Just picked up an '05 230

Hey guys, we just picked up an '05 CRF230 for my Dad yesterday and I figured I'd chime in here to get the low down. Basically looking for any mods, advice, things to look out for, that kind of thing.

A little info on my Dad, he's an old racer that had some skills back in the day, but his time in the saddle now is about 2 rides a year. He's lost a lot of his confidence and doesn't ride very fast. He's been riding a lowered DRZ400, but it's just not working out. He's never felt comfortable on it and it's too heavy, and top heavy, for him. He's 74 now, has one replaced hip and the other just worn out and a bad right knee. It's time for a more simple bike for him so he can just play ride.

The bike we bought is very clean, but I only have an approximation on hours from the guy we bought it from. He's claiming about 20 hours, it looks like that could be legit. He enriched the carb tune, swapped out the skid plate for a Works Connection and put on hand guards, other than that the bike is bone stock all the way down to the original tires. It's had two previous owners that both used it as a Wife's bike, hence the reason it was never ridden. lol!!

My plan of action is new tires and I have to do something with the suspension for my Dad's weight, he's about 240-250 pounds, and I want to get rid of the stock bars. I don't have any other plans unless you guys can tell me some things that really should be done.

I was wondering about bar height, the stock ones seem a bit low, do most people go to a higher bar? They seem OK, but compared to my bikes they look very low.

I was also wondering about the success people are having with just swapping out springs on the suspension. Is it fine if you're not hammering trails or the desert? Or is it necessary to get the valving redone even for low speed easy riding? Since we're making such a big jump in spring rate, I'm a little worried about the suspension valving being too soft. I contacted Hlebo Bros. and it would be $575 to totally rework the front and rear. Is it worth it, or could I get away with just springs?

The only other concern I have is long term enjoyment for my Dad with such a lesser bike than he's had. I know this is a starter bike and the power is limited. With out breaking the bank, is there mods that can be done over time to keep the bike interesting? I know I can get a pipe, and probably a cam, but is there a significant grin factor pay off to the various parts available for the CRF230, or is it just spending money for a little gain.

Thanks for any help.

Sure, you are on the right track with your suspension advice. If you've got the money for it, that would be an awesome addition.

My son bent the handlebars on our 230 in short order, and we installed some $65 ProTaper Cr-Hi rise handlebars. They are a little taller and have less sweep, making the bike less crowded, and a lot more comfortable.

For a 74 year old... just make the bike as comfortable as possible, and don't try to coax him into doing anything too dangerous, as at that age... a person gets hurt a LOT easier, and healing time is forever.

It will be an awesome play bike. I think he'll love it!

You can install stiffer springs into the stock forks, but it might be too much for his wrists. A stiffer spring in the rear will also be too much for the stock shock. For a young kid, I might recommend keeping the suspension all stock, except for one BBR spring in the forks, but for a guy that age, you need to make it plush. Bite the bullet and take it where you have planned. They have an excellent reputation with these bikes.

Good Luck!

Greetings...

I put renthal rc highbend bars on my 230. I also run bbr springs on forks and monoshock. For his weight, he might be ok with the stiffness. I wish you could try it before you install them, but I like mine. If money isnt an issue, have the suspension reworked.

As far as the fun factor, have him ride it and if he needs more power there is a million forums on mods. I installed the factory power up kit and a 14 tooth c/s sprocket and am pretty happy with the bike. I'm pushing 40 and weigh about 220 so I'm a fairly casual rider myself.

check the jetting that has been installed. I've used coeshow's recommended jetting and has really made the bike a blast to ride vs stock vs Honda recommended power up mods.

120 main, stock needle in the 4th clip position, 45 pilot. remove intake snorkel/baffles and exhaust baffle (leave the spark arrestor in).

I use works shocks on both my crfs and emulators in the forks. good start to making the bike a lot easier to ride.

yes, replace those stock, junky tires... they are just plain dangerous.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Did some shopping already. We have new tires and tubes on the way. I got some Maxxis IT's, those should work all around for anywhere this bike will go. I have a left over set of Pro Tapers, so we got a set of adapters, grips and a bar pad coming. The adapters should give us the extra height we need.

I called my suspension guy and it turns out he's familiar with the CRF's and can get it done in a few days. He'll be doing emulators in the front and new springs front and rear. After some ride time, we'll see if he needs to do anything with the rear shock.

We're taking the forks and shock over tomorrow and the parts are on the way, we should have everything by this weekend. ?

kkim, I'll dig in to the carb and check it out. I do know it ran better than any other we looked at. I still need to un-plug it though, so might have to make some changes.

The 05 doesn't have clips on the carb's needle. You'll have to use a #4 washer or something to space the needle. If you need to adjust the idle mixture knob on the bottom front of the carb, you'll need a special tool, as it's not a screwdriver slot, it's D-shaped.

I also used the #120 main instead of the #134 that comes with the power-up kits. Works GREAT.

I changed the idle jet, added a washer to the needle, but didn't mess with the idle screw yet.

Changing the stock main (#105, maybe?) for the #120 made the biggest difference.

Good Luck!

Well, got my handle bar parts in, and just realized either the previous owner hacked a lot off the end of the throttle tube when he put the hand guards on, or these bikes have short throttle tubes. I can get an OEM tube tomorrow at the dealer, but would like to know if they are a standard grip length. It comes with a grip molded on I'll have to cut off. I've seen after market tubes with no grip and they look long enough for a standard grip, but I'd have to order and wait.

Any one familiar with the stock tube?

Is it long enough for a replacement grip?

Yeah stock throttle tube is full length

however, whatever you do, make sure your throttle tube doesn't stick off the end of the bar!

If you don't run bark busters, when you drop the bike, the throttle tube will jam/break really easy.

I always cut the ends off mine and moved them up the bar about 1/8" that way when I crash they don't get destroyed. Running stock tube on my 150f after 4 years ?

at least that's how I do it. Before I did this, I'd ruin a throttle tube fast. Now I have yet to ruin a throttle tube sine I started doing that.

I even purchased a billet one for my crf 50 once, took me two weeks to bend it and have it stick and be ruined!

The only other concern I have is long term enjoyment for my Dad with such a lesser bike than he's had. I know this is a starter bike and the power is limited. With out breaking the bank, is there mods that can be done over time to keep the bike interesting? I know I can get a pipe, and probably a cam, but is there a significant grin factor pay off to the various parts available for the CRF230, or is it just spending money for a little gain.

To address your power concerns, there is always more available for those with the $$. Check out Coeshow's bored crf"250". http://www.coeshow.com/_mgxroot/page_10761.html - That thing probably makes more power than the stock crf250 mxer. Food for thought ?

Just to update, the stock throttle tube was short. I hollowed out the end and let the excess grip sit over the bar. The after market grip was about 3/8" to 1/2" longer than the tube.

Maybe other years have longer tubes? I don't know, but I got it to work, it's all good. Next time I'll get an after market throttle tube.