Moving up from a ttr125

I've been riding for about six years now. My parents got me a ttr125le way back when it was the right size for me, but now im 5' 11" and weigh 205. I'd say I'm a decent rider, fairly comfortable with things but I'm not sure what bike I'd be able to handle or would be a good fit. I don't really care if it's two or four stroke, but it has to be green sticker for California which means 2002 or older unless it's something like the crfx or wr. I definitely want to buy used, don't have a lot of cash. I ride mostly trails and hills and stuff. Some tracks here and there but not a lot. I think I'd like to get into it though if I had a decent bike. I've ridden a ttr 225 and 250 before. I definitely want more than that but not a bike that is a total pig (super heavy). Any recommendations?

oh and if anyone wants a ttr let me know!

Edited by jlane

and im 17. sorry forgot to say

If i was you i would look into something like the CRF250X its a great trail bike. It might struggle with some hills against 450s, but will be way better than your ttr. Also the XR250 is a great bike just not as modern as the 250X. It might be a better choice for a smaller buget tho. It will cost less to buy and less to maintain.

does that bike have enough power to get around in the sand? i was thinking about doing some desert riding pretty soon

For the sand with 2 strokes, you want atleast a KDX200. I would go with a 250 mx bike or maybe a nice KTM XC/EXC 200. All of those bikes will be less then 220 pounds. Four strokes you will want a 250f (racing version) at the very least.

Yea if your doing sand then get a 250 2 stroke.

i've heard a lot of mixed stuff about 250 2 strokes though. can they do trails without having to rev like crazy?

yea they can easily do trails.

any suggestion for which brands from 2000-2002?

Look into a KDX 200/220:thumbsup:

For the sand with 2 strokes, you want atleast a KDX200. I would go with a 250 mx bike or maybe a nice KTM XC/EXC 200. All of those bikes will be less then 220 pounds. Four strokes you will want a 250f (racing version) at the very least.

I was just going to say the same thing.

i've heard a lot of mixed stuff about 250 2 strokes though. can they do trails without having to rev like crazy?

That's a simple gearing change on a MX bike (new chain and sprockets).

IMHO, I steer you towards a KDX 200/220 or a KTM 200/250 or 300 exc. 380 if you really got some stones in your pockets. :thumbsup:

These bikes come from the factory with a wide ratio trans (bigger gap between gears, and the top gear is for higher speeds), heavier flywheel (less stalling prone), and the susp is intended for trails, not high flying antics like a MX'er.

They also have larger fuel tanks and lighting coils.

how is the ktm 300 power wise compared to the 200?

how is the ktm 300 power wise compared to the 200?

About what you'd expect up on top, but down low the 300 pulls like a Farmall tractor (like a thumper).

Kinda eerie that a smoker can be lugged down to that low of an RPM and just grunt up the RPM range.

About what you'd expect up on top, but down low the 300 pulls like a Farmall tractor (like a thumper).

Kinda eerie that a smoker can be lugged down to that low of an RPM and just grunt up the RPM range.

Could'nt have said it better myself:thumbsup:

Look at a yz250 2002 or newer. They are awesome bikes and they pack a ton of power and fun

the 250 mx bikes seem a lot easier to come by. i think i might try to go with one of those

ugh a friend of mine called today to tell me he's selling his ktm 250. its an xc i think. i want it so bad but it's red sticker and an 07 so a little too pricey. i hate these california laws!

ugh a friend of mine called today to tell me he's selling his ktm 250. its an xc i think. i want it so bad but it's red sticker and an 07 so a little too pricey. i hate these california laws!

Want me to really make you go :blah:?

I can load up my "red sticker" bikes that are registered in MN and come to CA and ride anytime, any open riding area, and not only do I not have to buy CA registration, but I don't have to pay attention to CA's Christmas Color Stickers.

Be patient, one shall come along that is in your price range, meets your sticker needs, and is in good condition. Nothing worth having comes easy.:thumbsup:

i should just go to reno and buy one there! its like four hours away. i found an 02 ktm 300 but then a couple people told me it was probably too much bike. oh well

i should just go to reno and buy one there! its like four hours away. i found an 02 ktm 300 but then a couple people told me it was probably too much bike. oh well

It is not too much. Since it has even power, you can easily get used to it and use all of the 300ccs when you are ready.