2000 vs newer cr250s

i currently ride a 2005 crf250 and a 2000 cr250. i plan on buying a newer cr250. probably in the 05-07 range. i hear so much about how much less power the newer cr250s have. will i really be disappointed with a newer cr250? i am a fairly agressive rider and i usually ride on supercross/motocross style tracks. i really like the two stroke over the four stroke 250.

i currently ride a 2005 crf250... i hear so much about how much less power the newer cr250s have. will i really be disappointed with a newer cr250?

Nonsense. You won't be dissapointed if you're used to riding the 250f. The later 250R engines (case reed) make lots of horsepower, they just don't don't have as broad a power band as the '01 and older engines. But if you're an aggressive, track-oriented rider, you won't have reason to complain.

If you do get a late model CR250, you will probably want to consider replacing the stock carb with a Keihin (as from an older CR250). You will find LOTS of threads and info around here on people (including me) that are having jetting issues with late model CR125s and 250s using the stock Mikuni carb. You also may not have any issues. It's still a great bike to own, though. YMMV!

thanks for the replies so far. every person who gets on my 2000 cr250 to try it out says that it is terrifingly fast (most people i ride with have 250fs). im just hoping to get that same terrifing power out of a newer bike.

I think on paper, some of the case reed engines actually put out more gross hp than your '00 model. They are universally considered weaker on the bottom end though, at least in stock form.

Well, I cannot complain about my 2000 Honda CR 250...except the suspension rework, but what bike is set up perfect from factory? hahaha

Spend $350 on an 02+ CR250 for Pro Circuit to modify the cylinder and head. You'll soon forget about the 2000. My 2002 CR250 is faster than my old 2005 YZ450F

Spend $350 on an 02+ CR250 for Pro Circuit to modify the cylinder and head. You'll soon forget about the 2000. My 2002 CR250 is faster than my old 2005 YZ450F

how long did they have your head and cylinder for? im assuming you sent out the parts.

Eric Gorr will get you in the right direction....

i just took a look at eric gorr's site. under 250cc 2 stroke porting it says "Three powerband choices of more low to mid-range, more mid to top end or a smoother broader powerband". which of these would you reccomend to get for the 02-07 cr250 motor?

i just took a look at eric gorr's site. under 250cc 2 stroke porting it says "Three powerband choices of more low to mid-range, more mid to top end or a smoother broader powerband". which of these would you reccomend to get for the 02-07 cr250 motor?

Get an '02-07, ride it for a while and go from there. I bet you will be very happy with it, especially since you are an agressive mx-er.

Get an '02-07, ride it for a while and go from there. I bet you will be very happy with it, especially since you are an agressive mx-er.

i see what you mean. im just trying to get some ideas though. i like the fact that my current cr250 has a little low end grunt even though im on the pipe alot.

The newer CR's don't have stump pulling low end but they are no slouch either. I rode an mx track yesterday that had really deep, loamy dirt. Felt kinda like deep sand. I could go through the hairpin corners in 2nd gear and slip the clutch a bit on the exit and it was fine. Also did some really tight and steep trail riding last summer, lots of putting around in 1st gear. Bike did better than I thought it would.