2003 DRZ 400S Kickstart Kit. Need answers??

My 2003 DRZ 400S wants a Kickstart Kit for Christmas.

I was thinking about getting her one but, have been getting much contradicting info from posts, threads and dealers??

I have read it all from here to ADVrider and everything in between.

I need to know if the Kit that is sold now, for 2006 and up models will work on my 2003 S model??

I think it will but, would really like someone to 100% confirm it and let me know if I will have to do a bunch of fabrication or if I am just gonna have some extra parts??

Also was wondering if the Primary Nut and Water Pump fix needed replacement parts or just removal and locktite originals back on??

Any additional info will be greatly appreciated, I am only going to have a day to do this and dont want it to drag on.

PS- I just got bike and havent even done an oil change yet so every step will be a new one.

Thanks for your time and ride safe,

Joe Bates

same kit all years , all models.. same same.. one size fits all.

Primary Nut and Water Pump fix needed replacement parts or just removal and locktite originals back on??

apples and oranges.

The water pump fix is only done if the pump is leaking.. It's not a preventive fix.

The Countershaft nut., counter balancer nut and primary nut, stator screws and flywheel starter gear bolts are all preventative fixes, and are recommended for all models and years.

All parts are reused; you will need two gaskets to do all fixes.

All parts are reused; you will need two gaskets to do all fixes

Which 2 Gaskets??

I would like to order with the Kick Start Kit.

I am guessing that I would know if my water pump was leaking or is it something I inspect while inside??

Right side case gasket & left side stater cover gasket. The water pumps leak at a small weep hole you can not see. Look at the lower part of the pump for any coolant or coolant stains.

Gaskets are

GASKET, CLUTCH COVER

11482-29F00

BUT this gasket is often included in the kick starter kit.. So check before buying a separate one.

and

GASKET, MAGNETO COVER

11483-29F00

BUT, this is a metal lined gasket,, most times it comes off just fine and can be reused.

I am guessing that I would know if my water pump was leaking or is it something I inspect while inside??

small trickle of coolant from the weap hole.. Just forward of the water pump.. Right at the case cover seam.

This may help you understand the water pump fix

Recently put the kickstart kit on my 2003S, works great. Came with the clutch side gasket also so you won't need to get another as long as you do the fix while you have it all apart.

Recently put the kickstart kit on my 2003S, works great. Came with the clutch side gasket also so you won't need to get another as long as you do the fix while you have it all apart.

I stated OFTEN.. as there were some Ebay retailers that were not including the gasket in there "kits" ie they were taking them out of the kit they bought from Suzuki and selling in a separate auction.

As sold form the OEM the Kick Start kit comes with a gasket.. :thumbsup: Ask if your ordering from anyplace other then a new parts dealer.

I stated OFTEN.. as there were some Ebay retailers that were not including the gasket in there "kits" ie they were taking them out of the kit they bought from Suzuki and selling in a separate auction.

As sold form the OEM the Kick Start kit comes with a gasket.. :thumbsup: Ask if your ordering from anyplace other then a new parts dealer.

Gotcha :blah:

Are you CERTAIN it'll work with the 400S model?

Vendor says:

" Contains all parts needed to add a kick starter to your electric start only Off Road DRZ.

Part #: 26300-29811

WILL FIT DR-Z400E OFF ROAD MODEL ONLY

Fits The Following Models:

-DRZ400E OFF ROAD MODEL ONLY"

we are certain. really,not kidding.

Thx.....a little 'homework' reading has revealed that not all parts that come with the kit are used on the S model

Are you CERTAIN it'll work with the 400S model?

Vendor says:

" Contains all parts needed to add a kick starter to your electric start only Off Road DRZ.

Part #: 26300-29811

WILL FIT DR-Z400E OFF ROAD MODEL ONLY

Fits The Following Models:

-DRZ400E OFF ROAD MODEL ONLY"

Yes, sorry, please listen to the vendor.. Disregard the responses you get from folks here. :ride:

It's your call, the question was asked, and answered. If your more confident with the answer you got from a parts vendor, listen to them :thumbsup:

Same thing goes for the factory service manual, owners manual and your local mechnic.... Best you get all your info from them :blah:..

Are you guys removing the electric starter and battery when doing this?

The only reason I want to do it is to drop 20 pounds off the bike. Can anyone point out what needs to be done to remove the battery?

Rather than remove the battery I'd run one of the new small, lithium chemistry batteries. If you remove the battery you need to run a capacitor in its place. They work, but from what I've read here the wiring into the S/SM harness can be tricky. A lighter battery will just drop right in and will only weigh a few ounces.

I like that idea. Link me to the one you have in mind!

How about the starter? That thing has to weigh at least 6 pounds.

Rather than remove the battery I'd run one of the new small, lithium chemistry batteries. If you remove the battery you need to run a capacitor in its place. They work, but from what I've read here the wiring into the S/SM harness can be tricky. A lighter battery will just drop right in and will only weigh a few ounces.