Sign in to follow this  

California Anyone use or subscribe to Air Reach helo ambulance?

I looked at every one of those I could find about three to four years ago and couldn't find any of them that offered coverage for the SoCal deserts. It's pretty frustrating knowing that one air lift could bankrupt a family. If you find any that offer coverage for deserts, please let us know.

alot of D-38 members have this. Its great it covers i think around 150miles around el centro

s air flight bill alone was $45k.

For that price I hope an in flight meal was included..:thumbsup:

Hope I never need that sevice.

Here's a great tip if ever need air lift; Call the CHP. In my area the CHP helicopter H1 is outfitted for air lifting. Sure, they aren't as provisioned as an air ambulance might be, but they will get you out and to either the closest hospital or an ambulance that is waiting at the closest road.

The cost? Free. Well, your tax dollars at work actually. How do I know? Where I work, we train w/the CHP on how to rig for airlift. If you contact the CHP in Auburn and tell them you have a group, say maybe your motorcycle club, that would like training on how to use the basket and airlifting, they will set up a time and place to train you. It's free too. So, you take the training and are now out riding. Someone in your group is injured and needs airlifting out. The call goes to CHP and you do the ground support side of the air lift. No landing someplace and getting a ground guy in there to secure the victim to the basket and all the delay that might mean. They show up and you handsignal the pilot / crew to lower and raise when needed.

Ah,

The memories!

Yup, the CHP is free. I didn't know that up front, and even though I was unhurt & talking to the Pilot via my Garmin Rino, we didn't talk about cost.

All I saw were $$$$$$$. I didn't take the ride he offered & elected to walk out. 2 hours and a few blisters later, I wish I had.

Now I've had Calstar for over 3 years....................... And I will continue to keep it current! For $40 bucks a year for the entire family, it's cheap insurance.

Even when I kayak. :thumbsup:

Good call Sly! The only good kayaking is in remote rivers and lakes.

Down here in the upper deserts is used to be the govt 100% of the time. Now it's only 50% of the time. My health ins will cover it, but I'd rather get some kind of plan so I don't have to worry about that "Not medically necessary" move they like to pull.

One problem is most of the plans only cover a single operator. I don't know if it's just one in my area of concern or if it is two or three. I just wish there were a blanket policy that covered me where ever I happened to be.

When you are hurt, the choice of what air ambulance will be called is not always up to the injured rider.

Down here in the upper deserts is used to be the govt 100% of the time. Now it's only 50% of the time. My health ins will cover it, but I'd rather get some kind of plan so I don't have to worry about that "Not medically necessary" move they like to pull.

One problem is most of the plans only cover a single operator. I don't know if it's just one in my area of concern or if it is two or three. I just wish there were a blanket policy that covered me where ever I happened to be.

When you are hurt, the choice of what air ambulance will be called is not always up to the injured rider.

Yeah. I could see that, "not medically necessary". My policy states they cover heli rides "with prior authorization". So I guess I just call my primary care physician every Friday to get the authorization:lol:

From what I understand there is no guarantee that the responding EMT's will call your service if you are not able to tell them. It could be Reach or Mercy Air or some other. It's up to the dispatcher. They really need to work this out.

Many people's, dare I say most people's primary medical insurance will cover medical helicopter evacuation.

HIGHLY suggest you call your primary insurer before you plunk down $40 bucks a year for a service you already get. Give them your worst case scenario and see what they say. They will likely be honest with you because of this --> those "club" style plans from CalStar and the like won't pay out if your primary insurer is responsible. Read the small print.

Blue Cross paid the entire $37K bill for a helicopter evac for a friend last year. He didn't even have to submit it twice. He paid a single deductable (like all of us would) for the entire incident. I think it was like $250 for a helicopter evac, an ambulance ride, some hospital time, a crap load of surgeries and the physical therapy that followed.

Everybody understands the difference between a medical helicopter evacuation and a helicopter rescue right? Two different things as well. CalStar isn't going to pick you off a cliff in a basket, but the CHP/Coast Guard/etc will. Cal$tar vs Free Ride in many cases.

Now if you're on the Obama plan, you're on your own I guess....