hot start

I have an 05 crf450r that has 5 hrs on a complete top and bottom engine rebuild. It starts first or second kick every time hot or cold. However, once every other ride when the bike is hot it won't start. I've been stuck in the woods kicking it for an hour twice. I'm wondering if it might be electrical or maybe a carb issue where the bike is badly flooding. It seems like I have to let the bike cool down to get it to start. The bike runs amazing but I need to end this intermittent starting issue. Any thoughts?

"technique"

When you try and start the bike hot you will have to learn when the bike is rich. I can tell when it's rich by the bike almost starting, when hot. At that point I use the hot start. Hold it in and it starts in 2 kicks or less.

There is another trick to starting. Roll the engine over until you feel the lever click, or give, and then stop. Release the lever to the top and give it a good kick. It should start everytime like that. This trick works on KX's, CR's, and YZ's.

19 out of 20 starts its starts perfectly. I understand how to use the hot start lever and start my bike. the problem is out of the blue the bike is just dead. i can kick the crap out of it and get no result. not even a sputter. its almost like a bad kill switch or something electrical. im just curious if anyone else has had an intermittent problem smiler.

19 out of 20 starts its starts perfectly. I understand how to use the hot start lever and start my bike. the problem is out of the blue the bike is just dead. i can kick the crap out of it and get no result. not even a sputter. its almost like a bad kill switch or something electrical. im just curious if anyone else has had an intermittent problem smiler.

I had the same problem when i purchased my 450r (coming off a 250 2 stroke) I was always used to twisting the throttle slightly with each kick... and that doesn't go over to well on a 4 stroke :thumbsup:

90% chance your stator going wrong... I had the same problems, 06- CRF have this trouble often, the stator going wrong when hot...

you can ship it there for inspection, this guys are great

http://www.rmstator.com

Pull the stator cover and look. You may have a bunch of iron debris gathering on the stator connections.

If you do, clean it off and see how it works. Then ask yourself where all the iron debris came from since the trans is separate.

You know the answer, you just dont want to think about it. And I dont blame you.

i had a ton of steel on the stator connections when i tore the engine down prior to my last rebuild. i thought i got all the shavings but ill check it out.

Something wear too fast

so my friend has a stator off a 02 crf that i can have. i tried to look up part numbers to see if i could use it on my 05 and i couldnt find anything. anybody know if i can try it?

They gonna fit...the difference is the connector is not the same

Pull the stator cover and look. You may have a bunch of iron debris gathering on the stator connections.

If you do, clean it off and see how it works. Then ask yourself where all the iron debris came from since the trans is separate.

You know the answer, you just dont want to think about it. And I dont blame you.

Yea. Not good for the wallet ...

check the valves. if your bike is running too good, it's often time for an adjustment.

Hold the kill switch down, the throttle wide open, and kick it over 5-10 times lightly. Then let off everything, and kick it twice. If no fire, pull hot start, and kick it two more time.

This trick works for me.

thanks guys im going to change out the stator. when the engine is hot it starts 90% of the time and a cold engine starts 100% im convinced its electrical but im going to check the valves also.

keep us inform

the stator was the problem. i finally got motivated and changed it out. havent had another problem in the last 3 rides. thanks for the input guys.

Allright, you had the same problem with the same bike, so I understand you soo much, it's really bad when this happen, this thing waste my summer