Drz400sm conversion to motocross

I have been racing motocross for 6 years. I took a little break from it and decided to ride street so i purchased a 2009 drz400sm. Well over the past few months i have been thinking i want to race again. So i am going to convert my bike.

I have the conversion almost all the way done, I just need the rims from moto strano.

Has any one ever done this? Or will i be the first one. I do not care about weight, I have shaved about 30lbs off the bike so far.

The DRZ is not a motocross bike, and never will be. Of course you could use it as one but why would you?

If you raced for 6 years you should already know this.

I smell B.S. 30 pounds shaved off of YOU or the bike? I doubt someone who raced 6 years of MX would even consider converting a 2009 DRZ400SM to MX.

Well, I converted it to kick start, removed the battery and wires. I removed all the lights. I also shaved all the brackets off. So you can go weigh all of those parts and then get back to me =) I was just asking if anyone has ever done this. A simple yes or no answer and if they liked it or not.

i think you should change the forks , the sm are not made for jumps and if you took all that off i can see close to 30lbs loss hell the battery alone is close to 10 lbs

Well, I converted it to kick start, removed the battery and wires. I removed all the lights. I also shaved all the brackets off. So you can go weigh all of those parts and then get back to me =) I was just asking if anyone has ever done this. A simple yes or no answer and if they liked it or not.

Man i did Mine. I did like it for Enduro ride only. i also did the motocross field and its quite ok i can say besides motocross bike will suit better. Be careful not to end up cutting the frame links.

The bike is the same like yours. DRZ 400 sm 09 and convert to both ways.

I hope it helps what i wrote and the photos

Regards

MOTARD:

DSC00802.jpg

AND OFFROAD in a MOTOCROSS field:

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

Before the 4T storm hit...we had a guy running a coverted DRZ at our local track.... I never saw him actually race but he seemed to run the track just fine. I do think you'll have a hard time running with the current breed of 450's on the track and I don't think the Z frame is really made for extended jumping.

keep a eye on the frame at the steering head and look for mysterious oil leaks from the welds.

keep a eye on the frame at the steering head and look for mysterious oil leaks from the welds.

At the speed you guys are running, have you had trouble with that on your race bike?

Thanks for the good responses guys! Yeah im just looking to race in the 250 Novice class and play around. I realize its way wayyyy under powered. But ill have alot of fun challenging myself to keep up.

At the speed you guys are running, have you had trouble with that on your race bike?

not on the current bike,but it doesnt see that kind of abuse.

drz are known for frame cracks at the oil tank and i have repaired several.

i motox'ed a drz pretty regularly 2000/2001.

DSCF0017.jpg

IS THAT WHAT IT IS?!?!?! I was wondering about that.. I was convinced I didn't tighten the dipstick all the way one time but I've seen oil in that spot more than once... I jump the bike frequently, do you think the cause is airtime?

IS THAT WHAT IT IS?!?!?! I was wondering about that.. I was convinced I didn't tighten the dipstick all the way one time but I've seen oil in that spot more than once... I jump the bike frequently, do you think the cause is airtime?

very possible. clean the area well and spray some foot pwoder on it before the next ride. should show you exactly where the leak is. its usually the welds.

I'll have a look, Eddie. Thanks for the tip! I TIG weld for a living so I'm excited with the thought of dabbling with the frame.:thumbsup:

I'll have a look, Eddie. Thanks for the tip! I TIG weld for a living so I'm excited with the thought of dabbling with the frame.:thumbsup:

its easy,once you find the leak remove the paint and go over with the tig. i usually dont even add filler.

Eddie, can i fit a 19 inch on the rear or does it need to be and 18? I out my buddys 06 CRF250 wheel on the rear and it fits but the 51 tooth sprockets hits the chain guard..

I'v got an extra set of dirt wheels if your interested in a wheel trade with money on my end. shoot me a pm if your interested.

I sincerely apologize for doubting...I should have kept my mouth shut. I just had no idea it was possible, because my bike feels like a heavy pig compared to my two 250 2stroke MX bikes, and the suspension doesn't feel right for MX. I suppose now, with some money and time invested, it can be done...but would it be enjoyable? I don't know...I guess it would be fun if you can pass guys on new 450's on a DRZ.

It must have been a lot of work to convert to a true kick-start DRZ and shaving all that weight. I'm impressed. I've seen late 90's early 2000 YZ250's and RM250's for sale under $1500 on craig's list. Lube it up and slap a new top-end, and you'd probably have a better MX bike than the RM could ever be. Also, some amateur MX classes allow 2-stroke 250's to race with the 250f's, so you'd have a big advantage in power.

By the way, I just bought a set of DRZS rims on craigs list for $150 plus I got the tank, skidplate, bark-busters, and some other custom stuff for another $350. I look for guys selling their SM's "WITH DIRT SETUP" and offer them $$$ for just the dirt setup, and they part with it cheaper. Good luck.

nothing to apologize for.

that was almost 10 years ago. no way id do that now when you can by decent used crf 450 for less than $2000.

a good rider on a drz will still go plenty fast but they will go faster on real mx bike at the mx track.

by the way the bike pictured is a S model. :thumbsup:

Eddie, I see you have some kind of wrap on the head pipe in the picture. What was the purpose of that? To keep the exhaust gasses hotter?