Sign in to follow this  

need to know reliability of 514 stroked kx450

hey guys newbie here,hoping you can help me out alittle....im looking at a 07 kxf450 that has been stroked and bored to 514cc.it appears to have benn done right,not alot of overbore stroker crank,head work ect.the bike looks flawless but what i am really concerned about is the longevity of something like this??am i going to be into this thing non stop or are they pretty reliable.i ride my own moto-x track some trail rides and some dune trips,but when i ride i do so very aggressively so reliability is a must..thank for looking

Who did the work? i would assume a motor like that would be good for 20 to 40 hours before the crank goes out. Depends alot on how its ridden.

well after talking to him again,i think his calculations were off,its a 95mm big bore and a 3mm stroker crank,which doing the math comes out to 461cc,not sure where he got the 514 from.i can get the bike for a steal,even if it was just a low hour 07 it would be worth what i can get it for

chances are its a deal cause its time for a rebuild..... click click click ... boom

Actually, that is a 471cc engine now. If the person that put it together knew what they were doing then the reliability shouldn't be horrible.

chances are its a deal cause its time for a rebuild..... click click click ... boom

it is the owner of a shops personal bike,he said he i can bring a bore-o-scope to look down the cylinder with and still see lack of any carbon and crosshatching that looks like a fresh bore.

i thimk it may be such a good deal do to the time of year and the economy,no-one is really looking for a dirt bike right now,especially in the mid west,and it is a buyers market

Actually, that is a 471cc engine now. If the person that put it together knew what they were doing then the reliability shouldn't be horrible.

all teh calculators i used showed it to be a 461,but that is neither here nor there,seems like a good deal,gonna go look at it this friday and take it for a ride,ill get pics and post them if i get it.thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it:thumbsup:

You might want to find out what is actually in it. I just looked it up and the 07 KX450F came with a 96mm bore, so I don't think he has a 95mm big bore in it. If he kept the bore stock (at 96mm) and put in a +3mm crank the final displacement is 471cc. If the guy really doesn't know what is in it, I would walk away personally. I don't trust bikes that have major modifications done to them and the owner can't tell you what they really are.

You might want to find out what is actually in it. I just looked it up and the 07 KX450F came with a 96mm bore, so I don't think he has a 95mm big bore in it. If he kept the bore stock (at 96mm) and put in a +3mm crank the final displacement is 471cc. If the guy really doesn't know what is in it, I would walk away personally. I don't trust bikes that have major modifications done to them and the owner can't tell you what they really are.

i think you may be on to something,besides that i just got a call back on 06 kx450,53 year old man,rode it 4 times too much bike for $1900 any thoughts

I'd go look at that 06. If he only road it four times, you would be able to tell.

i think you may be on to something,besides that i just got a call back on 06 kx450,53 year old man,rode it 4 times too much bike for $1900 any thoughts

If you aren't going to look at it, I will!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

'06 is only a 4-speed kinda sucks for anything but moto

thats what concerns me,i will be doing alot of long trail rides,sveral hundred miles in a weekend not sure a 4 speed would be conducive to that?????also the guy with the built 07 sweetened up the deal,he is going to throw in all the stock parts as well,jug,piston,crank,sprokets,and the complete set of plastics that were on teh bike for 2 rides before they were removed,all for $2500,i almost cant go wrong with that

its a better deal did you end up going with it? you dont want the 06 for long trail rides

its a better deal did you end up going with it? you dont want the 06 for long trail rides

actually i ended up not getting either of themand got an 07 yz450f,supre low hours and came with over $1500 in extras,plus had a full FMF Ti exhaust for $2600,super happy with it,runs like a raped ape:ride:

hmm they are good bikes it would be my second choice after kawi for sure just for reliability sake, but if you think that thing runs like a raped ape you shoulda rode that 07 kx450

• Like 1