Sign in to follow this  

Supercross PJ Larsen, Matt Moss Championship Controversy

Update from transmoto.com

At the start of the week, we broke the story that the Lites Super X title could possibly be stripped from Matt Moss. The reason for this is because Moss didn't complete the required 75% of the race distance in the first moto at Brisbane, meaning he could be forced to forego the 4 points he gained. This would put PJ Larsen in the lead by 2 points.

We've made some phone calls to try and find out what's going on. As it stands, it's too early to accurately make a call on what will happen with the title. We can say that Racing Director, Kevin Williams, and the promoter, Global Action Sports, don't get a say in the matter. It's up to MA to make the ruling, but they haven't said when that'll occur. MA's Communications Officer, Erin Lagoudakis, said "It's being investigated, and as soon as a decision has been made, MA will be making an announcement regarding it."

We rang up Matt Moss and asked him what he thought about the current situation. Moss said "It's a load of crap. I don't see how someone can have a crash, stay on track, get back up and finish the race and be told they didn't do enough laps around the track to get points. I put in 100% for that race.".

Keep your eye on the Transmoto website tomorrow as we bring you more information about what's happening.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAX!!!

If the situation is as stated in the article then PJ should come to the US with that champinship. It should be a matter of time!

HELL YEA, CONGRATS PJ:banana::thumbsup:

From motoonline.com.au

Oz SX: Larsen officially crowned Super X Lites ChampionPosted: 13 Dec 2010 | Posted By: Alex Gobert | Section: Breaking News | Comments: 1 |

American PJ Larsen has officially been crowned the 2010 Super X Lites Champion. Image: Sport The Library.

American PJ Larsen has officially been declared the 2010 Monster Energy Super X, Australasian Supercross Champion, confirmed by Motorcycling Australia this morning after a number of days under review.

JDR Motorex KTM team rider Larsen has been awarded the title that originally went to Rockstar Motul Suzuki’s Matt Moss, however since Moss failed to finish 75 percent of the first final at Brisbane’s last round he has lost the six points awarded for 15th in that race.

The result sees Larsen, who is now back in the U.S, crowned the champion by four points over Moss.

“Motorcycling Australia can confirm that following further investigation from race officials, PJ Larsen has been officially declared as the Pro Lites 2010 Australian Supercross Champion,” a statement from MA said.

“A mistake was made in the compilation of results at the final round whereby Matt Moss was awarded points despite completing less than 75 per cent of one of the races - as per GCR 12.11.2.

“This was rectified by the Steward of the meeting, Paul Foster. MA, on behalf of race officials, would like to apologise to the riders and their teams who through no fault of their own were put through this uncertainty.”

Stay tuned for comments from the new champion as well as further information on the result.

Awesome for PJ, coming back to the US w/ back to back titles. Good luck to PJ come A1. GET SOME!!!!

MAX!!!

thats crap! i mean really... 2 points? he hit the ground and made the best of a bad night. he finished 15th. the came back from that to win the championship. this mistake was made in round 1 and it has taken this long to find. should be a rule like nfl next rd is cut off for this. he could have went harder in a diff round to make that back up. lots of things can change through a season for 2 points. i say that moss should have it! HE FINISHED the race in 15th. he gets points. am i the only one that thanks this is crap scoring?

i always go for the american but i want them to WIN it if they do. not be handed it by a technicality. if any championship should get an asterisk this should hands down!

thats crap! i mean really... 2 points? he hit the ground and made the best of a bad night. he finished 15th. the came back from that to win the championship. this mistake was made in round 1 and it has taken this long to find. should be a rule like nfl next rd is cut off for this. he could have went harder in a diff round to make that back up. lots of things can change through a season for 2 points. i say that moss should have it! HE FINISHED the race in 15th. he gets points. am i the only one that thanks this is crap scoring?

i always go for the american but i want them to WIN it if they do. not be handed it by a technicality. if any championship should get an asterisk this should hands down!

Im with you on that one, I think Moss got screwed out of a championship.

One: They shouldnt have given those 6 points to begin with, and Two: What kind of stupid rule is that!?

I agree that it is rediculous to go back and pull the carpet out from under Matt. The guy is thinking what points he has is correct. Who knows how the agency was made aware of this glitch. Someone was reading the rule book and noticed something... technicalilities create some of the most asinine results.

Ultimately, it's the enforcing agency's ruling to make. They would lose credibility as a strict organization if they gave it to Matt. He failed to meet a required lap count to be given points, this equates to a DNF, even if he starts and finishes the race.

However, it should be noted that the MA ruling decision is being appealed by the Suzuki guys...

- Kerry

Here's some new drama:

Oz SX: 2010 Super X Lites series champion again in doubt

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 | Posted By: Alex Gobert | Section: Breaking News | Comments: 6 | ShareThis

PJ Larsen and Matt Moss: who will be the 2010 Super X Lites Champion? Image: Sport The Library.

Uncertainty again reigns over the results of the Lites class in the 2010 Monster Energy Super X, Australasian Supercross Championship, after Motorcycling Australia this afternoon revealed that Suzuki has appealed the latest results.

It was this morning confirmed that JDR Motorex KTM’s PJ Larsen had been “officially declared” as the champion in what were announced as “final” results, however it’s now expected that the final champion won’t be determined until early in the new year.

