Sign in to follow this  

2007 ktm 450sxf

I found a brand new/never ridden 2007 ktm 450sxf for $5500. I thinks a heck of a deal, but something REALLY bugs me about the bike. Its a freakin four speed! Now I mostly ride trails and a little sand. The dude at the ktm shop said that its just a little fast in first gear, which doesn't sound too bad, because I ride fast anyway. But will it have enough power to get me up up the hills if I don't get a good run at it??? Do you guys think it would be a good trail bike??? Or should I keep searching? Thanks

5500 for a 07 450sxf is WAY WAY WAY overpriced. A pittsburgh dealer was selling leftover 09 450XCFs last month for $5200

The XCF is more desireable as it's a 5spd and 09 is more desireable as it has better susp, updated head, cams and oil pumps.

Right now you would be doing well to sell a used 07sxf for $2500, so as soon as you roll it off the lot it would loose 3k in value.

My advise is to keep looking.

Say I was willing to pay the asking price, would it do well on the trails? Or is the four speed mx only?

It will do fine unless you have tight single track, 1st on th sxf is close to 2nd on most 5 speeds.

If you buy a 07 you should swap to the 09 cams, and you NEED to upgrade the three oil pumps to 09 spec.

Why should I upgrade the cams? And why do I need to upgrade the oil pump?

The 07sxf had no bottom end and lots of top. KTM changed this in the 08 model by changing the exhaust cam. a bike with a very high 1st gear and a lack of bottom end dosent work that well on the trails.

The 07-08 oil pumps are just not up to the task. Between oil pump failures and pressure spring failures they tend to eat cylinder heads and exhaust cams. (do a search for "seized" in the KTM section here and on KTM talk.

Some of the things I have personally dealt with.

07 motor

pump failures

IMG_0231Medium.jpg

IMG_0230Medium.jpg

cam and follower scoring (head was still usable)

IMG_0201Medium.jpg

IMG_0204Medium.jpg

08 motor (this one was cause by injesting water in the crankcase)

This head and both cams were a total loss

DSC02052_resized.jpg

Wow! Those were some horrible pics to look at, almost made me sick to my stomach :blah: Thanks for the the help jar94. Well iv got about 5000 to invest into a bike, and I'm having a hell of a time finding what I want in my area. I'm hoping I can get a good deal on something since I'm paying upfront with cash, but no luck thus far :thumbsup: