white colored piece is considered the "Chain Guide" in my Yamaha TTR-125 manual.

Sorry if I'm sounding rude but that's what my manual says it is. A chain guide.

-Dillon

5065_45_125-ttr.jpg

Look at the the left side of the swing-arm, the white colored piece is considered the "Chain Guide" in my Yamaha TTR-125 manual.

Sorry if I'm sounding rude but that's what my manual says it is. A chain guide.

-Dillon

It's also a cheap piece of plastic that doesn't "contain" the chain and won't help when you do throw a chain. (i.e. It's a one-sided "guard" that has no back side, and no bottom.)

:smirk:

Dillon, I have a manual and know what it's called... other owners of the bike just know that Yamaha didn't intend that "guide" to do anything but add a few ounces to the swing arm.

The chain gets thrown because of the lack of containment caused by the stock "guide."

We threw our share of chains when we first got the bike - didn't matter how "factory adjusted" the chain was. In one particular time the chain was thrown, it ended up in a costly repair - the bike stripped teeth in the transmission, but luckily didn't crack the case. The case has been known to crack when the chain piles up around the countershaft. Which would you rather have?

Something that prevents you from needing to split the cases for tranny work/gear replacement - possibly a new case, or a real chain guide so you can ride?

-Kerry

Well, let's just say that my son threw the chain 3 or 4 times in one weekend with the white piece of plastic that the manual calls a "guide", no matter what the chain tension. I got lucky and was able to dig it out each time - all it cost was a few scratches and a countershaft sprocket (broke a tooth off). I put the BBR guide on and have not had a problem since. Does it look better? Yep. Does it work better? Hell yeah!! Thanks again to the guys earlier in the thread for pointing me in the right direction.

I guess we all have stories that made us buy or make a real guide. I got stuck going up a hill and each time I re-started and let the clutch out the chain would come off. I was so pissed I just threw the bike. As soon as I got home I ordered one from BBR.

My TTR threw a chain and now has welded cases, definitely get your chain guide replaced.

If anyone is interested in buying a quality full wrap around chain guide check out http://www.fisherfabhouse.com/. It's a side project of mine so hit me up with any questions.

Very nice! :smirk:

If anyone is interested in buying a quality full wrap around chain guide check out http://www.fisherfabhouse.com/. It's a side project of mine so hit me up with any questions.

If I get one that will be the one im getting. BBR=expensive.

Ok I'm a little lost. My TTR 230 came with the factory white "chain support" I've found the after market chain guides that you guys are talking about. My question is how do the after markets bolt up? do they mount to the cheap white one or the swingarm? Thanks guys

The cheap white one gets tossed and the new one bolts to the swing arm in the same spot. Piece of cake.