Sign in to follow this  

Ktm Mini or SX after PW 50

Howdy 1st time poster. Go easy:thumbsup:

My son is going on 5 and has been on his PW 50 for a year now. Has no trouble riding it since day one and rides local mx track and around our property (10 acres).

His younger brother will be looking at learning on the PW in the next 6 months, so was wondering if to upgrade to KTM mini or SX Jr for the 5 year old.

He may attend some race days next year (2011), but only in demo class. Is the KTM mini a big enough step up or will he be wanting more bike within a another year. Or would you go the SX Jr which he may struggle with for the first 6 months, mainly cause of extra height?

Since it's been a couple of days since you asked and there's no response, I'll offer what I can.

I'm not a KTM guy and wouldn't know an SX Jr from a Pro Sr. But my opinion is the correct size bike is the most important factor in selecting a new bike, then consider the bike's capabilities for the rider.

Number 1, the correct size bike gives a rider confidence. Even with experience on the PW50, confidence when riding his next bike is a good thing.

Number 2, if he outgrows the capabilities of a smaller bike, he'll learn some way to compensate for it. This is an added benefit if you're serious about racing. Carrying speed through corners is a great skill which will be delayed if he's got something he can just mash the gas and get up to fun speed again when he's out of a corner. The small bike would make him a better rider at the end of the day.

I'd go with the bike that fits him and then worry about the next step up when he needs it.

It sounds like you could get by with either.

The main practical difference is the mini has a spring actuated clutch that engages gently at low rpm. The Jr. has the washer stack setup that is usually set to hit harder at a high rpm. The springs are more durable, especially for trail riding. The washers better for holeshots and aggressive riders exiting corners. Of course, you can tone down a Jr. or soup up a mini, within reason.

My youngest moved from a pw to a mini adventure a few months ago. I chose that one simply because it was a great deal. He won't be on it long as the sr is ready

i say get the bike that fits (if finances allow) and move up when his inseam needs the extra couple inches as mentioned by Smacaroni mentioned.:thumbsup:

Take note too as bailer said that you can squeeze a lot of performance out of these bikes through mods, engine, bolt on, machining, etc. Even suspension can be re valved or purchase a whole fork or shock assembly.:blah:

If you look the differences are not to great other then seat height, brakes as you move to later models, carb, things that are often interchangeable.

What years are you considering?

Check the microfiche for part comparison by model and bikez.com for basic stats. Again things like carb, springs, forks, etc often bolt on from one model to another so you can always buy a used part off ebay and slap it on to get the performance up to the JR/SR levels. I will mention I am not super familiar with 02 and up but the big ones from Mini and the others are forks, liquid cooled (LC), disc brakes, pipe. These things are adopted a couple years later by the mini though so the later you go the more the mini has the same features as an year or two older JR.:ride:

Don't forget to post pics of him riding the final decision.

Thanks guys.

I decided to look for a Mini adventurer as I think it will be enough of a step up plus like mentioned is better for trail riding which is what he does around home.

Took him to the local KTM shop on the weekend (as I was hunting a new 450), and he has decided that he now likes the color ORANGE:thumbsup:

Now all I have to do is work on the Minister for Finance (Wife) :worthy:so we can bring a couple of KTMs home.

Thanks guys.

I decided to look for a Mini adventurer as I think it will be enough of a step up plus like mentioned is better for trail riding which is what he does around home.

Took him to the local KTM shop on the weekend (as I was hunting a new 450), and he has decided that he now likes the color ORANGE:thumbsup:

Now all I have to do is work on the Minister for Finance (Wife) :worthy:so we can bring a couple of KTMs home.

remember he may out grow the bike within a year so don't forget Craigslist, great deals on newer KTMs, see them going for less then 2K for an 09 (save you over a grand with tax and lic)

I think that is a good choice, also when he does move up it is nice to have something his friends can jump on too and ride with him:thumbsup: That comes form experience, have 3 50s keeping all of them (also for my 18m old daughter in a year or so when she is big enough for the PW) 81 PW50, 98 KTM 50 MA, 06 KTM MA. The used ones needed a lot of work but also learned a ton about them and have practically new bikes with the parts I have replaced.

Don't forget pics when he sees it for the first time:smirk:

I will throw something in here....If you are thinking of going racing I would say buy an 09 KTM JR. Here's my thinking....You ALREADY own an INJECTED bike in the PW. The KTM JR is not injected. At many races the 50's classes are split between injected, and not. You can bring your PW, and your kid can ride two classes, double the seat time.

Didn't read through all the responses but wanted to give some input. I had the same situation with my son and I went with the SX Jr however, I took the washer stacks out of the clutch and replaced them with the springs. It just tames the takeoff making it more beginner friendly. I'm going to give him a couple months on it and, if I feel he's ready, I'll start messing with some light stacks and find the one that works for him and track conditions.