Sign in to follow this  

What oil to use?

I got a Honda CRF 230F and i am going to change the oil wondering what a good oil to use are any better than others? Its my first bike sorry for the newb question...

-DJ

Any non synthetic 10w40 will work. I ran the regular white bottle / blue label Valvolene 10w40 motor oil in my CRF150F for 5 years without a problem. Two years ago I switched to Shell Rotella 15w40 on advice from most people here in Thumper Talk. Bike is still running strong.

Do not, I repeat, do not use synthetic or semi synthetic. It will cause the clutch to slip. Even synthetic rated acceptable for use in motorcycle wet clutches will cause the clutch to slip. I found that one out the hard way. Automotive oil that says “Energy Conserving” on the label will also cause the clutch to slip.

Play it safe and use the white bottle Shell Rotella 15w40. Check the oil before every time you start the bike. Change the oil every two to three tanks of gas and your CRF230 will give you many years of enjoyment.

Sorry for another dumb question but where can i get the oil is there specific motorcycle oil or will non-synthetic auto oil work? Thanks for the help so far i need all i can get.

Valvoline makes a reasonably priced 4 stroke motorcycle specific 10W-40. I've seen it at Autozone and Advance auto parts stores. I use it in all my bikes.

+1 for Rotella T 15w40. It's cheap and works just fine and you can get it at any auto store.

I run anything from rotella 15-40, super tech 10-40, or mobile clean 5000 10-40 in mine, hundreds of hours on it

same thing I run in my sport bike, my car, and my truck. 45k miles on my sport bike, I've only used "automotive oil" purchased at walmart for under $3 a qt since 12k miles on the bike. Stock clutch still holding up strong!

edit: 150/230 motor is built to be soo reliable and easy going, you could literally not change the oil, EVER, and probably still get hundreds of hours out of the motor.

I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if it didn't have any problems. You wouldn't believe how many parents who have no clue about bikes, buy their kids bikes that don't know anything about them, and run them 2 years without changing the oil..

I once ran into some kids on the trail on a crf100, they had no helmets, wearing tennishoes, riding double, they didn't have much of a clue. Our conversation lead to mantenenace, and the kid said he had never changed the oil since he owned the bike, and that his parents bought it for him new 4 years prior lol.

I asked if he even checked the oil, he said no! I checked it for him on the trail, it didn't even show up it was soo low lol... I had him follow me to the truck, and I filled his bike up for him with my oil, I even over filled it a bit since I figure he wont check it for another couple years lol

Shell Rotella T 10W-40 at Walmart in the large container (1gal, I think). Best oil on the market for cycles, hands down.

Any non synthetic 10w40 will work. I ran the regular white bottle / blue label Valvolene 10w40 motor oil in my CRF150F for 5 years without a problem. Two years ago I switched to Shell Rotella 15w40 on advice from most people here in Thumper Talk. Bike is still running strong.

Do not, I repeat, do not use synthetic or semi synthetic. It will cause the clutch to slip. Even synthetic rated acceptable for use in motorcycle wet clutches will cause the clutch to slip. I found that one out the hard way. Automotive oil that says “Energy Conserving” on the label will also cause the clutch to slip.

Play it safe and use the white bottle Shell Rotella 15w40. Check the oil before every time you start the bike. Change the oil every two to three tanks of gas and your CRF230 will give you many years of enjoyment.

+1. My experience exactly. :thumbsup:

Couple of reasons for 15W-40 or higher oil:

Air cooled engines can get very hot.

High temp viscosity of 15W-40 oil is very much higher than 10W-40 oil. (High Temp High Shear testing is done at 150C, check out Bob the Oil Guy).

thanks a lot i appreciate the help i guess ill be making a Wal-Mart run then.

Shell Rotella T 10W-40 at Walmart in the large container (1gal, I think). Best oil on the market for cycles, hands down.

What are you basing this statement on other than the fact that it's cheaper than real motorcycle oil? Do you really believe that an oil that is made to do one thing (lubricate diesel engines) is also the best oil for your air cooled motorcycle engine which also shares it's whopping 1 qt. of oil with the gearbox and wet clutch? Will it work? Yes. Is it the best oil for the job? Not even close. Motorcycle oils are expensive because they have to deal with more than other oils and they are worth it.:thumbsup:

What are you basing this statement on other than the fact that it's cheaper than real motorcycle oil? Do you really believe that an oil that is made to do one thing (lubricate diesel engines) is also the best oil for your air cooled motorcycle engine which also shares it's whopping 1 qt. of oil with the gearbox and wet clutch? Will it work? Yes. Is it the best oil for the job? Not even close. Motorcycle oils are expensive because they have to deal with more than other oils and they are worth it.:thumbsup:

Oil analyses shows rotella to be extremely good oil

I wouldn't say it's the best oil, but for the price, I don't think you can beat it. It's not necessarily a 'diesel' oil, it's a heavy duty, for extended use in high stress applications. Just because an oil says 'motorcycle' on it, doesn't make it better then an oil that isn't advertised for motorcycles.

I'd be willing to be rotella is a higher quality oil then honda's non synthetic oil. As honda just takes bids on the cheapest oil, and re badges it with their logo. Of course I'm just guessing here, not basing this on anything.

