help me..pipe selection

I am strictly MX, BUT I want a pipe without an abrupt hit...I have an FMF SST on there now with a FMF shorty silencer, but I had a pretty bad spill last weekend and bent it all up.

I was thinking either a FMF factory fatty or a DEP pipe, what do you guys think?

I have read lots of bad things about the SST or I would just get another one

The stock pipe would be a huge improvement on a new SST.

The DEP is a nice pipe however. The Fatty is almost as good as a stocker.

how bad is the hit on a stocker? I just keep having flashbacks of my 02 CR250 that acted like a 125 the hit was so severe, then I got on my YZ250 with the SST and it almost felt like a 4 stroke, which I LOVE

Its not as bad as the cr since the yz has good low end. The fmf feels liek stock. The dep is nice down low..smooth and fast.

well I cant really find any good condition 05-up pipes and on Ebay the DEP is only about $20 more than FMF, so on payday it looks like I am going DEP, gonna try and bend my pipe back into shape for this weekend so I can ride at least

Believe it or not a good condition stock pipe is probably the hardest one of all to find... I have 3 of them on the shelf in the garage and not getting rid of any of them any time soon for that exact reason. I run it alot on race day because honestly the stock pipe feels like it has the best pull throughout the rpm range of any pipe Ive tried, the DEP is close though, I felt FMF and PC either pulled too late or signed off a little early with the shorty silencer which is almost a must on my local MX tracks.

The dyno thread shows that either the fatty or the dep make more and broader power than the best stock pipe, and they have similar curves. You are really splitting hairs, but if you do find a good deal on the dep I would go with that one, also the regular fatty has the same shape as the factory fatty, and it doesn't rust.

Get a dep and dont look back.

The dyno thread shows that either the fatty or the dep make more and broader power than the best stock pipe, and they have similar curves. You are really splitting hairs, but if you do find a good deal on the dep I would go with that one, also the regular fatty has the same shape as the factory fatty, and it doesn't rust.

Spot on:thumbsup:Sounds like you have narrowed it down to two really good pipes. The FMF Factory fatty and the DEP offer a good gain over stock for MX. Theres loads of charts in the sticky or can email over what you want compared. The FMF is actually stronger than stock until around 6.5K where it matches it, then makes between 0 and 1.5 more through to 10K. The DEP matches stock if not slightly better through to 6.5K then makes 0.5 to 4hp more through to 10K. I was honestly suprised that any aftermarket pipe is beter than stock all through the range but for me they really are. And the torque curves are better thorughout the entire range too. Good stuff.

:bonk:I totally forgot about the pipe shootout you did Stimps... it was interesting to see those graphs based on the conclusions I came to on the private track I ride. This may be a dumb question but Im curious, why did the stock pipe + fmf shorty for a little extra bottom feel like it had the best pull throughout the entire rpm range on my 08 Yz250? Is it just my riding style or is there some reason behind it based on track condition or layout? I know the numbers say otherwise but the way they felt to me on the track tell another story. I cant remember which was which between the PC and the FMF but one of them seemed to sign off a little earlier than the stocker with a little more on the bottom and one seemed to have a little less on the bottom with a little more over rev. which seemed to fit my style best since I prefer to ride on the pipe... I guess neither felt as good as the stocker or DEP to "me".

Or maybe Im just crazy lol.:thumbsup:

Side Note: Sorry OP not trying to steal your thread, thought this info would be helpful to you as well if I get an answer. I think I asked this question in the sticky but never got an answer so hopefully Ill get one here.

