Why no stock passenger pegs?

Dear TT’ers and DR-Z owners, I have a question which I finally decided to ask on here. WHY DOES THE DRZ400E NOT HAVE PASSENGER PEGS??? I intend on buying a road and trail bike soon, and it was and sort of still is between a ttr250, klx250s and the drz400e, and the ttr and klx both have passenger pegs stock and that’s a bonus and plus for me because i intend on carrying friends and girls lol one day, but the engine capacity (250cc's only) is a turn off for the ttr and klx, and the drz400e is Australia’s number 1 dirt bike and has 400cc's so much closer to my old bike crf450r.

So I want to know why is there no passenger pegs stock on a new drz400e, and also, considering aftermarket, how much do they cost to buy and where do u put them cause I am guessing the only reason Suzuki doesn’t place them on there from stock is because there is no where to put them?

Thanks

:thumbsup:

Get a DRZ-S, it has the pegs and is steet legal.

The E DRZ is more dirt oriented that the other two you mention.

Get a DRZ-S, it has the pegs and is steet legal.

The E DRZ is more dirt oriented that the other two you mention.

iwould but i believe it is more expensive i could be wrong?

and i intend on doin more off road but not sure yet

Can't have it all man. Got to decide what's more important to you.

If the manufacturer doesn't advertise and equip the bike from the start to be 2-people-capable, they won't put them on.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the bike has a sticker or the words embossed on the seat cover saying:

NO PASSENGER.

Suzuki considers the 400E a pure off-road.

In Italy such model is imported by Mr. Valenti (WWW.VALENTIRACING.IT) and he adds lights, turn signals, mirrors and passenger pegs.

Same things he does for the RMX450...

I had 4 DRZ400E and I often carried my girlfriend, even off road with zero problem.

My girfriend weights 65 kg.

Once I carried a collegue of mine for few hundreds meters, he is 90 kgs, I thought I was driving a chopper... :thumbsup:

suzuki considers the 400e a pure off-road.

In italy such model is imported by mr. Valenti (www.valentiracing.it) and he adds lights, turn signals, mirrors and passenger pegs.

Same things he does for the rmx450...

I had 4 drz400e and i often carried my girlfriend, even off road with zero problem.

My girfriend weights 65 kg.

Once i carried a collegue of mine for few hundreds meters, he is 90 kgs, i thought i was driving a chopper... :thumbsup:

^^^hahaha

Apparently you will need an engineers certificate ($$) to change from 1 seater rego to 2 seater. Something to keep in mind.

Once I carried a collegue of mine for few hundreds meters, he is 90 kgs, I thought I was driving a chopper... :ride:

lolololololol man :bonk::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::blah:

Depending on your "E" spec.....the "E" will be the better bike (Cams, carb, etc).

As mentioned...the "E" is an offroad model, so hence the lack off passenger pegs. I bet you could swap the "E" sub for a "S" subframe netting you passenger pegs. You'd have the lighter "E" sub in hand should you ever want to swap back.....

I bet you could swap the "E" sub for a "S" subframe netting you passenger pegs. You'd have the lighter "E" sub in hand should you ever want to swap back.....

I think herein may be the key....isn't the E subframe lighter and not as strong and therefore not suitable/safe for 2-up riding? I thought I'd read someplace that you can't use the E sub for 2-up and have to swap it out for an S sub....so I'd go w/ this fellas recommendation to have both options.

The S subframe weighs a little more. the added weight is the aluminum "U" shaped extention under the fender to support the massive tail on the "S" and "SM" and the helmet lock. The "E" fender will need to be cut to fit the "S" Sub. None of the cuts are noticable once on the bike.

I have a S sub on my E for passengers and I want to add a rack.

Oh Yeah! the mid pipe mounting hole will not line up if I remember correct.

Doesn't the Aussie model E have the same sub frame as the US model S/SM?

Doesn't the Aussie model E have the same sub frame as the US model S/SM?

Yes it does.

As i have been discovering, the aussie "E" model, is a mash up of the "E" and "S" model.

Basicly, its all the good bits from an "E", put into an "S"

so its more like an "SE"

:smirk:The hauling part of your question is allright. Rule #1 never be seen with a dude on the back of your bike, unless you are hauling him out of the woods with a broken leg.

Like said many times before, it's the difference in subframes (and therefore lack of support for a passenger).

I'm not going to dissuade you of anything, but take if from a guy that's done a real dual sport ride (150 miles, 90 dirt) with my girlfriend on the bike- tell the chicks to get their own bikes. Unless you're just tooling around town for less then 50 miles, then it's fine.

The only reason me and my girlfriend can ride two up on the drz is because we're both skinny (I'm 135 and she's 115). If we both weighed over 150 it just wouldn't be possible to stand more then 10 minutes. It helps that we're comfortable with each other too.. I would never let a dude on the back unless it was a dire emergency , WAY to close for comfort! The same goes for anybody that you're not comfortable with.. the drz is top heavy enough without another 100+ pounds of weight on the very top.

i have the r that i turned street legal. i had the same problem when it came time for a passenger. i found my options were slim but i found out that the drz subframe will bolt on with no problems except when i did it i could not find one because they were still new bikes. instead i added dez pegs to my r subframe ,i had to make some steel plates for strength,its still not as strong but i has not had a problem riding my daughter or wife on the back even through the rough woods.

dont know about the rules in Australia but here in the UK you can have your bike still registered to go on the road without indicators if you dont have pillion pegs fitted. Still need headlight, brake light and horn though.

I own A Drz400e and have seen bolt on pegs for this model just google the pegs and try welding if needed or be one yourself,it's tough enough with just one person riding it although...

i cut mine off the sm why would you want passenger pegs to much for the bike