Sign in to follow this  

94' Honda CR125 UPDATE*

I've almost completed my project, just waiting on the seat cover&trying to figure out a good jetting.. everythings practically new on this bike and finally got my SHOWA forks mounted. Bike started on the 3rd kick, it was a completely re-built engine.

DAVE

nn3cxh.jpg

2ahgzlv.jpg

2i71v78.jpg

15696c9.jpg

rm7ghj.jpg

Do I spy an Ohlin's shock!!?? What's the story on that?

And how hard was the Showa conversion. I'm planning to do that on mine. I can't find a billet bottom clamp for that year though..

That,s an Ohlins, Iused a 97 cr125 tripple clamps and put 94 lower bearing and had too press the stem doun about 10 mm. the top bearing are the same. 97 cr125 has a beafier stearing tube.Make sure you use a matching axel and spacers and calliper to those forks. the 87 KX is my next project.1 owner and never bean touched mechanicaly. Dave

Your bike looks great! Much much better than my rebuild and yours started 1 kick sooner than mine! You going to ride that thing? We should meet up sometime when the weather gets nice... or sooner (assuming I get my bike all figured out).

Seeing that bike brings back nightmares as a teenager trying to scrub that air box back to white again after a long race weekend. The 93-97 125s were great bikes. Wish mine had looked more like that instead of bone stock.

Looks great.I had a 94 250.One thing you might want to do is put the kickstarter back one tooth on the spline so that it doesn't rub the pipe.

Looks great.I had a 94 250.One thing you might want to do is put the kickstarter back one tooth on the spline so that it doesn't rub the pipe.

Good call! I actually just put mine on after my rebuild and had to adjust it back one spline to prevent it from hitting the pipe! I have another problem, though: the kickstarter "joint" splines are kind of damaged so it rattles a bit on the kickstarter shaft. The shaft isn't stripped or damaged that I can tell (steel). I imagine the kicker was not installed correctly at one point or the bolt came loose, thus allowing it to partially damage the splines.

At the time I didn't think anything of being able to pull the kickstarter off the shaft by hand, but then in the manual I saw that you should need to use a puller to get it off. So, are these generally a interference fit? Tapered shaft possibly that the bolt pulls the kicker on tight?

Sorry to highjack the thread!

At the time I didn't think anything of being able to pull the kickstarter off the shaft by hand, but then in the manual I saw that you should need to use a puller to get it off. So, are these generally a interference fit? Tapered shaft possibly that the bolt pulls the kicker on tight?

There is not an interference fit but they tend to get stuck on. I use a little heat with a propane torch to help remove them when they are stuck.

Mine has no spline damage that I can tell. I ran the bike before tearing it down with no issues. The kickstarter came off with just a little pry from a screwdriver.

Mine has no spline damage that I can tell. I ran the bike before tearing it down with no issues. The kickstarter came off with just a little pry from a screwdriver.

Mine is pretty loose! No screwdriver was needed to remove it. Once re-installed I noticed how bad it was so I removed it and sure enough half of each joint spline looks deformed so there is slop between it and the shaft splines. I temporarily fixed this by apllying teflon tape to the shaft over the splines and this took up some of the slack. I had no problem kicking the engine over; no slipping at all. I looked into the cost of these new and they're pricy (used doesn't gaurantee better condition either). I'm putting it off for a while since I have so much invested already.

Gary, I get jealous every time I look at this thread! What are you running for jetting right now in this cold New England weather? I'm going to try to get mine dialed in this weekend and take it for it's first ride!

I just put the seat cover on and will try and get HONDA silk screened on it .Will also adjust kick starter. I rebuilt both rear caliper and res. and gravity feeding the fluid. Hav,n a bitch getting the rear brakes to pump up.Bikes fast even comparing to my 06 07 08 ktm 125s I,ve owned.only thing is the cr125 doesn,t have the bottom end ,just a killer mid.Ran out of property before the top end kicked in.Had to show off my other winter project.KX125 tHAT WAS AN AMAZING find. Dave

Yeah, the KX looks clean too, especially for the year.

What did you do for the caliper rebuilds? Clean them up and put in new seals or more? I haven't even got to mine yet since once I got the motor "done" there were tons of other maintenance things needed. My motor sounded strong so I'm psyched to ride it soon, though.

So what are you running for jetting? Also, what engine/exhaust mods are on it?

Hey Stanga50,I have for jetting 1468 on the 2nd from top 55 pilot and168 main and 1.5 turns out on the AS.Might try a 58 pilot.To much bog on bottom.On the rear brakes Ibought the seals for the caliper piston and the stack for the resevoir. Have the entire set up hanging from a vise with the caliper down low with the brake pedal in the down position.Lets hope gravity helps. Dave