Sign in to follow this  

250xc wont start when it is 35* or below?????

Changed the plug (thought that I maybe fouled it) still wont crank. In the past week the Temp has dropped a lot been below 40* for about a week. Do I need to change my Jetting? About this time last year I rode in the snow several times and the bike cranked up after a few kicks so what has changed?

In the cold weather riders will fatten up their main and pilot...at least that is the word on the street? I'm sure someone that is 100% sure will chime in.

Air filter oil can determine if your bike starts or not. When I was using maxima FFT (blue tacky thick stuff) the bike would not start. This happened on my brothers two stroke in which it would not start until we removed the air filter.

The filter oil gets too thick under cold temps so we switched to something a little more less viscous (UNI) and it seems to be doing fine now.

The yammy 2 strokes come pretty rich from the factory for my elevation (3500ft) so for the winter the pilot jet (48) was perfect. I don't know about KTM's but you should check and see what other people are using for jets for your elevation, your type of bike and temp.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't chimed in with the old, two-stroke cold weather starting trick.

When it's cold:

a. Petcock on.

b. Pull out the choke.

c. Put the bike in second gear.

d. No throttle.

e. Pull the bike forward and back a few times so that you make the piston go up and down. What you are doing is "priming" the engine with some raw gas.

f. Put it back into neutral.

g. No throttle

h. Kick it!

Do not try this method more than twice on a cold morning. If it doesn't work the second time, you may have primed it too well (i.e. it's now flooded).

I'm surprised that someone hasn't chimed in with the old, two-stroke cold weather starting trick.

When it's cold:

a. Petcock on.

b. Pull out the choke.

c. Put the bike in second gear.

d. No throttle.

e. Pull the bike forward and back a few times so that you make the piston go up and down. What you are doing is "priming" the engine with some raw gas.

f. Put it back into neutral.

g. No throttle

h. Kick it!

Do not try this method more than twice on a cold morning. If it doesn't work the second time, you may have primed it too well (i.e. it's now flooded).

That sounds like a secret handshake for 2 strokes. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the replies gentlemen I found the problem today the wire that connects the coil to the plug boot felt the need to disconnect itself from the boot (so no damn spark) so I'll be trying to reconnect it this weekend.