More powerful complete X

I ride a lot of single track and do a lot of hill climbing. I'm on an 06 450x. As far as single tracking goes I have no complaints . . . the bike could be lighter.

Hills are a different story. I'm looking for more power to get up the hills in jawbone and other hills like them. The riders that are making those hills on four stroke, green sticker bikes, are all riding modified bikes. Mostly big bore ktm's, 520s, 530s bored to 570, 580, 610 or whatever. Higher capacity carbs.....

What mods can I make to my X, that will put it the class of these other machines, while keeping it a good single tracker as well as reliable?

I'm all ears gentlemen.

Since we have no idea what state of tune your bike is in right now, it would be difficult to suggest much of anything. Stock it's a dog. Uncorked it's a fast Pig.

Oh, and there are plenty of bikes slower than the X getting to the top of any hill at Jawbone.

I think what you are saying is you want to make it easier to get to the top of the hills at Jawbone!

Fully uncork, '02 R cam, ASR headwork, proper jetting, and you'll do it all.

I personally don't like the way the 'big-bore' bikes run. Vibration, rev-limiting, harder starting, can be issues.

All the bikes you mention have a longer stroke than the X. Could be something to do with it. A friend of mine added a flywheel weight to his X, made it much easier to ride slow. Just a different muffler and rejet makes a huge difference with the X.

you can do a fair bit ,done a few to mine browse my gararge any questions just ask

Just the JD kit, airbox mods and a different(Q4) muffler with a good tire with correct air pressure for what your doing, and proper throttle twisting should get the job done

Since we have no idea what state of tune your bike is in right now, it would be difficult to suggest much of anything. Stock it's a dog. Uncorked it's a fast Pig.

Oh, and there are plenty of bikes slower than the X getting to the top of any hill at Jawbone.

I think what you are saying is you want to make it easier to get to the top of the hills at Jawbone!

Fully uncork, '02 R cam, ASR headwork, proper jetting, and you'll do it all.

I personally don't like the way the 'big-bore' bikes run. Vibration, rev-limiting, harder starting, can be issues.

+1 :thumbsup:

My x has had the airbox mod, jd jet kit, and exhaust uncorked. I run an irc 140 rear tire. Aftermarket exhaust needs to be addressed as well. I was thinking about a hot cams stage one. Have any of you installed a big bore kit?

Quickest and easiest performance mod you can do is swap out the cam. I put in the Hotcams Stage 1 and it has considerably more bottom-end torque than stock. It's a tractor climbing up hills now.

Riding up hills such as in the Jawbone area has as much to do with skill as it does power. The more power you put on the bike, just means you have to be more careful about throttle control. Highly talented riders (that excludes me) can probably make it to the top of most hillclimbs in the Jawbone area on a stock 450x.

I'm still new to the 450x, but I'm coming off a CR 500, and I haven't been wanting for more HP. Once you get the jetting dialed in on the 450x and have crisp throttle response, spending money on suspension is probably a more important mod than adding power.

Im running a 490 big bore kit with stage 1 hotcam plus all other "uncorking" mods. My goal was to try and get my X to pull up hills like my 650. The X is now a wicked hill climb machine, pulls hard all the way to the top and still looking for more. Then I ride home it also street legal. :thumbsup: I believe my X is now at a point where rider skill is the limiting factor and not the power. :blah:

Riding up hills such as in the Jawbone area has as much to do with skill as it does power. The more power you put on the bike, just means you have to be more careful about throttle control. Highly talented riders (that excludes me) can probably make it to the top of most hillclimbs in the Jawbone area on a stock 450x.

I'm still new to the 450x, but I'm coming off a CR 500, and I haven't been wanting for more HP. Once you get the jetting dialed in on the 450x and have crisp throttle response, spending money on suspension is probably a more important mod than adding power.

+1 to that! I also have an '06 450x, very little in the way of motor mods, and have climbed most of the big hills in jawbone- I have yet to have this bike let me down on anything I've attempted. The main lines on Horny Toad and the hills in that vacinity it should all be do-able on a properly running X & a 200 lb rider aboard. Nearly all of my mods (atleast the expensive ones) have been in suspension & handling and I couldn't be happier with that decision. :thumbsup:

+1 to that! I also have an '06 450x, very little in the way of motor mods, and have climbed most of the big hills in jawbone- I have yet to have this bike let me down on anything I've attempted. The main lines on Horny Toad and the hills in that vacinity it should all be do-able on a properly running X & a 200 lb rider aboard. Nearly all of my mods (atleast the expensive ones) have been in suspension & handling and I couldn't be happier with that decision. :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more about the mods....I don't know anything about Jawbone and can't comment on that (but I've seen vids of some of the climbs there). Suspension, ergos and controls are where it is bang for the buck. A dialed in stock 450X motor is no slouch. In fact, the tuned motor in stock form is deceptive. I liked the '02 R cam with a 13.5:1 JE piston 50/50 race gas and an MRD header and muffler or FMF Powerbomb and Powercore4. Those exhausts really woke up my 450X (and 450R) and simply turned the X into a fire breathing beast....Truth is I need/needed none of it instead I should have learned to ride the X to 100% of its potential....but I can never never well enough alone:banghead::blah::ride::bonk: Oh...forget to mention the Powercore mufflers with SA are $160 and an optional 94dB insert is available. Merry Christmas!

Where can I get a Powercore for $160?? I like the sound of that!!!

I couldn't agree more about the mods....I don't know anything about Jawbone and can't comment on that (but I've seen vids of some of the climbs there). Suspension, ergos and controls are where it is bang for the buck. A dialed in stock 450X motor is no slouch. In fact, the tuned motor in stock form is deceptive. I liked the '02 R cam with a 13.5:1 JE piston 50/50 race gas and an MRD header and muffler or FMF Powerbomb and Powercore4. Those exhausts really woke up my 450X (and 450R) and simply turned the X into a fire breathing beast....Truth is I need/needed none of it instead I should have learned to ride the X to 100% of its potential....but I can never never well enough alone:banghead::thumbsup::blah::ride: Oh...forget to mention the Powercore mufflers with SA are $160 and an optional 94dB insert is available. Merry Christmas!
I couldn't agree more about the mods....I don't know anything about Jawbone and can't comment on that (but I've seen vids of some of the climbs there). Suspension, ergos and controls are where it is bang for the buck. A dialed in stock 450X motor is no slouch. In fact, the tuned motor in stock form is deceptive. I liked the '02 R cam with a 13.5:1 JE piston 50/50 race gas and an MRD header and muffler or FMF Powerbomb and Powercore4. Those exhausts really woke up my 450X (and 450R) and simply turned the X into a fire breathing beast....Truth is I need/needed none of it instead I should have learned to ride the X to 100% of its potential....but I can never never well enough alone:banghead::thumbsup::blah::ride: Oh...forget to mention the Powercore mufflers with SA are $160 and an optional 94dB insert is available. Merry Christmas!

Same here. I spent a lot of money making my CR500 faster, only to not use any of it's available power. Outside of the rejet, I'm leaving my 450X stock and learning how to ride it better.

I have a different approach... I opened the airbox, installed an FMF Q slip-on, JD kit... and a Stage 2 Hot Cam.

For technical AA singletrack it does not hit, it runs like an electric motor. I ride it in the low to mid range and it is alot easier to control, more accurate, and is less fatiguing. It is really wide and smooth down there.

If I wanna haul ***, such as starts or wide open stuff, I simply ride it in the mid to top end range and it will flat smoke a torquey cammed X motor (had one, HC Stage 1) or a stock 450R (have one). I haven't owned an FI 450R yet, so I can't say.

So far I'm chicken to race my R in the GP's cuz I don't wanna lose in the fast stuff.

Hot Cams Stage 2: Try it, you'll like it.

Im running a 490 big bore kit with stage 1 hotcam plus all other "uncorking" mods. My goal was to try and get my X to pull up hills like my 650. The X is now a wicked hill climb machine, pulls hard all the way to the top and still looking for more. Then I ride home it also street legal. :thumbsup: I believe my X is now at a point where rider skill is the limiting factor and not the power. :blah:

Good stuff. I have a few questions: What big bore kit did you install and how was the fit and finish? How is the reliability and maintenance? Do you ride your your X in a lot of sand?

It would seem from the above responses, that changing cams would be the first logical step. So, who's got what cam and how does that cam effect performance along with reliability and maintenance. . .

Same here. I spent a lot of money making my CR500 faster, only to not use any of it's available power. Outside of the rejet, I'm leaving my 450X stock and learning how to ride it better.

really? I havent had a day on my X yet that I didnt want more power... Im sure it happens at some point, just wish I had the money & time to find out when that is...

really? I havent had a day on my X yet that I didnt want more power... Im sure it happens at some point, just wish I had the money & time to find out when that is...

Have you jetted it so that it runs properly? And what kind of terrain are you riding it on? Dunes, a drag strip or a gnarly hill climb are about the only places where I could see more power being desireable.. for me, if I'm wishing for more power, I'm also wishing for a terrain change.

Sorry I didnt read the new "rules" about having to be a nancy.

I bet you cannt name a single ride (not hillclimb or dune) that a 250 also couldnt make... yet your on the 450 forum?

I dont care what kind of goat trail your on, there is a trail to and from it... and yes every single ride I have been on I have wanted more power at some point.

For me the fun factor is in the beast comming alive