Not to mention, the 150/230 probably won't make much of a difference no matter what oil you want, it certainly isn't woth the price tag for me to put $6 quart oil in it, when I can sometimes change my oil 2-3 times in a single week.

I personally run rotella in everything I own, manual transmission and motor in my car, my 150f and my 50f, my honda f4i, and even in the gear box on my moped.

I switch out my motor oil in the winter though to a 10-40 of usually super tech, sometimes fully synthetic super tech (real cheap stuff)

I'm sure I'm telling you stuff you already know, and run what you want in your bike just make sure its the right weight! I just choose to run rotella, and it's treated me great over the last 6 years.

Oil analyses shows rotella to be extremely good oil

I wouldn't say it's the best oil, but for the price, I don't think you can beat it. It's not necessarily a 'diesel' oil, it's a heavy duty, for extended use in high stress applications. Just because an oil says 'motorcycle' on it, doesn't make it better then an oil that isn't advertised for motorcycles.

I'd be willing to be rotella is a higher quality oil then honda's non synthetic oil. As honda just takes bids on the cheapest oil, and re badges it with their logo. Of course I'm just guessing here, not basing this on anything.

Not to mention, the 150/230 probably won't make much of a difference no matter what oil you want, it certainly isn't woth the price tag for me to put $6 quart oil in it, when I can sometimes change my oil 2-3 times in a single week.

I personally run rotella in everything I own, manual transmission and motor in my car, my 150f and my 50f, my honda f4i, and even in the gear box on my moped.

I switch out my motor oil in the winter though to a 10-40 of usually super tech, sometimes fully synthetic super tech (real cheap stuff)

I'm sure I'm telling you stuff you already know, and run what you want in your bike just make sure its the right weight! I just choose to run rotella, and it's treated me great over the last 6 years.

I was going to write a somewhat lengthy response however the fact that you believe one oil works for everthing made me realize it would be a waste of time. As to your comment about Hondaline oils, it only shows you have never used them. I have found them to be equal or superior to anything on the market. Jeff

I was going to write a somewhat lengthy response however the fact that you believe one oil works for everthing made me realize it would be a waste of time. As to your comment about Hondaline oils, it only shows you have never used them. I have found them to be equal or superior to anything on the market. Jeff

You seriously believe one brand of oil wont work just fine for every application I use it for?

I never said it's the best oil for every application. And I know what you are thinking "you use it in the transmission on your car?" My car calls for 10-30 or 10-40 motor oil in the transmission, so not like I'm using the wrong type of stuff, just the wrong weight, but it still shifts great in the cold. (people run anything from 10-30 in my type of tranny, to 80-90, to ATF fluid lol)

I've used honda oil, even my honda dealer tells me it's not that great of oil. It's over priced rebadged oil. I'm not saying it's bad oil, but for the price, it's not worth it, there are MUCH better oils for the price on the market.

My sport bike shifts MUCH smoother with rotella then honda oils, soon as I put honda oil in my 1st gear clank gets bad, soon as I change out to rotella its smooth as butter for around 1.5k miles tell it starts to get rough shifting again.

Have you tried rotella? If I wanna follow in suit of you, it seems you've never used rotella to talk down on it. :thumbsup:

And no I don't believe one type of oil works for EVERYTHING. Everything I have calls for something close to what rotella is, so rotella is what I run. I actually started getting rotella free about 6 months ago, I can get as much as I want for free. Most I've got in a single week was 4 gallons so far lol.

Just wish my truck took 15-40, it calls for 5-30, so I purchase oil for it. :thumbsup:

And I don't just run rotella cause its free, I've ran it for years prior to getting it free, now it's just a perc :blah:

I am using Spectro in my Honda XRs now after using Honda GN oil. I could not determine any difference between the GN and the Spectro. And I am not fully convinced there is a significant measurable difference between the "specialty" oils --and their marketing hype-- and good old regular branded oils like Shell, Valvoline, or Mobil if used correctly. At least my XR manuals seem to allude to this being the case --though they favor their high margin private brand--, they do state what you should not use clearly however(like castor oil).

The shop where I bought the Spectro bluntly told me that of the probably 6 or 7 "brands" of oil they carried they were all made by one or two companies and then just branded.

motoman354, I was wondering how you determined "equal or superior" we talking performance, wear, or some other benchmark? Can you make the case for the Hondaline oil with more than just anecdotal evidence?

.............. and now a different opinion:

I've been running Chevron 5w30 EC oil in my '07 CRF230F for the past couple of years, and I have zero problems.

5w30 is lighter and has much less drag on the engine at higher rpm's.

My engine is fairly heavily modified with 11:1, cam, many hours of port work, intake work, exhaust work, very light flywheel, etc, and the bike gets ridden very hard in weather from freezing to 100+ degrees.

........and for the record, I only started running the 5w30 EC automotive oil because so many myths about oil circulate on this board. I've run pretty much every oil anyone has ever said would ruin by bikes engines all in an attempt to dispel the rumors that still abound regarding, "Which Oil To Use".

So far, no issues with any of the above mentioned oils, and probably 50 others.