Powdercoating complete wheel...

So I know people have done this, haven't heard anyone chime in on how they lasted in the long run though.

What I'm planning to do to save on cost, (I'm a college student, working part time makin 8$ an hour lol!) is to get the entire rim powdercoated including hubs and spokes. Yes I'm aware it would be best to take them apart and do it, but I'm seriously limited on budget and the rims still turn out good when powdercoated completely assembled.

Which gets me to the question. What all would I have to mask off (or tell the powdercoaters to mask off). The inside of the hub, and the threads for the brake rotor anything else?

I'd love to see pics of rims that have been powdercoated this way too if you have any. :thumbsup:

you need to be able to tighten your spokes, so you cant powdercoat them.

it will look bad and be better off to take it apart.

pull the wheel apart and have it done propperly. then laceyour wheel back up the best you can and take it in to just have it trued. some bicycle shops can true it for you as well.

i pulled everything off to powder coat the rims and hubs, and regreased the wheel bearings while it was apart,also with my powder coaters they have all different kinds off plugs and threaded plugs to block off any holes, the powder coating on my bike really does look good

If your a college student working part time only making 8 $ an hour why in the hell would you want to waste money on painting a hub and some spokes? :S

If your a college student working part time only making 8 $ an hour why in the hell would you want to waste money on painting a hub and some spokes? :S

Because I love the look of black rims, and I love customizing the look of my 450. I have money, I can afford to pay 150$ for the powdercoating of the whole rims. Now say I take them apart, then I'm looking at a much higher cost to re-assemble and true etc. Not looking to spend that much. Going the cheap route.

It's obviously not a do or die thing, but if I can get them done for 150$ or less ( I was given a quote of only 70$ for the rims awhile back so it shouldn't cost too much more than that for spokes and hubs too), then why not. I have photoshopped my bike with black rims/spokes/hubs and it looks 10000000 times better. It brings out the blue in my bike much more than the ugly generic silver rims.

Dude just stick with silver it looks the best anyways just polish it up a lil bit and call it good.

Because I love the look of black rims, and I love customizing the look of my 450. I have money, I can afford to pay 150$ for the powdercoating of the whole rims. Now say I take them apart, then I'm looking at a much higher cost to re-assemble and true etc. Not looking to spend that much. Going the cheap route.

It's obviously not a do or die thing, but if I can get them done for 150$ or less ( I was given a quote of only 70$ for the rims awhile back so it shouldn't cost too much more than that for spokes and hubs too), then why not. I have photoshopped my bike with black rims/spokes/hubs and it looks 10000000 times better. It brings out the blue in my bike much more than the ugly generic silver rims.

i would just buy rims and sell yours or have two sets. rim/hub/spokes are what 250 bucks new?

I'm a poor college student as well. Save your money for gas and beer. Those are much higher priorities than blinging out a bike (I'm all for performance parts but spending money just for looks is stupid, especially when you don't have money to burn).

Your going to have to do the rim/hub separate unfortunately. You need to be able to adjust your spoke. The PC with glue them together, as well as fill in the nipple holes on the rims, and the spoke holes on the hubs, so everything will be garbage after that unless you get the PC stripped.

Work a few more hours and do it right, it's worth it.

i pulled everything off to powder coat the rims and hubs, and regreased the wheel bearings while it was apart,also with my powder coaters they have all different kinds off plugs and threaded plugs to block off any holes, the powder coating on my bike really does look good

how did the powder coating hold up?i was told that even if powder coated,the rims will still chip and when it comes time to putting on the tires,thats when things really go bad.i was thinking of powder coating my rims but im but so sure yet.i do not race so its not like rocks from other riders are going to be shooting at my rim

had mine for a couple months now and they still look like the day i got them (except for a bit of dirt hehe) looks like there holding up well ay

Just unlace your wheels and lace them back up yourself. It really is easy and is way better down the road when you need to tighten a spoke or you break a couple spokes in a crash.

Dude just stick with silver it looks the best anyways just polish it up a lil bit and call it good.
I'm a poor college student as well. Save your money for gas and beer. Those are much higher priorities than blinging out a bike (I'm all for performance parts but spending money just for looks is stupid, especially when you don't have money to burn).

Sounds like he's commited guys, I think he needs a couple more years of college.

Sounds like he's commited guys, I think he needs a couple more years of college.

Heh, or I could save myself 200$ and go this route and have my own experiences with powdercoated rims. I doubt they will chip horribly if at all. Of course that comes down to the type of terrain i put em through. There are many many people out there with powdercoated rims and they have held up fine.

For my purpose doing it this way is the most cost effective, convenient way of doing them. Besides, the silver is far inferior to the look of the black rims now.

So far im happy with the look, only time will tell how they hold up.

Check it out

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941971

btw, so far putting the tires on the rims had no issues with scratching or chipping and I didn't even use anything between the rim and metal tire irons. Hopefully a good sign of their durability.

scrap the spoke idea and just disassemble them and do the rims and hubs. it will look way better and be easier on your budget.

and don't be lazy. take them apart.