KTM 300 xc-w tranny swap

ok so ive got a 2010 ktm 300 xc-w. 5 spd. i know the new 2011s got a six speed tranny, would it be possible to cram a 6spd tranny from a 2011 into my 2010?? how much faster do you think i could go? id kill for an extra gear and more speed. i race sumo and ride on the street. thanks! :thumbsup:

It will not be any faster

It will not be any faster

damn really?????? thats bumming me out....:thumbsup:

Of course it could be faster. Here's the gearing for the 2010 and 2011 XC & XC-W:

GearChart.jpg?t=1291663915

Both the 2011 XC & XC-W trans have taller top gears than his 2010 XC-W. The '11 XC-W also has a lower 1st, so a much wider range. The answer is yes it can be swapped and depending which trans you choose you can get a wider range or tighter spacing. The problem is the parts cost nearly $1000 and you have to split the cases and do a lot of work or pay a shop $$$$ to do it.

ok cool! ill prob install the gears with my neighbor. hes an auto mechanics instructor:thumbsup: lets hope ill gain some good speed with that new tranny. i always need more speed:ride:

Of course it could be faster. Here's the gearing for the 2010 and 2011 XC & XC-W:

GearChart.jpg?t=1291663915

Both the 2011 XC & XC-W trans have taller top gears than his 2010 XC-W. The '11 XC-W also has a lower 1st, so a much wider range. The answer is yes it can be swapped and depending which trans you choose you can get a wider range or tighter spacing. The problem is the parts cost nearly $1000 and you have to split the cases and do a lot of work or pay a shop $$$$ to do it.

Where did you get that info about the gear ratio's ?

You will never see any differance between .760 and .793 gearing....Although the spacing between the 5 speed and 6 speed may help you get there a little quicker but I can't see it being worth the money... I'd try a sprocket change first.....

ok so ive got a 2010 ktm 300 xc-w. 5 spd. i know the new 2011s got a six speed tranny, would it be possible to cram a 6spd tranny from a 2011 into my 2010?? how much faster do you think i could go? id kill for an extra gear and more speed. i race sumo and ride on the street. thanks! :thumbsup:

not worth the time/money , you should rather just play with sprockets

Where did you get that info about the gear ratio's ?

Someone posted that graph on KTMTalk.