Hotcams stage 2 question

Hi all,

I got a nice set of used hotcams stage 2 from a fellow member here on TT.

I'd like to install those on my current setup (see sig).

Is this a big risk with 8500 mile OEM springs/valves?

Any good/bad experience with that?

New springs and cotters are never a bad idea. I can tell you there are pics here on TT from a low hour DRZ, that had a new 94mm BB installed and one of those low hour intake valves cam apart about 10 miles in to new egnine break in.... Runied the engine from the crank up.

Have you seen any valve wear? (valves getting tight)

Do you often see high RPM's?

I either are true I would have the head rebuilt.

If your engine is used gently, no sign of valve wear I would at least replace the springs and cotters. The Hot Cams are more harsh on valves then an OEM cam...

I installed mine at 12k and ran them to 18k. I only changed to go crazy. They are a high lift cam so definitely harder on valves and springs. Only slightly more risky than stock valve train.

Thanks guys.

No valve wear yet.

And yes, i like to see high RPM's. (grin)

So the wise thing would be: RHC valves and springs.

Trouble is: i have a hard time locating someone who can do a proper valve job.

Hmm. I think i'll be a good boy and try to do the wise thing i guess..

Thanks guys.

No valve wear yet.

And yes, i like to see high RPM's. (grin)

So the wise thing would be: RHC valves and springs.

Trouble is: i have a hard time locating someone who can do a proper valve job.

Hmm. I think I'll be a good boy and try to do the wise thing i guess..

Shipping was fast and easy.. and not that pricey.. Contact SSW and see about having them do the head work... it will add $100~150 USD to the cost, but you know the job is done right.. as well as the parts used are stocked by SSW.. vice ordering them in.

You can run those cams in a otherwise stock DRZ,, MANY,,,, did for years before other options became available.

Toss on some new springs and locks... Use a DRZ S or SM CDI to help keep the on the power RPM's down and watch the over-rev.

Get the head to Eddie or another trusted shop and get some good valves and springs

installed when you can.

I installed a big bore and hot cams at 8500 miles and had SSW rebuild my head with new valves/springs. Superfast turn around time. My head got to their shop on a Friday and it was shipped back to me on Monday. :thumbsup:

If you are worried about it, get it rebuilt, otherwise everytime you ride it'll be in the back of your mind wondering if your going grenade your engine.

Shipping was fast and easy.. and not that pricey.. Contact SSW and see about having them do the head work... it will add $100~150 USD to the cost, but you know the job is done right.. as well as the parts used are stocked by SSW.. vice ordering them in.

You can run those cams in a otherwise stock DRZ,, MANY,,,, did for years before other options became available.

Toss on some new springs and locks... Use a DRZ S or SM CDI to help keep the on the power RPM's down and watch the over-rev.

Get the head to Eddie or another trusted shop and get some good valves and springs

installed when you can.

Put the head in a box , and mail it to Eddie.

Doesn't take much more time than doing it locally ,and you will know it's in the best hands.

While at it, he could allways throw in some +1mm intakes and do some porting while at it :thumbsup:

what i don't get is why is it always claimed that these are just as reliable as stock, if they are so hard on valves?

And with 1500 miles on my motor, would i be safe dropping in a set of hot-cams with out a head re-fresh?

what i don't get is why is it always claimed that these are just as reliable as stock, if they are so hard on valves?

Who claimed Stage Two Hot cams are as reliable as OEM cams when no other provisions and /or adjustments and /or upgrades and /or repairs and /or service replacements are made to the valve train?

Link please :thumbsup:

And with 1500 miles on my motor, would i be safe dropping in a set of hot-cams with out a head re-fresh?

Are you asking about new available hotcams? or the Older version Stage II cams the OP and the rest of us are discussing?

Who claimed Stage Two Hot cams are as reliable as OEM cams when no other provisions and /or adjustments and /or upgrades and /or repairs and /or service replacements are made to the valve train?

Link please :thumbsup:

Are you asking about new available hotcams? or the Older version Stage II cams the OP and the rest of us are discussing?

i guess i made a generalization between stage one and stage two hotcams, my apologies. i figured they were similar enough, but i am referring to the new stage 1 cams. And not necessarily the reliability of the cams specifically, but you hear all the time 434 builds are just as reliable as stock, which includes cams, but does not typically include the head work.

i guess i made a generalization between stage one and stage two hotcams, my apologies. i figured they were similar enough, but i am referring to the new stage 1 cams. And not necessarily the reliability of the cams specifically, but you hear all the time 434 builds are just as reliable as stock, which includes cams, but does not typically include the head work.

Yes, a big bore BUILD done correctly is just as reliable.

But done wrong (with high hour OEM valve train parts, clapped out crank or rod bearings) it will be as unreliable as the engine parts NOT being replaced.

A low hour, motor, serviced well, and not overly abused (pinging of the rev limiter all the time) has shown to have no issues running a set of Stage I Hotcams.

Like Eric pointed out, there are two versions of Hot Cam out there. This thread is about the older, no longer available (new) more aggressive Stage 2. They are much harder on the valve train than the Stage 1 cams that are available new. The Stage 1 are about as aggressive as the factory E model cam so the factory valve train is fine.

Like Eric pointed out, there are two versions of Hot Cam out there. This thread is about the older, no longer available (new) more aggressive Stage 2. They are much harder on the valve train than the Stage 1 cams that are available new. The Stage 1 are about as aggressive as the factory E model cam so the factory valve train is fine.

yeah i knew that, i just didnt realize that the slighter more aggressive stage 2s were that much harder on the valve train. but i do now:thumbsup:

yeah i knew that, i just didnt realize that the slighter more aggressive stage 2s were that much harder on the valve train. but i do now:thumbsup:

I would not say much harder... a bit more lift and faster ramp speeds. The point is... To build successfully, you have to build and entire package.. People replace OEM parts with NEW aftermarket replacement or performance parts piece meal... then act surprised when some other clapped out part in the engine gives up... and blame the NEW part..:thumbsup:

where can i get a set of the old style stage 2 hotcams?

:bonk:

where can i get a set of the old style stage 2 hotcams?

:bonk:

Umm, used is your only option.. And I’ve seen one set for sale in the last 8 months, and already sold um. :smirk:.. Though will have another set for sale in 5 months or so.

Basically, check Ebay, the classifieds, and wherever else people place motor items for sale.

Edited by E.Marquez

They are generally tough to find these days. they are floating around though. A little luck and good timing....

Eddie can do a cam grind to whatever spec you want ..he will advise what would suit your engine and the type of riding you do....

Craigo is right.

Eddie has cams with a profile very much like the old stage 2

He told me about 8 months ago.