Sign in to follow this  

What gearing are yall running for MX/SX on your 09?

Im about to order new chain and sprockets and wondering what yall are running for MX? These are tracks in Houston... some are tighter than others but Im not going to be swapping sprockets all the time so I need a good all around gearing. Thinking about going up one tooth to a 49 in the rear. Will it make much of a difference?

Only reason for wanting to do this is because the bike likes to stall coming into a tight corner in 2nd gear. Ive only got 2 rides on this bike so maybe Im just not used to it yet. Im also about to order a MRD exhaust and a remap by Eddie, so if the exhaust/remap will help with the stalling issues then I guess the bigger sprocket would not be needed?? Overall I am happy with the stock 13/48 on the track.

What are your opinions and experiences? Thanks.

i was stalling my '10 a bunch when i first got it

now its been a few months and it hardly ever happens.

i have an mrd on my bike, love it. still planning on getting it mapped at some point.

13/49 works well for heavier riders on tighter tracks. If you are light, fast and/or riding high speed tracks, the 13/48 works best.

I run 13/49 on most tracks and prefer it. As far as stalling, have you remapped the bike? I suggest an idle of 2000 rpm set via tach. Also, if the bike is fairly new, it will get better at around the 20 hour mark.

I am 190-195 no gear. I place top 3 in the 30+ C class. Looking to move up to 30+ B next year, just to give you an idea of speed.

A remap and full exhaust is going on the bike for Xmas. The bike has no more than 12 hours on it total. Right now it idles about 1400-1500 per the tach.

I am 190-195 no gear. I place top 3 in the 30+ C class. Looking to move up to 30+ B next year, just to give you an idea of speed.

A remap and full exhaust is going on the bike for Xmas. The bike has no more than 12 hours on it total. Right now it idles about 1400-1500 per the tach.

Your idle is WAAAAY too low. Manual recommends 1800+/- 100, I recommend 2000. Set it when warm or your wasting your time. The stalling will get better as you put more hours on it.

You'll probably like the 13/49.

I'm running 13/50 remap and mrd among other things. I like the Dunlop mx31 for all of the tracks I ride (3palms, cycle ranch, and Dell Valle). The mrd is a great choice, I like it better than the megabomb/4.1 system it replaced.

E.