Sign in to follow this  

To buy or, not to buy?

I found a 2008 kx450f at a local shop that iv trusted for years. The guy at the shop said the bikes been raced, but he put a fresh piston and rings in it and said everything elts looked good when he had it apart. The shop owner also told me that he new the previous owner, and said he was a slow racer and didn't race the bike hard. The thing that bothers me, is the plastics are beat to crap. Lots of scrapes and white marks from being bent, but for the most part the bikes in good clean shape engine looks good, frames got a couple dings, etc. I guess I'm just scared that since the plastics are in such rough shape, maybe he didn't take care of it. I'm going to buy all new plastics, graphics, and bars to make it look good. The shops asking 3645 out the door. Should I buy???

Thanks for any help.

No I didn't get any pics, and I should have. The guys never lied to me before with the last four bike iv purchased from him, and he's got a heck of a reputation for being honest and knowing his stuff about bikes.

No I didn't get any pics, and I should have. The guys never lied to me before with the last four bike iv purchased from him, and he's got a heck of a reputation for being honest and knowing his stuff about bikes.

well if hes at least honest about putting a piston in and everything else looking good id say go for it

How many hrs. on the bike? A dedicated racer is always gonna run a bike harder than the typical recreational rider, probably to the point that fluids are not changed as often; suspension bearings are gonna get worked harder, crashes are faster and the bike will generally be rougher than one that is used more gently. It probably has more hrs. than a typical 02 model year. Not that a gently used bike that rarely gets ridden can't have a major failure for other reasons, but I would never consider a racer's bike unless it is immaculate; sounds like this bike is a dog and is priced accordingly. +the 08 didn't get good reviews as I remember.

Well iv read the reviews and I think it got 3rd out of the big four, And it was close to getting second. From what I can get from the review is that they were upset that the bike lost power since the 07 450, but that's ok for me because the 07 was a freakin beast! I wouldn't mind having a little milder power. But I see where everyone is coming from. Thanks for the input everyone.

if its an 08 450 and needed a top end i would walk away. it sounds like there was no maint. on this bike.

Reasonable price... I get concerned with screwed up plastics as well, sounds a bit iffy right off the bat. Got some pix?

Just because a slower rider fell a lot doesn't mean he didn't take care of the bike.... thats why the plastic comes off..... If you trust the shop owner why would you question him.... What would he think if he read this....

BUT I would also use the plastic to knock off $200 or so...

Just because a slower rider fell a lot doesn't mean he didn't take care of the bike.... thats why the plastic comes off..... If you trust the shop owner why would you question him.... What would he think if he read this....

BUT I would also use the plastic to knock off $200 or so...

Exactly...I'd rather it was owned by an 'A' grader who looked after his bike.

The guy at the shop said the bikes been raced, but he put a fresh piston and rings in it and said everything elts looked good when he had it apart. The shop owner also told me that he new the previous owner, and said he was a slow racer and didn't race the bike hard.

As a rule of thumb my dad always told me to try and stay away from a bike that has been raced or comes with a paddle. Usually the two get more beat than the average bike due to riding conditions. Id try to find a stock one from an old man that bought it, rode it a few times and parked it. And how slow is slow?

i hav ealways found that a mx racers bike is usually in better shape and kept up over a weekend warrior trail/field rider.

i am a racer and my bike gets a 1 hr cleaning after every ride and fluids and filter taken car of very often. a clean bike is a healthy bike.

i went for a trail ride yesterday with 13 bikes. people were asking before the ride why my bike was so clean?????

nothing worse than trying to work on a dirty bike. if your bike is dirty, chance that your air filter and oil are dirty as well.

I've always taken better care of my race bikes than my trail bikes. I personally don't race anymore but I have two sons that do and I will tell you that their race bikes get more love than my trail sled, I know this because I am the wrench. The worst is paying entry fees and the expense of traveling to the races and being in a points battle only to DNF because of maintanence. The only crapshoot will be the bottom end/Transmission. Look at the rest of the bike, are the fork seals leaking? what about the sprockets? Are the tires worn out? Did the dude race on worn out tires? if so he probably skimped on other things as well. Don't just look at the plastics, look under them, are the radiators bent?

Exactly...I'd rather it was owned by an 'A' grader who looked after his bike.

Just because he's a faster rider does not mean he takes better care of his bikes. Ton's of "C" riders do alot of very good maintenance. I for one will not replace the plastic just because you think it looks bad. Looks never made a bike run good or DNF'ed me!!!!

Thanks for all the help fellas. The fork seals look good, the shop replaced the chain and sprockets, and the front tire was replaced and the back tire looks ok. I agree on the transmission, that part scares the hell out of me. I feel pretty good about the motor since he replaced the piston and rings. From what I understand, he didn't need to replace the piston but he did anyway. This guy that owns the shop goes through the bike very carefuly before he sales it. I tried to buy a bike a couple years ago and he wouldn't let me take it, because there was work that needed done, so he does his best to not sale crap. The other thing about this shop/owner is if you buy a bike from him and something goes wrong shortly after purchase, he fixes it for no charge. Now iv never had major things go wrong so I don't know what he'd do about a tranny or something, but when iv had things like a bad hot start, or a bad bearing, etc. He will replace it for no charge.

Just because he's a faster rider does not mean he takes better care of his bikes. Ton's of "C" riders do alot of very good maintenance. I for one will not replace the plastic just because you think it looks bad. Looks never made a bike run good or DNF'ed me!!!!

Sorry, I didn't make this clear,

If the choice was between a 'C' grader who looked after his bike or an 'A' grader who done the same....then the 1st option would be my choice. Of course there are many 'C' graders out there who do a good job on their maintenance and i did not mean to imply otherwise....am I forgiven?:thumbsup:

Really??? Does everyone here do ALL the recommended maintanence by the book? Top end at 10 hrs. to include cam chain and so on? I know Honda used to do tests where their riders did nothing but ride and inspect to see what the bikes would take. Kawi did the same. Unless the bike spent time at the rev limiter and NO maintanence was done, the bike should be OK for us mortals, especially since the OP has a good relationship with the dealer. That should be the deciding factor. The only place I would draw the line was at a bike that ever had a paddle tire on it.

Well I went to take a look at the bike in question again today. I looked under the plastics, and everything looks pretty clean. I didn't see any tire rub marks or anything. I shook the wheels and there was no noise or movement, so I think the bearings are ok. Most of the damage on the radiator shrouds looks to be from it being tipped over, so the guy prob wasn't a very good rider. I checked to see if the radiator was bent, but its straight as an arrow. I pushed on the kick start and it felt like it had good compression. I also checked the fork seals and I didn't see any oil, and the seals looked great. The funny thing is, I told him I was interested in the bike two weeks ago and he put a sold sign for me. I haven't even given him a dime for it, and he's holding for me till the middle of next month. Crazy huh?