Cycle World tests TE449

I received my January issue of Cycle World yesterday. They wrote a review of the TE449. They were not very impressed. I've been putting off buying a TE for three years now. I thought the TE449 was the answer. Almost makes me want to pick up a leftover TE450. :thumbsup:

Anybody read the test? Do you suppose the problems they mentioned can be fixed with a little tweaking?

Chuck

I received my January issue of Cycle World yesterday. They wrote a review of the TE449. They were not very impressed. I've been putting off buying a TE for three years now. I thought the TE449 was the answer. Almost makes me want to pick up a leftover TE450. :thumbsup:

Anybody read the test? Do you suppose the problems they mentioned can be fixed with a little tweaking?

Chuck

Have not seen it, what did they not like?

It was just a ride impression not a full test. They said it felt heavy and handled similar to a Honda XR 650. They liked the previous 450 better.

I should have brought the article to work and pasted it here. Sorry. As I recall, they said it pushed pretty bad and felt heavy. Suspension was real stiff. Bounced around a lot. Said it handled ok for a dual-purpose bike but not so much for an enduro racer.

I'm certain they TE can be tuned to any use you'd like, however I can't wait to weigh on on the same scale with a G450X, I'm pretty sure the HSQ will be a tad heavier unfortunately.

Yeah, not real good. They liked the motor but said it did not turn well. Hope that can be dialed out with some setup.

Yeah first rides are good to get a little info on a bike but you really never know until time is spent setting a bike up properly.

You can tune suspensions, and take a file to sharp edges on plastic, and buy a softer seat, and with enough cubic Euros/Dollars/Pounds, make the bike a bit lighter. But you can't fix this:

"To ease sprocket changes, the TE449’s version uses two separate swingarm spindles instead of the BMW’s one; but that, combined with engine width, spreads the rider’s legs farther apart than on typical enduros."

Here's a pic of my son on his 2010 TE510... wonder if the 2011's would fit?

http://dirtfocus.com/photos2010/12-04_tecate/loop1b/l1tecatetjimg_9051.html

I remember reading this prediction...

"the maintenance of the Husky is cumbersome."

Heck, I remember WRITING it!

So this is the same platform being used for the TC 449? I will be interested to see what a magazine like MXA says about the bike if they can get a test unit.

I remember reading this prediction...

"the maintenance of the Husky is cumbersome."

Heck, I remember WRITING it!

you also spouted lots of other random crap like the motor would suck and everyone says it rules. Also if the filter takes 2 minutes more to change but stays clean twice as long your wrong in your assessment it takes more time. I think you went on and on about the centric CS which seems to be working great for most and reports of stellar stability and tracking in the nasties. Did you care to comment on the test where is tied the Berg and was just shy of the KTM on a first year effort or do you reserve you comments only for negativity?

Chuck

That's old news from the press introduction back in October on preproduction test mules: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9871731&postcount=78

This is the most recent test done this month and the Husqvarna TE449 tied for second place against the Husaburg FE450: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941097

Oh Man! I've been reading this forum for three years and finally decided to post something. It seems all I accomplished was to add more fuel to jjm525's fire. Am I banned now? :thumbsup:

Oh Man! I've been reading this forum for three years and finally decided to post something. It seems all I accomplished was to add more fuel to jjm525's fire. Am I banned now? :blah:

you are good, post away. :thumbsup:

Oh Man! I've been reading this forum for three years and finally decided to post something. It seems all I accomplished was to add more fuel to jjm525's fire. Am I banned now? :blah:

Why would you be banned? I was just responding that the CycleNews story was based on the Italian Press launch and not an actual real test like the one in the German publication.

No problem post away. :thumbsup:

I have never felt that the press (and many riders whom have never even ridden the bike) were being fair to the BMW G450x. It has to be one of the most underrated bikes out there. it is VERY different, it has a lot of cool features, and a few not so great ones too ( In my opinion).

