Help In Removing Stripped Brake Disc Cover Bolt

The top one came out fine, but the bottom one is way stuck. Since using an Allen socket stripped the Allen hole, I've resorted to other means in just removing it. At this point, the factory bolt is wasted and will be replaced, so I really don't care about saving it.

I can't use heat to expand the metal since the plastic disc cover will melt. I've tried an impact wrench, impact phillps, dremel cut a slot for a screw driver, hammered a flat head screw driver into the Allen hole, all to no avail. I guess a bolt extractor is needed, but I really don't have time to go to Sears to buy one. Are there any quick and easy ways?

:banghead:HELP!!?

BrakeDiscBolts.jpg

motomanx:

Thanks for the advice, but that trick didn't work either. I've tried to use the methods stated above, plus a few new ones; heated the bolt with a pencil torch and cooled it off with cold water = didn't work. Sprayed the bolt with WD40, penatroil, PB Blaster "BreakFree" = didn't work. Rode it around the block a few times = didn't work, but felt good doing so! ?

Going to Sears now to buy a Craftsman EZ Out set (bolt extractor).

Riding the bike, of course!

Edited by Blue Hawaii

I would have drilled it out. Use a drill bit with a diameter slightly larger than the bolt, and drill into the bolt head. Once you are through the head and into the bolt shaft, the head will pop of and probably be stuck around your drill bit. Then remove the other bolts and remove the disc cover. Now you can grip the stuck bolt shaft with vice grips and turn it out. This will be easy because there is no more tension on the threads. Use anti seize or a little bit of grease next time.

swissrallyman: Normally, I would have just drilled it out and then used a pair of vice grips or something of the like to remove the stud, but this particular bolt is a flat head Allen with a collar.

Krannie: I know... I know... ?

Old-Man: I have that tool, and it just made matters worse. I have the proper Allen wrench tip and everything. I will try to use the EZ Out extractor I bought at Sears.

Side story:

Since I couldn't remove the front tire to change it from knobby to dual sport, I thought that I'd tackle the rear tire. I couldn't even bust the rear 32mm nut loose from the axle. I'm afraid to use a cheater bar on the socket wrench after how my morning went. Better break out the air compressor and pneumatic impact tools... Sheesh!

That bolt sounds very stuck. I think i would just drill it out. If you go the EZ Out route be careful. The last thing you want is to break the thing off. I know this from experience. ? Those things are not as strong as they look, but they are very hard. Almost impossible to drill through.

In my case, I managed with a high dollar drill bit that a machinist sent me, but these places exist for a reason. http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html

I would have drilled it out. Use a drill bit with a diameter slightly larger than the bolt, and drill into the bolt head. Once you are through the head and into the bolt shaft, the head will pop of and probably be stuck around your drill bit. Then remove the other bolts and remove the disc cover. Now you can grip the stuck bolt shaft with vice grips and turn it out. This will be easy because there is no more tension on the threads. Use anti seize or a little bit of grease next time.

Thats just about perfect and exactly like it would go....but I'd use a 7/16" bit and just drill off the head of the bolt. Its got a collar on it and if you drill through the head and collar all the way to the stud you won't have anything to grasp with the vise grips