It is strange how the numbers can differ from the feel each set-up gives. I'd swear blind the PC pipe is a top end ripper with nothing in the basement. The dyno says it is actualy stronger than stock throughout but rather than tailing of towards peak it pulls really strong with a steep build before signing off slightly sooner than stock. I think it is this steepness of the curve and the fact it is building the power quicker than the other (stock) pipe that gives this top end rush sensation. It should be quite a good moto pipe and more than a few have thought this. The fatty in comparison is more well rounded and is a little softer on the bottom end but it holds power 100-200rpm longer than the PC. Shame I never had a true shorty to test, I suspect if it gave a steep ramp at any point on the curve and it is also the RPM range, gearing etc you ride in it could feel the most responsive. That's just my opinion but the great thing about all our tests is that no one had anything to prove or justify so all valid results. We need more.

thanks for the info guys! Like I said, I am mainly looking for a pipe that does not have an abrupt hit to it, and you guys have been very helpful, I can get a KILLER deal on a new FMF fatty, so that is probably the route I will take, its more like a $50 difference between the DEP and the FMF now

Edited by fivepointnine

Stock or DEP.

Retarding the timing will lessen the hit. See Carvers timing thread for more info.

I know it's different but j had the same exact set up on my 144 and I got a stock pipe but left the shorty on and for me the stock pipe hits harder. I felt the sst smoothed the power out more and gave it more on top with better throttle response and the stock gave it more on bottom bit harder and did not last on top. But this is on a 144

I just tried a Pro-Circuit Platinum and R304 (not shorty) on my 2010 YZ250Z vs the stock system on Saturday.

The bike has 5 hours or less since new, is jetted well, and runs on 100LL (AVGas) at 32:1 with YamaLube 2R.

I was pleased with the increase in low-mid smoothness. I didn't say more power, just smoothness. The power delivery IS better than the OEM parts, I can feel the extra control I have of rear wheel traction when cornering with this system.

Bike isn't really louder, but sounds a bit more crisp.

Never tried a DEP yet. I know I liked the OEM exhaust better than the SST on my 2002 YZ which is still running strong with a 2005 OEM system.

I just tried a Pro-Circuit Platinum and R304 (not shorty) on my 2010 YZ250Z vs the stock system on Saturday.

The bike has 5 hours or less since new, is jetted well, and runs on 100LL (AVGas) at 32:1 with YamaLube 2R.

I was pleased with the increase in low-mid smoothness. I didn't say more power, just smoothness. The power delivery IS better than the OEM parts, I can feel the extra control I have of rear wheel traction when cornering with this system.

Bike isn't really louder, but sounds a bit more crisp.

Never tried a DEP yet. I know I liked the OEM exhaust better than the SST on my 2002 YZ which is still running strong with a 2005 OEM system.

how was the SST different from the OEM? I have never ran the OEM, just the SST

It is strange how the numbers can differ from the feel each set-up gives. I'd swear blind the PC pipe is a top end ripper with nothing in the basement. The dyno says it is actualy stronger than stock throughout but rather than tailing of towards peak it pulls really strong with a steep build before signing off slightly sooner than stock. I think it is this steepness of the curve and the fact it is building the power quicker than the other (stock) pipe that gives this top end rush sensation. It should be quite a good moto pipe and more than a few have thought this. The fatty in comparison is more well rounded and is a little softer on the bottom end but it holds power 100-200rpm longer than the PC. Shame I never had a true shorty to test, I suspect if it gave a steep ramp at any point on the curve and it is also the RPM range, gearing etc you ride in it could feel the most responsive. That's just my opinion but the great thing about all our tests is that no one had anything to prove or justify so all valid results. We need more.

Agreed... its all so confusing when comparing numbers to feel lol. The graphs dont lie though (not to mention best sticky on the site in IMO:thumbsup:)... I was expecting the dyno to give concrete numbers and info that would translate to the track but the results were exactly the opposite of what I expected. I guess the only real way to find out what really works for a specific rider is for that rider to test and get a feel for each pipe/ silencer combo and find out what works best for them considering everyones style, terrain, gearing, mods, and conditions are different.

well I picked up a very good condition fatty for $100 shipped so Ill try it out, although I will keep an eye out for other pipe deals, and probably send my SST out to get fixed

Cant really go wrong with that plan if you ask me... you can never have too many pipes for the Yz.