Sign in to follow this  

what bike for my dad?

hi, my dad was thinking about buying a used bike that's around $1000. he's 6' tall, and around 210 lbs. all he wants to do is ride on easy to moderate trails, and he's not looking to go fast. all he wants is a reliable bike that will be easy to ride on the trails. he thought my kdx200 was too much to handle, and that's without the kips valves.

hi, my dad was thinking about buying a used bike that's around $1000. he's 6' tall, and around 210 lbs. all he wants to do is ride on easy to moderate trails, and he's not looking to go fast. all he wants is a reliable bike that will be easy to ride on the trails. he thought my kdx200 was too much to handle, and that's without the kips valves.

Does he want something with estart?

GHill

Well he obviously needs a full size bike and if a kdx is too much for him, he doesn't have a ton of options. He would probably dislike a 125 even more as far as 2 strokes go. His better option is a newer trail-version 250f like a crf250x, wr250f, etc. Try to get him some more seat time on the KDX before he buys a bike.

i don't think estart really matters to him, but he doesn't want a bike that needs a lot of maitenance, and he also wants a low seat height. basically he wants to follow me on trails, he isn't looking for power. to put this into perspective, he said he thought my old xr100 was enough for him.

Might have him look at an older TTR-230.

$1000 price point may be a problem in finding something that's not going to take some (to a lot) of work right off the start. There are deals like that out there, but they're scarce, and you have to be really careful in your pre-buy inspection.

I would suggest a CRF230F (or the TTR-230). He is a little big for it, but it will work great for general recreational riding. Two of my sons are over 6'4" and they enjoy riding our 230. It is easy to handle and not intimidating at all. They are great bikes to gain confidence on. And very low maintenance. It is essentially the older XR200 but with electric start.

my friend has a 2006 ttr 230, and he's rode it before. he loved it, but it was out of his price range at the time. my friend is selling his for 1600, but it has a small base gasket leak. i'm pretty sure he could do better than that price wise.

Try the KLX in 250 or 300. Mild mannered 4 strokes, really decent suspension for recreational trail / woods riding. Almost identical geometry as your KDX. Low seat height, lighter weight than an XR and easier to start when hot. 250 shipped street legal, 300 as enduro not street. No e-start on the 300, but has automatic compression release and starts easy anyway. Basically the same design from 1997 to present, good support on the forums.

Another vote for the KLX300. I've got an 06 and really enjoy it. It sits a bit lower than other full size bikes, it isn't maintenance intensive, makes very smooth predictable power and is very agile. It's nothing fancy and any of the current crop of 250's would smoke it in a race, but it definitely fits the bill for casual trail riding. The E-start and plateability of the 250 would be nice, but in reality I can start mine using the kick lever with my hand if I want to (nothing I can do about not having a plate, though). Might be hard to find a decent one for $1K, but worth a look.

my dad was thinking about a xr200, because it's like a 230 but cheaper. he also saw a rt180 for cheap but i havent heard good things about those.

he's narrowed it down to an xr200, xr250, crf/ttr 230, or a klx300 if we can find one cheap. thank's for the help :thumbsup:

he's narrowed it down to an xr200, xr250, crf/ttr 230, or a klx300 if we can find one cheap. thank's for the help :thumbsup:

Thats good:thumbsup:

was going to suggest a 01 cr125 or the 2000 one. Its in the 1000$ price range in Cali anyways. Im about the same weight as your dad and that bike can take me up hills no problem.

Crf 230, nothing like the magic button on the trails, the older u get the less you want to kick start, makes me smile every time my buddies are trying to kick start their bikes.