Sign in to follow this  

new tires for selling a bike??

Is it worth puting new tires on a bike you are going to sell? The current tires are about 60%. It always looks nice as a buyer to have new meats but is it worth it as a seller?

If you can get the same amount for not having to put new tires on there than I wouldnt do it. About 70 bucks for the front and 80 for the rear, and youre not getting the money back if you could have sold it for the same price isnt worth it in my opinion. I agree it does look nicer though.

It's always easier to sell a bike when the bike has no issues. You always hear about people selling a bike saying it needs this and that but is should only cost about $150, if that's the case then fix it yourself and sell it in the shape you want to buy your next bike.

I just did this w/ my wife's 150r, changed the oil, cleaned the carb, put on a new rear tire and new grips. Still for sale :thumbsup:

MAX!!!

It depends on a number of factors:

1. How is your bike priced against the competition?

2. What is the condition of your bike compared to your competition?

3. Are you under any pressure to get the bike sold?

4. Do you know what brand and model of tires the buyer is going to want? It would be pointless to put new tires on a race / competition bike if the new owner is going to change them, anyway.

Make sure your bike is as spotless and shiny, as possible and is COMPLETELY ready to ride. Make sure your ad(s) includes excellent quality, comprehensive pictures and a full description of every aspect of the bike. Make sure that you provide sufficient contact information and be very polite, helpful, and responsive to all potential buyers.

If you can offer anything above and beyond your competition, you increase your chance of selling. (Offer to deliver it - even for a specific distance. Any riding gear, extra parts, manual, tools, etc.)

It depends on a number of factors:

1. How is your bike priced against the competition?

2. What is the condition of your bike compared to your competition?

3. Are you under any pressure to get the bike sold?

4. Do you know what brand and model of tires the buyer is going to want? It would be pointless to put new tires on a race / competition bike if the new owner is going to change them, anyway.

Make sure your bike is as spotless and shiny, as possible and is COMPLETELY ready to ride. Make sure your ad(s) includes excellent quality, comprehensive pictures and a full description of every aspect of the bike. Make sure that you provide sufficient contact information and be very polite, helpful, and responsive to all potential buyers.

If you can offer anything above and beyond your competition, you increase your chance of selling. (Offer to deliver it - even for a specific distance. Any riding gear, extra parts, manual, tools, etc.)

Exactly....I like a certain, specific tire on my steed, and will most likely change it as soon as I get home, regardless of how good the tire is on the bike.

Being your tires are 60%, I'd leave them be. Now if they were hashed down to slicks, that another story.

Like others have posted, stick with what is on there now. Just make sure the bike is clean and running.

I believe that on a dirt or off road bike....riders are more picky about which tires they like....Now on a street bike...(maybe not some of the sport bikes)....most buyers would be happy with new tires....in most cases they would ride them till they needed replaced......but for the dirt.....stick with what ya got.........good luck selling......

to me new tires say the old ones were toast... hard riding... needed changing = rider was hard on the bike... Id rather see 60% and wonder if they were originals...lol... nothing worse (to me) than an older bike with new handles, tires... perfectly clean airbox (like you know its been gone through).. I feel like what is this guy hiding? I know I know I should trust more...NOT!

to me new tires say the old ones were toast... hard riding... needed changing = rider was hard on the bike... Id rather see 60% and wonder if they were originals...lol... nothing worse (to me) than an older bike with new handles, tires... perfectly clean airbox (like you know its been gone through).. I feel like what is this guy hiding? I know I know I should trust more...NOT!

Unless you glance around and notice the guy's yard is manicured, his garage is immaculate, and his cars are just as clean as the bike.

Then you have a guy who just takes really good care of stuff.

I don't know, it depends on how old the used bike is....but a new tires would certainly be a plus in my book, regardless of my brand preference. I would never by buy a bike with a dirty air box/nasty filter, to me that speaks volumes on the neglect of maintenance, etc.

Tires do get worn out you know. He also could have done more trail riding that had gravel, rough rocks, etc. Would have worn the tires out more quickly. I ride only on the track and wore my 756s out in 8 months. I was pissed when I found out that the MX51s had just come out about a month after I bought the 756s. And I dont ride that hard, I dont ride on the rev limiter, but I wouldnt consider myself slow either.

I always buy bikes used. To me if the rest of the bike was in good condition, I would view new tires as a plus. Why? Becuase it would mean that I had a bike with new tires and would need to buy new tires later than a bike with 60% tires. :thumbsup:

It's one of those things that can add up; worn out tires, brakes, chain & sprockets end up being a chunk of change even if the bike is solid. Personally, I haven't considered tires as a deciding factor but I do take the dollar figure of all that expendible stuff when looking at the price. Plus it's what you'd call 'curb appeal' when selling a house- cosmetics and minor things in good shape lure many buyers. If it's a nice bike I'd do tires, if it's beat I wouldn't bother.

I always buy bikes used. To me if the rest of the bike was in good condition, I would view new tires as a plus. Why? Becuase it would mean that I had a bike with new tires and would need to buy new tires later than a bike with 60% tires. :thumbsup:

Even if those tires were Dunlop 739's? (or insert whichever brand/model YOU hate the most.)

What bike is the OP selling? Is it the 2005 CRF450X? When I buy a used off-road bike, I take the tires off, anyway, to inspect/replace the inner tubes and clean and check the rim, rim strip, rim locks, spoke nipples, and the inside of the tire. I hate dealing with flats on the trail.

Even if those tires were Dunlop 739's? (or insert whichever brand/model YOU hate the most.)

Yeah that is a good point. If the rest of the bike checked out and met my standards (ie spokes are good, HD tubes or Tubliss, etc) and the tires were new, there is a good chance I'd leave them.

You will not get the price difference in what it costs to buy new tires.

Worn tires are OK. Most people will not look at them and think they have to replace them as soon as they get home. If something is missing, cracked, broken off, etc., then address those kinds of issues.

A cleaned and oiled air filter and fresh transmission oil are cheap things to do.

Clean the heck out of it, too.