Sign in to follow this  

Stock ring end gap?

Can someone tell me what the piston ring end gap is for an 04 450? Stock piston and rings. New. Cant see it in the manuall etc. I think the top ring is a little tight and needs to be filed. But need specs first. Its at .008 right now. Kinda tight I think? Thanks for any help!!!

Top ring 0.018"

Damn that seems like a lot. Usually it's .004" for every inch of bore which works out to be .015".

GTXR, remember to only file one side if you didn't know that already :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!! I kinda figured it would be around .010 to .015 but want to make sure before I adjust etc.

Damn that seems like a lot. Usually it's .004" for every inch of bore which works out to be .015".

GTXR, remember to only file one side if you didn't know that already :thumbsup:

That .004" per inch is usually for a 5/64ths thick ring too. The narrower the ring is the less gap you need over all. Which is why you can get away with .010" because the ring is really thing.

Thanks again guys!! Re-measured with a straight head after work and were golden. At .012 wich I think is a good fit? Not quite minimum but close. Guess I wasnt paying attention to my gauges the other night? Now just waiting for the head to come back and away we go!!

Thanks again guys!! Re-measured with a straight head after work and were golden. At .012 which I think is a good fit? Not quite minimum but close. Guess I wasn't paying attention to my gauges the other night? Now just waiting for the head to come back and away we go!!

:thumbsup: