Sign in to follow this  

450x cam swap with 450r

I have a 2006 450x and I heard if you swap a 450r cam it makes a difference in the low to mid. Is it a simple swap or do I have to mess with the springs or anything? Does any know about the pink wire mod?

Hundreds and hundreds of posts on this subject. Read the sticky's at the top of the forum. Every year of R cam has a different profile and power band.

A cam is the LAST thing you should do to an X, after uncorking, jetting, suspension and ergo upgrades.

I was wondering if i have to do anything to the motor or is it a simple swap. I already have a cut air box, smog kit, and exhaust on it. Im going to try the pink wire mod thats supposed to give it the "mapping or the R" I think is higher rev or something

I was wondering if i have to do anything to the motor or is it a simple swap. I already have a cut air box, smog kit, and exhaust on it. Im going to try the pink wire mod thats supposed to give it the "mapping or the R" I think is higher rev or something

1. Open engine

2. Remove X cam

3. Insert R cam

4. Close engine

5. Do pink wire mod (really not necessary, but I did)

6. Ride, enjoy new found power, particularly mid-range and top-end

The 02 R cam is the best IMO. I researched this about a year ago and it flat out rips. I remember a post that started "Cam again" something like that. The post detailed Hot cams, Honda cams and really had a nice discription of what it was after. I was really happy with the 02'. Good luck

what year was your 450x. Mine is a 2009 with a decompression bump - the 02 450r cam does not have one.

is there any issue with starting?-

This is urgent - my bike is at the shop as we speak !

what year was your 450x. Mine is a 2009 with a decompression bump - the 02 450r cam does not have one.

Pretty sure you'll have to swap the old style cam carrier over along with the old style cam.

There were some posts about using the new style cam from an 09+ R over to our 08+ X's without having to mess with the carriers (I could have my years off).

No idea on the power curves of the newer R cams though.

Don't bother with the '02R cam then, just get an '07R cam. I just put it in my '06 450x... I did change the carrier too! But you won't need to. It's a very easy swap. Just be careful when taking off your cam gear. Make sure you put the decomp shaft and pin back in correctly!

Don't bother with the '02R cam then, just get an '07R cam. I just put it in my '06 450x... I did change the carrier too! But you won't need to. It's a very easy swap. Just be careful when taking off your cam gear. Make sure you put the decomp shaft and pin back in correctly!

FWIW, I like the '07 R cam every bit as much as the '02 R cam:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a 2006 450x and I heard if you swap a 450r cam it makes a difference in the low to mid. Is it a simple swap or do I have to mess with the springs or anything? Does any know about the pink wire mod?

I have an '05R cam for sale in perfect condition, if you are interested. Works just as nice as the '02R cam but idles much better, plenty of power in the low to mid.

Here's the Ad.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=68958&cat=500

Don't do the Pink Wire MOD until you swap out the cam, It won't do anything with the 450X cam in.

Edited by crazybrother
add text

I have the 02R cam in my 05X/SM, nice improvement from stock. I've been running it for half a year and have no complaints.

I have the 02R cam in my 05X/SM, nice improvement from stock. I've been running it for half a year and have no complaints.

Have you ony change the cam with R or you do too some jets upgrade?

1. Open engine

2. Remove X cam

3. Insert R cam

4. Close engine

5. Do pink wire mod (really not necessary, but I did)

6. Ride, enjoy new found power, particularly mid-range and top-end

Cam may need to be shimmed correctly if a new cam is put in.  You'll have to check your manual on specs.

Do you have any recommendations for a cam swap in my 2006 crf450X. One that will be a nice direct replacement without any other mods or adjustments. I hear the R cams are good but the 02 has issues with the compression mechanism. I want something that is a direct bolt in without any issues or gotchyas.

Thanks

Do you have any recommendations for a cam swap in my 2006 crf450X. One that will be a nice direct replacement without any other mods or adjustments. I hear the R cams are good but the 02 has issues with the compression mechanism. I want something that is a direct bolt in without any issues or gotchyas.

Thanks

There's no issue with the 02 and the decomp...it's a drop in.