Husqvarna TC 250 2010 starting problems.

Hello guys. Im desperate for some help and i hope that you can help me.

I bought a brand new Husqvarna TC 250 2010 for a couple of months ago of a Husqvarna dealer here in Sweden.

Everything looked ok, but then the nightmare began..

The bike is almost impossible to start when it's race varm. If you get a sudden engine stop , or take a brake for 10 minutes the bike is almost impossible to start.

NOTHING happens when you kick like crazy. No ignition. Nothing.

The only thing you get for a reply is that the kick "kicks-back" with a hell of a punsh!

This happens about 3/10 times when you try to start the bike.

When the bike is cold, it start's rather easy. ( Not super easy ) . If you turn it of. It might start again in 1-5 kicks, but it might take 30-40 kicks!

Husqvarna said that the bike would get better after 10 hours. But the bike have now ran 18 hours and nothing have rely changed..

The bike runs EXCELLENT when you well get it started. No boogs or miss-fires or anything. Great bike. But, when you get a sudden stop you can just leave it there......

I have spoken to the dealer and Husqvarna Sweden for advise. And this is what we have done:

* checked CDI-box ( some problems with some models. OK model )

* 2011 ignition-cap ( new part number, looked the same to me ).

* Updated carb-settings are mounted.

* Tried 3 different "hot-start levers/buttons".

* valve checked everything ok .

Husqvarna is out of ideas and so am I..

I have always run Yamaha 4stroke before this bike. And i hate to here the word " - i told you so " of my brand change..

So please. Help?

/ Adam.

I also had some serious problems starting my bike when it was new. It is also very difficult to start when it is hot. It does get easier with more hours. However, you there are several things you can do to make life a bit easier. Lean out the idle fuel mixture. This will make it a little harder to start cold and you may get some popping from the exhaust while decelerating, but it is worth it. (two twists of the throttle when cold, starts up first kick) Also, use the decompression lever, and the hot start button. Pull the hot start button. Pull the decomp lever and kick the bike over five or six times. With the decomp lever in, kick the bike over slowly until you feel tension against the kick starter. Let go of the decomp lever, and THEN let up on the kick start from the spot you felt the most resistance. This is what works for me when I'm nearly boiling over and I need to start the bike. I have about 30 hours on the bike now and it is way easier to start now. Good luck!

I have a friend with a TC like that that just sorted this out, will send him here. BTW he has been kicking butt on his at the local MX track.

One more thing. I installed a 100 watt lighting stator that also made it easier to start.

Ride - any word from your friend?

A little update :

Got the bike back from the dealer a couple of days ago after several testing from there mechanic. A CDI from a great working tc250 10 installed , and they said that the kickback from the kickstarter was gone and the bike ran good. However they don't have the opportunity to testride the bike race-warm.

After getting the bike back it started a little bit better i think. But then again, no.

The bike started ones and died straight away due to the cold ( my fault ) .

Tried to start it up straight away and it kicked back like crazy..

I prepared a big hole in the backyard to berry it the next day......

But then it started on the second kick, and everything was fine.

Ran the bike warm and everything was great!

Tried to start it a couple of hours later, and then it was stone dead - again....

Started after about 50-70 kicks. Fired up warm again after 1-5 kicks.

I will try to testrun the bike this weekend. Due to the snow it's rather hard right now..

But i think the cdi-box change didn't help. The carb setting is checked and rechecked. And propper working..

Out of options, and tired of a brand new bike from 2010 is this bad...

Yep, some of these bikes have issues at times with starting ... I have an 08 TXC250 and when it is very hot, I have issues sometimes ... Unless it is very hot, usually no problems ...

This ain't the answer but it will help ... I cannot kick my bike over like it is a 2T for starting ... The kicker needs a firm push-down, but not a kick .. Mine will ~never start with a hard kick ... If after ~2 easy push-downs on the kicker with zero throttle applied and it does not start, I pull the hot start button ... Make sure you start at the very top of the kicker stroke and push it all the way through the entire stroke ... I gotta be really deliberate with the kicking action on mine ... I swear,sometimes it feels like the engines fires as my foot passes below the foot peg on the last 2" of the stroke ...

I'd try posting this over at :http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/index.php

There are a few cross-over people between these groups, but this husky forum is a notch below the cafe in a few areas ....

Edited by ray_ray

Sorry for your issues.

Any motor that won't start due to fueling issues is either A: Too rich B: Too lean or C:NONE!

Starting any motor is not rocket science and since it seems to start ok cold, and runs well While riding (no bogging or hesitating) I'll bet your hot motor is too rich Common on 4t's, the reason it has a hotstart). As soon as it dies, turn off your fuel(sometimes needles/floats jiggle and let fuel into the bowl while kicking). use your hotstart immediatly and keep it open. Be in neutral. Should start in 10 kicks or less. Turn on fuel and rip! If it wont fire and hasn't popped, pin the throtte (Do it very slowly so the AP doesnt squirt bleed back to the bowl, once and hold it open) in addition to the hotstart, and kick should start or pop in a few kicks.

The kickback thing has me nervous, that's usually ignition timing (static or cdi caused) or could be bogus camtiming (but wouldn't run "great"). There's a rumor that the kickstart gearratio doesn't spin the motor far enough per kick which could also cause it. I've not kicked one but perhaps the traditional just after TDC on powerstroke may eliminate the kickback?? Major PITA but if it works......