In an astounding turn of events, the series was once again cast into jeopardy this afternoon via another announcement from MA.

“Following recent confirmation of a correction to results in the 2010 Australian Pro Lites Supercross Championship, Motorcycling Australia has received an appeal to the published results from Suzuki Australia,” the statement said.

“MA was aware of Suzuki’s intention to appeal if there was a change to the results, and as such, in accordance with the Manual of Motorcycle Sport, the results are provisional pending the outcome of the appeal process.

“The appeal process will commence immediately, however owing to the holiday period is unlikely that the situation will be resolved until the new year.”

Rockstar Motul Suzuki’s defending dual champion Matt Moss was originally crowned the champion at Brisbane’s season finale earlier this month, however he had his result for 15th place in the first final at QSAC Stadium excluded for failing to finish less than 75 percent of the race.

That meant that Moss lost his six points scored for 15th in the first of three finals on the night, handing Larsen the championship by four points in the amended results according to MA’s release this morning.

Right now two champions have been announced, with Larsen now only deemed as the provisional champion after Suzuki’s appeal.

MAX!!!

Thanks MAX. I always hoped PJ would get it.

http://superx.com.au/news/article/Announcement-from-MA-on-Pro-Lites-championship-winner/289/

A shame Matt Moss wont be going back to 450s for a while. He was so out of control on the bigger bike and very entertaining while. Jake Moss was much the same for a while, but now Jake seems to be in more of a self preservation mode.

So Moss crosses the finishline 15th but gets a DNF. But Chad Reed doesn't cross the finishline in Daytona 2008 and gets 8th. :busted::bonk::excuseme:

So Moss crosses the finishline 15th but gets a DNF. But Chad Reed doesn't cross the finishline in Daytona 2008 and gets 8th. :busted::bonk::excuseme:

Apples and oranges. Two completely different governing bodies and rule books

MAX!!!

So Moss crosses the finishline 15th but gets a DNF. But Chad Reed doesn't cross the finishline in Daytona 2008 and gets 8th. :busted::bonk::busted:

great point! the point is that he passed the finish line and didn't just pull off and say the hell with it. he was hurt got back on the bike that was not right (as it is most of the time after a crash) and finished the race in 15th. he should get the points. he tried. taking the points away is awarding not trying. making the best of a bad day can win a championship but i guess its only on this side of the world. on the other side making the best of the worst day means you will still lose the championship but hey you tried right? :excuseme:

hehe i have to say it... maybe thats why chad is ok with pulling off and crying about things. :lol:

You shouldn't change the rules retrospectively.

If the current rules say you have to finish 70% of the race to score points, that's what you have to do. If the rules are crap. Change them for NEXT year.

It's a professional sport. Players plan their strategies based on the rules. It's legitimate to say, settle for third (or whatever) rather than ride at 101% and run a much higher risk of a DNF, and no title, if third will secure it.

Everyone knows who the champ is, no one remembers if they won the last race.

It sucks for whoever comes second in this year’s Australian 250cc SuperX series. Imagine how much more it would suck to come second after a black and white rule was broken/ignored/changed retrospectively.

I wonder on what grounds Suzuki/Moss are appealing?

I remember in the late ‘70s or early ‘80s a rider deliberately rammed his rival in the last race of the season. He admitted he did it to win the title The other guy was leading (The rammer was ready and recovered quickest for the win) The winner claimed everyone would remember the Champ, not how he won it.

I vowed I’d remember. (But haven’t) I think it might have been Heikki Mikkola (Rammer/Champ)/Brad Lackey in ‘78, can anyone confirm? (My memory suggests Brad was the bad guy, might have more to do with his nickname...)

im all for enforcing the rules, but my point is they do it when the official points came out for that week. not at the end. if its that important of a rule it should have been looked at in the week following rd1. he could have made up the 6 points somewhere else or rode diff for the season. maybe it would have dnf another race or maybe he would have won it. at least he had a chance. he didn't ride at 101% to win the championship cause he didn't know he had to. not cool to change a race that was 3 months ago, especially after there is no races to make up points on. maybe they should just have a heads up race 20 laps and best man wins? or do like xgames and give out double gold (playing that was crap!)

Wait so did every1 behind Moss in 15th get DNF'ed too? Cause there is no way they could have done more laps than him, right?

great point! the point is that he passed the finish line and didn't just pull off and say the hell with it. he was hurt got back on the bike that was not right (as it is most of the time after a crash) and finished the race in 15th. he should get the points. he tried. taking the points away is awarding not trying. making the best of a bad day can win a championship but i guess its only on this side of the world. on the other side making the best of the worst day means you will still lose the championship but hey you tried right? :excuseme:

hehe i have to say it... maybe thats why chad is ok with pulling off and crying about things. :busted:

I laugh at anyone who even attempts to talk shit on Chad for the Daytona 2008 race.

Watch this:

I'd like to see anyone push a 250lb pig through mud thats a foot deep (or worse)... If Reed had even managed to get the bike to the finish line he sure as hell wasn't going to get it over the jump. It would have been physically IMPOSSIBLE for any man, I dont care who you are.

The real "winner" of the Daytona race in '08 was Reed. He made the field look like novices.

reed.jpg