Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Nevada MRAN Boulder City MC GP Ride Report

Recommended Posts

Jim Herrero Race Report

#13 Open Amatuer

MRAN GP at Boulder City MX in Boulder City, Nevada

Friday, December 3, 2010

My “race” unofficially started today, after a ride earlier in the week left me with a leaking fork seal and not all the parts to fix it. I was able to tear into the fork around 9:00 P.M. after waiting for the new seal and replacement fork oil to show up. By 10:30 P.M. the bike was assembled and by 11:00 P.M. I was off to bed for what seemed like a quick nap.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 : Race Day

Race day started at an early 3:00 A.M. I had a good breakfast (thanks Dad) and loaded the truck for a time of departure of around 4:30 A.M. After a fairly quick 90 minute drive from Kingman, AZ my father and I were at the track around 6:00 A.M. Arizona time (MST), or 5:00 A.M. Nevada Time (PST). With an hour until sign-ups and two hours until the unclassified race, I had nothing better to do than take a quick nap while waiting for sign-ups (an hour passed very quickly). After I was signed up I took some time to double check my gear and motorcycle, then relax for about 20 minutes before the unclassified race, which started at 7:00 A.M. Nevada time.

The unclassified went smooth as I just tried to memorize sections of the track and not have any wrecks as some sections were really slick this early in the morning. I was reminded of this on the first lap after a pro rider crashed right in front of me coming off the main motocross track onto the vet track. The track itself was really fun with a small pavement section, a couple tractor tires to ride over, a small hill, and a flowing overall layout. Most of the track was in great condition, butI noted that some sections would become very silty as these sections had already began to show themselves I the first few laps on the track. My bike was working very well and after the unclassified finished around 7:30 A.M. (Nevada time) I had nothing to do but change out of my practice gear and prepare my race gear and goggles. After I had everything prepared I took some time to relax and watch some of the Vet race from 8:00-9:00 A.M.

About 9:45 I headed down to the starting gate for staging when I saw a rider stopped out of the corner of my eye. As I looked closer, he was holding his chain in his hand. I approached him and saw that his chain was broke, and asked if there was anything I could do. He said he had a spare master link in his truck, and asked if I could give him a ride to get it. I said sure, and within five minutes we were back at his bike. It was very close to starting time so I left him to get to the gate, and just after he rolled up with his chain back on the bike and ready to ride. He was in the same class as me, Open Amateur ( think he was #191), so I ended up helping the competition!

Anyway, as the pro class was ready to start, I chose an inside gate and prepared myself for the start. The start was “interesting” as they didn’t have a 30 second board after the first wave (the pro riders) and I didn’t know when the gate would drop. Well, about 10 seconds later, the gate dropped and was caught a bit unprepared, but was able to salvage a top five start on the Amateur wave, consisting of both the Open and Lites classes. The first lap went quickly as I passed a few riders but got passed by one as well (#59 Open Amateur). Into the second lap I was keeping pace with #59 and was watching his lines, looking for an opportunity to pass. I noticed he would pull away from me on the motocross track and I would catch back up in the off-road sections. So, on lap three I made the pass in the off-road portion right before jumping onto the vet track, which started a 45 minute battle of back and forth passing. I’d have to say we changed positions well over fifteen times, and as I felt like I made a pass stick and would try to pull away he would come out of nowhere and pass me back! It was a very fun and intense battle and a few times we got together but were able to keep it up on two wheels. I kept telling myself he would tire out, but sure enough he would be right behind me if not trying to pass me lap after lap! This occurred up until the final two laps, where I was able to finally put some time on him and pull away to about a 30 second lead at the end. It was an awesome race and really reminded me how much fun this sport is!

Overall, this was an awesome race as my fitness was at a good level and I was happy with my performance. My start wasn’t the best and I have some things to work on, but overall it’s a great warm-up to the upcoming AMRA season!

(Results haven’t been posted yet)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this