Yep, put it in neutral for sure ... It increases the chances of my bike starting by ~100% sometimes ... I like kickback .. it lets me know the bike is firing and has fuel ... And these small bikes, it ain't gonna hurt with boots on ...

There is also a JD jetting kit for some of these bikes ... It has a different needle jet for one thing that most use for these bikes ...

Sorry for your issues.

Any motor that won't start due to fueling issues is either A: Too rich B: Too lean or C:NONE!

Starting any motor is not rocket science and since it seems to start ok cold, and runs well While riding (no bogging or hesitating) I'll bet your hot motor is too rich Common on 4t's, the reason it has a hotstart). As soon as it dies, turn off your fuel(sometimes needles/floats jiggle and let fuel into the bowl while kicking). use your hotstart immediatly and keep it open. Be in neutral. Should start in 10 kicks or less. Turn on fuel and rip! If it wont fire and hasn't popped, pin the throtte (Do it very slowly so the AP doesnt squirt bleed back to the bowl, once and hold it open) in addition to the hotstart, and kick should start or pop in a few kicks.

The kickback thing has me nervous, that's usually ignition timing (static or cdi caused) or could be bogus camtiming (but wouldn't run "great"). There's a rumor that the kickstart gearratio doesn't spin the motor far enough per kick which could also cause it. I've not kicked one but perhaps the traditional just after TDC on powerstroke may eliminate the kickback?? Major PITA but if it works......

Opening the throttle on the 2010 TC 250 is BAD advice in any hot starting scenario. DON'T do this. I've owned and raced a 2010 TC 250 for over a year now. These bikes are not hard to start once they are set up properly and the rider uses the proper technique. I posted some additional info at Cafe Husky in THIS thread.

A couple of suggestions....... valve adjustment makes a big difference especially when the intakes are tight. Also there is an updated heavier spring for the decomp mechanism. I changed one on one of Michael's TC250's and it helped a lot. My last suggestion is to make sure you find top dead center before you kick. Good luck.

A couple of suggestions....... valve adjustment makes a big difference especially when the intakes are tight. Also there is an updated heavier spring for the decomp mechanism. I changed one on one of Michael's TC250's and it helped a lot. My last suggestion is to make sure you find top dead center before you kick. Good luck.

thx for the info on decomp spring , i will contact husky sweden and try to get a new one..

Will testride the bike hard tomorrow, so will now for sure then.

The valves are perfect and checked by a aut. mech. so it's something wrong with the decomp/ignition.. maybe carb, but the setting is right on..

Will give a review of tomorrow's practice.

Ran the bike today - without any problems! Started perfectly cold/warm and even after breaking stalling and crashes!

no kickbacks or anything - the bike was now a real blast to ride!

( the change was only a new CDI-box ) . and with updated carb setting and hot-start lever.

And a heavier flywheel mounted.

Ran the bike today - without any problems! Started perfectly cold/warm and even after breaking stalling and crashes!

no kickbacks or anything - the bike was now a real blast to ride!

( the change was only a new CDI-box ) . and with updated carb setting and hot-start lever.

And a heavier flywheel mounted.

Great news! What are the carb settings?

Hi there i have a 2010 Husqvarna TC 250. I am 14 and have just moved up off an 08 CRF 150. I had the same problem when i got the bike. and I have found the cure.This is a mans bike not a boys.you need to give it a full powerfull kick, right from the top not from the first or second "click" of the kickstart and do not open the throttle when cold turn the fuel and choke on and give it 10 secs or so then kick it. and only use the hot start when it is boiling hot not when its warm if you dont use it when hot it will not start and will end up snapping your ankle. If you use the hot start when its warm it leans the fuel too much and makes it feel like theres no compression try it it worked for me hop this helps

Aaron

there is a TRICK to starting a husqvarna tc250, first slowly push the kick-starter right down and bring it back up, then push it until it gets stiff then push it a bit over that stiffness it wil go down about an inch then get stiff again, then bring it back up and kick it as hard as you can (this might take a while to get used to). but if you have done that one hard kick and it doesn't start you have to start the process again! it usally takes me about 30 seconds to get mine going and its has only done 2 hours!!

there is also a trick to get it going when it's hot, first put the hot start button on , then you slowly push the kick-starter right down and bring it back up, then kick it hard and it will start first time!!!

this is what they told me to do when i bought it and i gurantee it will work for anybody with a husqvarna

there is a TRICK to starting a husqvarna tc250, first slowly push the kick-starter right down and bring it back up, then push it until it gets stiff then push it a bit over that stiffness it wil go down about an inch then get stiff again, then bring it back up and kick it as hard as you can (this might take a while to get used to). but if you have done that one hard kick and it doesn't start you have to start the process again! it usally takes me about 30 seconds to get mine going and its has only done 2 hours!!

there is also a trick to get it going when it's hot, first put the hot start button on , then you slowly push the kick-starter right down and bring it back up, then kick it hard and it will start first time!!!

this is what they told me to do when i bought it and i gurantee it will work for anybody with a husqvarna

Do not take this advice, it's not all right. :lol:

I can't explain how to do it but i can get it first time every time now... when is actually running. :smirk:

Edited by JOXY