Tool to remove Silencer star nut 08 250 XCW

Does anyone have a part number or reference for the proper tool used to remove the star-nut on the end of the silencer on my 08 250 xcw?

Someone over on ktm talk said the axle wrench that came with the bike, however I dont have the OEM axle wrench, and my tusk wrench does not fit!

here is a shot of the nut in question:

pipe_1.jpg

thanks!

yep, should be in your tool kit. you can likely find a whole tool kit on ktmtalk classifieds for what that one tool costs new.

When I first wanted to take mine off, I didn't realize that tool fit the nut. ?

Geez, I think a 1 1/8 socket works just fine, or something close to that size, don't remember precisely.....or big channel locks!

Ya,

I used a set of big channel locks, and also a large adjustable wrench.. but they both started gnashing up the bolt/star.. (I tried a 1-1/4 socket but still too small!)

It'd be nice to simply have the right wrench ?

Thanks Everyone!

-t

why in the world would KTM go to the trouble to make that a special design? Do they need to sell a tool that bad? Just make it hex!

They are not trying to "sell" a tool. Every KTM that is shipped comes with the axle wrench. On the axle wrench is the correct socket used to remove/replace that nut so there should be no problem.

They are not trying to "sell" a tool. Every KTM that is shipped comes with the axle wrench. On the axle wrench is the correct socket used to remove/replace that nut so there should be no problem.

Well they know most used bikes won't come with the tool bag (as the orig. owner likes to keep those things ?). Thus the new owner will be needing to buy that "special" tool. I say use some vicegrips.

Well they know most used bikes won't come with the tool bag (as the orig. owner likes to keep those things ?). Thus the new owner will be needing to buy that "special" tool. I say use some vicegrips.

A socket wrench fits as well, as stated above. :blah: