Frozen CamelBak

This weekends race was cold. The drink in my CamelBak hose froze. The water in the bladder was not just the hose. Any ideas on how to keep the water from freezing? Even though it was cold it sure would of been great to get a drink. Thanks Ron

Camelbak insultated hose might work. It has neopreane or something like that around it.

After taking a drink, blow air back through the tube. This way forces all the water back into the bladder and make sure you turn off the on-off valve.

dilute with alcohol ?

Sorry, I had to, you were thinking it too, no, I would never ever drink and ride, it just popped into my head.

Seriously though, reroute the hose closer to your body. MAybe route the hose under your arm, or under the chest protector, etc. Most of the time, your body heat is enough to keep it from freezing. Also, start with warmer water. No ice.

antifreeze of course!

what about adding a touch of salt to your water, your body could probably appreciate the eloctrolytes anyway?

whoops didn't notice the 1st link.

If a guy can't keep his hose from freezing, he's got REAL problems.

Seriously, you should be able to insulate that hose with something from a hardware store or some old packaging material and some tiewraps. It's doesn't have to look pretty, does it?

If a guy can't keep his hose from freezing, he's got REAL problems.

Seriously, you should be able to insulate that hose with something from a hardware store or some old packaging material and some tiewraps. It's doesn't have to look pretty, does it?

One of the advantages of the actual Camelbak hose is that it has an integrated cover that covers/insulates the mouthpiece, as well.

Well this thread isn't what I was thinking when I saw it. I was thinking perhaps that you were talking about ways to freeze the Camelbak so as to keep cool when riding. About 100 in the shade here every day of the year, add some riding gear and 99% humidity, you get the idea.

I usually add a couple of McDonald's salt packets to my Propel in my Camelback. Adds electrolytes and lowers freezing temp of the water.

wear the camelback on the inside of your jacket

LOL, Actually that is exactly what I do when it gets that cold. I run my drinking tube out between the snaps of the jacket.

Thanks for all of the replies. The older I get the more I sweat, I wasn't wearing a jacket just a long john top and jersey. I didn't get cold, I guess it was in the lower 20's, just my hose that was dangeling out in the air. I think I will try the insulated hose kit. Thanks again and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Hello. I am a rep for Camelbak and have a little advice for you. Even with a Thermal Control Kit, the water can freeze. Camelbak makes an electrolyte product called "Elixir" It has sodium in it that reduces the freezing point and helps a lot. I ride my bicycle/mb a lot in the winter and Elixir keeps the water in my bottles and Camelbak from freezing down into the low 20's. The Elixir is flavored, but does not have any sugar in it. It is a light taste, not citrusy or acidic.

Also, Camelbak just introduced a new reservoir, so you may consider replacing the whole system. It uses quick connects at the tube/reservoir interface, so it is wasy to swap tubes out. Identical to their military tactical gear.

Delete. Sorry for the double post.

How cold does it get where you were racing? Last year I rode in some pretty cold temps (12 degrees Fahrenheit). My friends had poured their drinks in cold from the fridge but my drinks were at room temp. I wore mine under a jacket and never had a problem with mine freezing although both of my buddies did. Now my pack was not a camelbak brand, It's an XPS brand (Bass Pro brand). Don't know of that made a difference or not but I think using the room temp beverage to start was a big factor. I like the idea of keeping the hose close to the body as possible and maybe taking some material from the local hardware store and insulating the pack yourself if your short on cash.