powder coating rims, pics of bikes with colored rims please?

im going to buy a powder coater kit, and supplies, and a free oven.

first off, has anyone powder coated rims? is it an ok idea?

and second, can i see pics of bikes with colored rims? most likely i will be doing black..

im excited to try it out, on my rims and other parts possibly..

thanks

Screw that, just send them to timoyz1 from the board. If you don't do it right they will not hold up. Tim's pricing is GREAT.

Tim did the rims and hubs on 3 of our bikes. My wifes and daughter rims still look like new still. Mine have some wear to them, but that's because I beat on them and they still don't look bad.

Here's a link to my daughter bike when I did a make-over on it. I had Tim PC a number of parts and the price wasn't bad at all.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772866&highlight=powder

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878961&highlight= here is a thread I put out last year many different colors to look at. I went with black DNA rims on mine. I agree with old man might be better to have someone do it that knows whats up. My biggest fear would be all that time and work put into them to have it chip off installing tires

ok so i called a shop near by, 35 bucks a rim. i will definitely be having them do it now..

so, my bike shop wants $$110 a wheel for taking the spokes and such apart, and putting back together. so thats $220 for 2 wheels remove and replace.

thats also $220 i dont have..LOL

so, i know the whole spokes thing is a scary deal for most, like me. is it really that hard? any tips tricks? can some one give me a run down and what to do and how to do?

thanks guys.

ok so i called a shop near by, 35 bucks a rim. i will definitely be having them do it now..

so, my bike shop wants $$110 a wheel for taking the spokes and such apart, and putting back together. so thats $220 for 2 wheels remove and replace.

so, i know the whole spokes thing is a scary deal for most, like me. is it really that hard? any tips tricks? can some one give me a run down and what to do and how to do?

thanks guys.

Lace them and true them the best you can, than take them to a bike shop and have them finish them up. I have heard around 40.00 for this, don't know if it's true or not.

thanks guys.

Where in CA do you live?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878961&highlight= here is a thread I put out last year many different colors to look at. I went with black DNA rims on mine. I agree with old man might be better to have someone do it that knows whats up. My biggest fear would be all that time and work put into them to have it chip off installing tires

If PC is done right it will not chip. ?

crf450xnut. yes thats what i was thinking about. bout i have no idea how to start to put the spokes back together..isnt there 3 different types? diff length? diff types? like where it hooks in the hub, the angle..and such..

i did a search on google and found a couple sites.just seems really complicated..

any thoughts? anyone?

If PC is done right it will not chip. ?

oh but yes it does.. its alot harder to chip it but its basically a plastic paint so it chips/scratches/gouges just like any other material.. ive had both my zrx wheels done in white... gonna get my AF500 rims done in white once i get the 17's.

oh an FYI- i work at a powder coating shop so i do know what im talking about... :blah:

500af3.jpg

20481826581_ORIG.jpg

unlacing/relacing wheels is a pita but really not that hard. If all you're doing is taking them apart to coat/plate the rims then wire or zip tie the spokes together where they cross. Remove all the nipples and wiggle the whole assembly off the rim noting where the vavle stem is. Then after plating repeat the process and remove the wire/zip ties. Now all you have to do is tighten the spokes and true the wheel. I jury rigged a truing stand using a spare axle and some hunks of wood. It's not perfect but close enough for a dirt bike. Or like suggested after reassembly take it to a shop for truing. Don't forget to check the spokes after the first few rides, they WILL loosen up. Also you may find some nipples that will not come off easily and will need to be replaced.

This is the method I've always used for replacing bent rims.

ok so im going to do it. 2 nights ago i took the rims apart. leaving spokes in hub, taped "Xs" together

tomorrow i have to call a couple places, i was going to take it to this one place but heard bad things about them yestarday. they charge $40 a rim. that same guy who told me dont go there said he thought that might be a lil pricy..so who know..

anyone have any common prices? whats usual?

im just doing black..nothing special

rear wheel

IMG00056-20101216-2113.jpg

front wheel

IMG00058-20101217-1407.jpg

both

IMG00060-20101217-1730.jpg

sorry about the first pic, i tried 2 times to upload it, dont know why its so big.

anyway, i put red nail polish on the spokes where the nipple meets, thinking when i put it back together i can just meet them up again..well the paint went down into the threads..:excuseme:

and the one red spoke is for me to know where the rim goes..if the paint doesnt get sand blasted from the tube side of the rims..we'll see

so i talked to a master 35+ year mechanic at a local big shop around here. he gave me some pointers.

he said when putting all back together, screw nipples all onto spokes until 2 threads are showing..then start tighting and trueing and so on..

he said just go round and round tighting quarter turn at a time..until there all tight..and the rim SHOULD be pretty close, since im not changing spokes or anything..just remove and replace rim hoop. so we will see. and ofcourse the whole what to do if what happens..

like if the rim leans one way..tighten the opposite side..and maybe loosed the other. and the axle in the vise with rim on it..and so on

so im excited. i will update in a couple days..

oh but yes it does.. its alot harder to chip it but its basically a plastic paint so it chips/scratches/gouges just like any other material.. ive had both my zrx wheels done in white... gonna get my AF500 rims done in white once i get the 17's.

oh an FYI- i work at a powder coating shop so i do know what im talking about... :busted:

500af3.jpg

20481826581_ORIG.jpg

I've never seen it chip, but if you are the master PC coater so you must be right. :excuseme:

I have seen rims that were bent real bad and the PC never chipped. Same with frames that had PC on them. Never chipped, but did have some bad gouges out of it.

rear wheel

IMG00056-20101216-2113.jpg

front wheel

IMG00058-20101217-1407.jpg

both

IMG00060-20101217-1730.jpg

sorry about the first pic, i tried 2 times to upload it, dont know why its so big.

anyway, i put red nail polish on the spokes where the nipple meets, thinking when i put it back together i can just meet them up again..well the paint went down into the threads..:excuseme:

and the one red spoke is for me to know where the rim goes..if the paint doesnt get sand blasted from the tube side of the rims..we'll see

so i talked to a master 35+ year mechanic at a local big shop around here. he gave me some pointers.

he said when putting all back together, screw nipples all onto spokes until 2 threads are showing..then start tighting and trueing and so on..

he said just go round and round tighting quarter turn at a time..until there all tight..and the rim SHOULD be pretty close, since im not changing spokes or anything..just remove and replace rim hoop. so we will see. and ofcourse the whole what to do if what happens..

like if the rim leans one way..tighten the opposite side..and maybe loosed the other. and the axle in the vise with rim on it..and so on

so im excited. i will update in a couple days..

Make sure you use some anti seize compound on the treads.

well i dropped them off today, $40 a rim. 3 out of the 5 five shops i called had $40 a rim..and i hear good things about this place. so i took em in!

he said maybe tomorrow afternoon..i doubt it tho..

i will show pics when i get them back. and tell how my voyage of spoke work goes..