I have put over 1,000 km and completed four tough cross country races on a 2010 G450x, it has been a great bike. one race had a deep river crossing, the high airbox allowed it to cross when many others watered out. I raced a GP event with a good MX section, as long as you hit the proper landing downslopes, it worked fine, even on big air (that race was a blast, everyone was watching the BMW fly). It regularly makes hill climbs other bikes do not, it has amazing traction and hook up, I often pass stuck riders.

The bike is very easy to ride, super friendly power. great brakes, easy electric starting. I have 5 buddies that race them, all are A level riders, they are all holding up fine. The warranty has covered any breakages (any other bikes offer that?). They feel lighter than they are, hook up is amazing. And they are street legal....

One of the mags ( think it was Dirt Bike) ran one against a KTM 450, they said the bikes were similar, each had small pluses and minuses. I felt that assessment was the best and most accurate I had seen yet. Most like to slam the bike.... even when they have never ridden it??? Recently Dirt rider said it was better out of the crate than the KTM 450EXC or Last generation Husky.

The new Husky should be the next step in the evolution of the BMW design. I think it will be a good bike, like every bike it will be better at some things and not as good at others. Lets all be a little open minded here. Let the bike arrive, learn how to set it up and give it an honest evaluation before we take it out back and shoot it.

If we always hammer every builder that makes something different, we will stop innovation. No one will want to risk new designs and new ideas, we will keep getting the same old stuff....

i am a little tired of the same old same, lets have some new ideas please. Maybe it will change the sport forever for the better. (someone had to be first with all the stuff we take for granted now...)

think yo need to take all these shootouts with a grain or two of salt...hell KTM didnt start getting decent reviews until just recently...to me it sounds more like some suspension setup time is needed...but not to many bikes dont need it...and he sharp edges I think are the humps in the fender around the fuel cap...and that is knit picking....hard seat dont bother me...

I have never felt that the press (and many riders whom have never even ridden the bike) were being fair to the BMW G450x. It has to be one of the most underrated bikes out there. it is VERY different, it has a lot of cool features, and a few not so great ones too ( In my opinion).

I have put over 1,000 km and completed four tough cross country races on a 2010 G450x, it has been a great bike. one race had a deep river crossing, the high airbox allowed it to cross when many others watered out. I raced a GP event with a good MX section, as long as you hit the proper landing downslopes, it worked fine, even on big air (that race was a blast, everyone was watching the BMW fly). It regularly makes hill climbs other bikes do not, it has amazing traction and hook up, I often pass stuck riders.

The bike is very easy to ride, super friendly power. great brakes, easy electric starting. I have 5 buddies that race them, all are A level riders, they are all holding up fine. The warranty has covered any breakages (any other bikes offer that?). They feel lighter than they are, hook up is amazing. And they are street legal....

One of the mags ( think it was Dirt Bike) ran one against a KTM 450, they said the bikes were similar, each had small pluses and minuses. I felt that assessment was the best and most accurate I had seen yet. Most like to slam the bike.... even when they have never ridden it??? Recently Dirt rider said it was better out of the crate than the KTM 450EXC or Last generation Husky.

The new Husky should be the next step in the evolution of the BMW design. I think it will be a good bike, like every bike it will be better at some things and not as good at others. Lets all be a little open minded here. Let the bike arrive, learn how to set it up and give it an honest evaluation before we take it out back and shoot it.

If we always hammer every builder that makes something different, we will stop innovation. No one will want to risk new designs and new ideas, we will keep getting the same old stuff....

i am a little tired of the same old same, lets have some new ideas please. Maybe it will change the sport forever for the better. (someone had to be first with all the stuff we take for granted now...)

Excellent post for a real world prospective. Thanks.

Thanks 'Ride' and 'Husky Rips' for your show of support. I feel vindicated. :thumbsup:

My two sons (ages 16 and 19) have Yamaha WR250R's. I want to join them off-roading. I won't be doing any enduro racing so if this TE449 falls more into the dual-purpose category, it might be perfect for me.