Need some Boise info

I'm looking into relocating to Boise and need some advice about real estate. Not so much prices, more about what parts of town are more desireable than others. Schools are pretty much the key for us. If somebody could point me at the best school districts and what parts of town they are located in that would be a huge help to me.

I'm not really at the point where I would engage a realtor just yet (I still need to sell my current house) and would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance.

Meridian is pretty much a bedroom community of Boise. It is where I live and my kids go to elementary and middle school. I like the schools and we have had nothing but positive experiences with the schools and teachers. Meridian is reasonably central to most things you want to do like shopping, movies etc.

Kuna is a little out there and does not have much in the way of services, you pretty much have to drive to Meridian or elsewhere for groceries etc.

Nampa is pretty good size, has grocery stores, Walmart, movie theaters etc.

Caldwell and Middleton are less desirable areas to live in than the above.

I can't really comment on the schools except in Meridian where my kids go to school.

Kuna and Nampa will put you closer to the dez where you can ride year-round ? The dez is pretty short drive from anywhere around here though. I live on the Northwest edge of Meridian and the closest staging area in the dez (Hemmingway) is about a 45 minute drive one way.

I moved from Boise to Nampa this summer and would recommed Nampa over Boise. I have twin 6 year old boys and they are much happier in their Nampa school than they were in their Boise one. Many of the Boise schools are getting old and very worn, and there seemed to be a much bigger problem with bullying, at least with my sons. I moved to South Nampa and the schools in this end of town are almost new, as are most of the houses. There are incredible deals on REO homes all over the valley, Boise, Nampa, Meridian. I bought a 3 year old repo, 2800 sq/ft for $165K, and it was basically brand new. I'm close to the desert and have farmers fields on 3 sides of my subdivision.

If you are stuck on Boise, I like the South East end of town. Closer to Idaho City!

Kuna is a little out there and does not have much in the way of services, you pretty much have to drive to Meridian or elsewhere for groceries etc.

We have electricity and indoor plumbing in kuna now. Also a grocery store, walgreens, les schwab, and the best mexican restaurant in the valley. (el gallo giro). Unfortunately, they've also put in a 2nd traffic light.

I admit tho that I usually swing by winco (8 miles away) for big grocery runs.

+2 on the Meridian area. I grew up in Boise... bought a house about a mile from the Meridian city limit, but the kiddos go to Meridian schools. I have no complaints about the schools.

Kuna is quite a drive if you work in Boise.... can't imagine doing that everyday. Same thing for Nampa. Your time wasted in the car everyday has got to be worth something! I'll pay a few bucks more a month for a house in Boise and actually spend more time in it instead of in the car.

Drop me a PM when you get into town... Have a cold one :cheers:and share some lies:thumbsup:

Kuna is quite a drive if you work in Boise.... can't imagine doing that everyday.

25 mins each way (16 miles from downtown kuna to the airport), or an hour if I ride a bicycle. That's at the far margin of what i'm willing to accept these days, but at least it's all pretty brisk roads w/o much traffic. My colleague in meridian takes longer to get to work because of all the traffic lights and stop and go on eagle road.

Such great information. This is the kind of thing you don't get out of a google search. Although Joe's link to the school ratings clinches it.

I really want to move out there. I am trying to line up a telecommuting job and if all goes as planned I'm thinking Idaho all the way. With this info I can more easily target potential housing costs and start to do the real life math.

Thanks guys!

25 mins each way (16 miles from downtown kuna to the airport), or an hour if I ride a bicycle. That's at the far margin of what i'm willing to accept these days, but at least it's all pretty brisk roads w/o much traffic. My colleague in meridian takes longer to get to work because of all the traffic lights and stop and go on eagle road.

You staying on the backroads or getting on the road at 5am?

I have a 20 minute drive from my house each way, but I work downtown.

I live and work in East Boise. Love it there, the only place I would rather live is the north end or foothills, but I don’t have that kind of money. I like being close to work and near the interstate. I also enjoy the proximity to downtown, and the things that offers. I like a little more character than the meridian suburbs have. In general Boise is a great place to live. If you like the outdoors, you will love Boise. The riding in idaho is like no other place.

It's definately a buyers market right now anywhere around Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Kuna.... all good choices. In addition to great MC riding, there is

rafting, Skiing, Snowmobiling, Boating, Hunting, Fishing.... if you like being

outdoors, you will like it there...

You staying on the backroads or getting on the road at 5am?

I have a 20 minute drive from my house each way, but I work downtown.

straight up meridian road to the freeway, leaving between 7:30 and 8. Closer to 7:30 there is traffic at overland before the freeway, but it's pretty rare to run into traffic on the freeway if weather is dry.

It's only 16 miles. I can do it in an hour by bicycle (and I usually do pedal to work 2 days a week for half the year or so).

BTW, we did have 1 snowy weekend this year where I skipped riding, but last weekend was outstanding awesome perfect excellent wonderful conditions in the desert. Damp sand and virtually no ice or mud. :excuseme:

Don't move here it is terrible, the trails all suck, and your kids education will suffer....tell all your friends this also.:busted:

:smirk:The people who live here are jerks also... no place to raise a family:lol:

I wish we could still park at Camel's Back park, unload and climb up and over the hill... dem was the days :excuseme:

• 2 weeks later...