Sign in to follow this  

2010 510TE; Rattling Spark Arrestor / Brakes

I'm tired of listening to the rattling spark arrestor. Does anybody offer a shim to place to tighten this thing up? I like to be able to place this shim between the spark arrestor and the snap ring that holds it in.

The dimension of the shim is about 1 5/8" O.D. by 1 1/8" I.D.; thickness would vary, I'm sure.

Next issue. Front brakes are "spongy", and no amount of bleeding them has alleviated the problem. Ideas? (I completely flush the system with new DOT 4 brake fluid).

You can dimple the sparky with a center punch along its outer diameter, close to its aft edge and this will displace enough metal to close the gap between the snap ring and the sparky. Front brake spongy, I have dealt with it and tried all the tricks listed here. Bled from the bottom up with 8oz of fluid, zip tied the lever for 2 nights. Still spongy. Still worked, though. HTH

You can dimple the sparky with a center punch along its outer diameter, close to its aft edge and this will displace enough metal to close the gap between the snap ring and the sparky.

Excellent idea. I'm going to try that right now.

I guess if it doesn't displace enough metal, then it's some of that red high temp silicone RTV stuff?

Front brake spongy, I have dealt with it and tried all the tricks listed here. Bled from the bottom up with 8oz of fluid, zip tied the lever for 2 nights. Still spongy. Still worked, though. HTH

Ok, I think I'll get a new master brake cylinder. This one does have over 200 miles on it, so it's probably due !!! :thumbsup:

I'm tired of listening to the rattling spark arrestor. Does anybody offer a shim to place to tighten this thing up? .

2010 TE450 - I took a piece of coat hangar wire, hammered the tip end until it was paper thin, jammed that in between the insert and the muffler wall, cut the wire off close in, then used a small punch and hammer to drive it in secure, thing is still in there and no more rattling! It was drivin' me bonkers.

Front brakes are "spongy", and no amount of bleeding them has alleviated the problem. Ideas? (I completely flush the system with new DOT 4 brake fluid).

Isnt the traditional fix for this, steel braided lines?

Can't take the credit for it but it works great! I found the original thread for the dimple fix by Joliet. I've used this method on both my Huskies with success.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614383&highlight=spark

The brake lines are braided steel. A slightly bent front rotor can cause the sponginess, my was straight. All started for me after I dumped it on the right side in a dry river bed in Baja and left it for a couple of minutes like that. Guess I got a bubble somewhere in it doing that.......